Shipping advice

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about starting to sell movies online but when I looked at the "sold listings", I've come across some numbers that doesn't add up concerning the shipping so I was wondering if there was something I was missing there!

I saw many sold DVD (most of them actually), sold for like 4-5$, with 2-3$ shipping fees, I did some calculation on Canada Post website and shipping 1 DVD cost about 14$ inside Canada (Regular parcel, 3 days), even if I chose "Lettermail" it's 5$ and it's not as protective for the products.

Am I missing something ?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Shipping advice

Many sellers use lettermail and reduce their postage costs with “discount” postage. These are older mint never used stamps from stamp collectors sold below face value as much as 30% or more discount or more with no sales tax sometimes.

Stamp collecting is a dying hobby for years and that is why so many stamps available. Denominations are lower than today’s rate so you may have to put 5-10 stamps instead of 1-3 on a DVD.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Shipping advice

Not dying, just changing.

The biggest change is that collectors are much more sophisticated these days, so fewer are accumulating stamps torn from envelopes or sheets of postage directly from the philatelic agencies.

The quality of exhibits at stamp shows is way better than it was in the 20th century. 

Another change is that it is attracting more women than men, both at the childhood end and at the retired end.  (One gap for both genders is that people tend to stop collecting stamps for a couple of decades when they hit puberty and discover sex. They return after the kids are in university.)

But yes indeed, there is a lot of discount postage available on eBay.  (*cough*)

And the Dominion of Canada has never demonetized any stamps. In fact, the stamps of Newfoundland are still valid for postage on Canadian mail.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Shipping advice

@fastforwardshop wrote:

I am thinking about starting to sell movies online but when I looked at the "sold listings", ... I saw many sold DVD (most of them actually), sold for like 4-5$, with 2-3$ shipping fees, I did some calculation on Canada Post website and shipping 1 DVD cost about 14$ inside Canada (Regular parcel, 3 days), even if I chose "Lettermail" it's 5$ and it's not as protective for the products.

A size 0 kraft paper bubble envelope will handle most regular (14mm thick) dvd cases and be under 200g, so $3.12 in stamps.  Some will even be under 100g ($1.90 in stamps).

Stamps I mostly source on eBay and aim for discounts of 25-35% off face value with no tax added.  You have to make sure the stamps on offer have never been used and still have gum or self stick. eBay special promo offers can make the price even better. A calculator or math skills is useful when putting stamps on the envelope.

Example: I bought stamps today at 30% off, free shipping and no tax added. When I use them to mail a dvd the $3.12 of stamps needed will only cost me $2.19  plus cost of the envelope to ship.

-..-

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Shipping advice

There is no money to be made selling DVDs, IMO. especially if you're Canadian UNLESS you have rare DVDs. I've personally sold a few of these.

I see DVDs sold for an average of $4 US including shipping. Americans have media mail which is super cheap. Canadians just can't compete.

There is a small market for Canadians buying from Canadians, but even then I find new DVDs sooo cheap on Amazon, Canadians would rather buy new from Amazon, or from a powerseller that sells CHEAP on ebay.

I figured I could make about $1-2 dollars per DVD. Ughhh. I typically don't list any single item I cannot make a $10 profit from (I consider that my minimum profit for the time it takes to post the listing, packaging it up and taking it to the post office AND risking a dishonest buyer).

I've had better profit selling my DVDs at garage sales and on Craigslist...
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Shipping advice

You can try for free on ebay, so might as well give it a shot.

Tracking is just not economical for low value items so give up on that. I don't see why oversize lettermail can't have basic tracking though, considering its mostly automated now.

Keep the package light for cheap lettermail. Cardboard is surprisingly heavy. I don't think you need bubble mailers for DVD cases, so just cheap kraft envelopes. Don't waste money going to the post office, just drop them in post boxes. Use a listing template to speed up the process. You can probably only make a few bucks profit on each so you need to get the entire labour process under 10 minutes to make it worth your while. (In my opinion)

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Shipping advice

See this thread:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Doesn-t-this-seller-know-he-is-losing-money/m-p/421373#M...

I purchased a CD from a listing that should be loosing money on the transaction.

Ian

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Shipping advice

Pffft...I see sellers making little to no profit all the time on ebay - and there's a multitude of reasons why'd they do so. Everyone has their own personal threshold for profits, even if it's a small loss. But, there are the odd sellers out there that are clueless, I suppose, sooo...

Of course, buyers are even worse. I can't figure out if the CAD buyers from out east that offer me $10 on one of my large makeup lots with free shipping are truly morons or just being super scummy? Maybe they think I can squeeze it all into a lettermail envelope...lol.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Shipping advice

@teenytrinkets wrote:
... Of course, buyers are even worse. I can't figure out if the CAD buyers from out east that offer me $10 on one of my large makeup lots with free shipping are truly morons or just being super scummy?

For the most part, the answer is neither. The majority of Canadians (who have never sold online) have no clue how much it really costs to ship stuff or that "free" shipping is funded from the selling price.

-..-

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Shipping advice

This is so true. I just started selling and am learning all about the shipping process and expenses. They don't teach you about this type of stuff. It seems like its so simple but I'm realizing there's an art to it.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Shipping advice

@travis7s wrote:

Tracking is just not economical for low value items so give up on that. I don't see why oversize lettermail can't have basic tracking though, considering its mostly automated now.

I think you've actually answered your own question.  How can you scan something that's being handled by automated processes?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Shipping advice

The automated process would include scanning the tracking barcode.

And most parcels have at least an invoice number when we pay for it sooooo.......

Just as the automated process sorts by the yellow spray on postal code.  (Although I'm not sure how much human labour is involved in putting the yellow ink on the envelope to begin with.)

If Canada Post were to ask small time online sellers what we need most, it would be cheap tracking-- or more precisely cheap Confirmation of Delivery.

Why can USPS do this but not Canada Post?

This can't be the reason Canada Post is profitable and USPS is struggling.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Shipping advice

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 13 of 13
latest reply