Shipping calculator Charging too much for domestic rates

I need help big time with this shipping calculator. Seems to be working fine for pricing out the international rates to the US but when i enter the same dimensions for a domestic rate, it gives me a crazy quote way more than the international one. i live in Canada and it should be cheaper than shipping domestic I would think. Please help im a new seller and i'm desperately trying to figure this out. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Shipping calculator Charging too much for domestic rates

marnotom!
Community Member
What shipping method are you using for your domestic sales?

What shipping method are you using for your international sales?
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

New sellers are often shocked by the price differential between domestic shipping -- where all the work is performed by Canada Post-- and international shipping, particularly to the USA--where a substantial part of the work is performed by another postal service which may have lower costs.

This is incomplete because it does not give Expedited rates, which are available with a Small Business Solutions number.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@caspervontedscollectorsshed wrote:

... when i enter the same dimensions for a domestic rate, it gives me a crazy quote way more than the international one. i live in Canada and it should be cheaper than shipping domestic I would think.

Couple of reasons Canadian shipping is higher than USA/International for small stuff:

1. Weight range breaks for US/Int'l are 100g, 250g, 500g, 1kg ...  versus the Canadian weight steps of 750g, 1kg...

That's a big first weight range for Canada, so small stuff is at a disadvantage. Their was some beta testing of having smaller weight breaks by Canada Post (250g, 500g) two years ago, but nothing has happened since.

2. Canadian shipping cost includes sales tax, US/Int'l has none.

For small not-easily-damaged stuff that is no more than 2 cm thick and up to 500g in weight, you can use oversize lettermail with postage stamps in Canada. Flat rate cost for anywhere in Canada, but no tracking, no insurance (but lots of items do not need that). Inexpensive.

001-100g ... $1.90

101-200g ... $3.12

201-300g ... $4.34

301-400g ... $4.98

401-500g ... $5.35

plus sales tax. Cheaper if you buy discounted stamps on ebay (unused mint stamps with gum can be found for 10-30% less than stamp face value).

For bigger stuff Canada Post also has flat rate boxes (up to 5kg in weight, tracked, to anywhere in Canada) in 3 sizes from $17.99 to $29.99 (plus tax). Available at most post offices/outlets. Pay in advance, use when needed.

Otherwise, if listing on eBay.CA use eBay's calculated shipping for Canadian parcels (Canada Post Expedited parcel is a good choice -- includes $100 free insurance, is tracked, comes with a delivery time guarantee). Use of calculated is recommended because parcel cost in Canada is variable depending on where it is going.

-..-

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
@caspervontedscollectorsshed, did you intend to offer Priority shipping on the Snow White DVD? Calculated price to me on Vancouver Island is over $65.

Just to add to what others have said about shipping to the US versus shipping domestically, there is no domestic equivalent to "Small Packet" shipping, which is a variant on oversize letter mail. This means that what can be shipped as an oversized letter to a destination outside of Canada has to be shipped as a parcel within Canada. The rate structure for parcels is completely different and not in the shipper's favour.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Also, verify all Canada Post shipping methods for parcels. I send modest size parcels of a few kg's on a regular basis and surprisingly, regular post is almost always higher in price than expedited. Express on the other hand is really expensive and I would only use that if the buyer requested it and was willing to pay for it which never happens.

Generally I find the automatic shipping calculator to be reliable. I can compare the rates directly by going to the Canada Post site then choosing "find a rate" and entering package details.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I believe that Expedited Parcel is only available to those with Solutions for Small Business numbers.

If the OP is only looking on the Canada Post site, those rates are not visible.

They do show when using Paypal, Shippo, or SnapShip to print a label.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I believe that Expedited Parcel is only available to those with Solutions for Small Business numbers. If the OP is only looking on the Canada Post site, those rates are not visible.

True, but Expedited does show up if you click on the Minimum online savings -- since that will display the level one SfSB rates using the calculator.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply