Shipping out CD's. Advice needed for shipping within Canada. Long story, sorry.

cdlover66
Community Member

Hi I sell CD's worldwide.  When I first started selling CD's I shipped them with the plastic CD cases and I used letter mail to both Canada and the US and light packet to International destinations.  

Then shipping costs went up and I decided a couple of years ago to ship the CD's without the jewel case.  With the jewel case, it was over 100 grams, without the jewel case it was about 95 grams.  I am sure a few sales suffered because some buyers are really **bleep** about having a jewel case.  Jewel cases are really cheap to buy, you can buy them at the $ store 2 for $1.   (I have seen some buyers give sellers negative feedback because the jewel case was scratched up or had a crack in it)

I know that you are not supposed to send a CD to the US as letter mail, or internationally but without the jewel case, it is a really thin envelope like a birthday card and weighs 95 grams or less.  

That has been working until now.  I have been offering free shipping within Canada and exact stamp cost for both the US and international as letter mail.   

I have not had any problems or been caught.  My sell through rate is about 10% of what I have listed and the average sale of the CD's is about $12.00 each.  (I only sell hard to find CD's, If I can't get at least $7 a CD, I do not waste my time selling it on ebay and use other methods)

On the board it has been mentioned that light packet weight has increased to 150 grams and with the cost of regular letter mail increasing, I am reconsidering my decision about jewel cases and shipping as letter mail.

So I have decided to:

Ship to the US, with a CD case light packet = 3.79 plus tax      I currently charge them $2.25 no jewel case.

Ship Internationally with a CD case light packet  =- 6.51 no tax   I currently charge them $4.50 no jewel case. 

For shipping within Canada what do I do?   I don't want to charge Canadians more than I charge international buyers.  I want to continue to offer free shipping which will be built into my CD price.  

Can I continue to ship letter mail without the CD case or with it?  Is is really letter mail in Canada as we do not have light packets?   We are taking about a small envelope 7" by 7" weighing between 95 grams and 140 grams.   Will I get caught and what will happen, will they return the item, charge the buyer??? 

Thanks for your advice.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Hi CDlover, i can tell you you can mail the cd with case as lettermail in canada. Under 100g would be $1.34 + tax or 200g $2.20 + tax. as long as it is no higher than 2cm. and no longer than 38cm.  In Canada you can mail anything as oversized letter mail as long as it is not over 2 cm high.  For the USA and international lettermail  only paper can be mailed as lettermail. In that case you must use light packet. I work for Canada post. Hope this helps

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

As for the "within Canada" question, what's the question?

FYI - I charge $4 to the USA and $6.75 overseas (with case of course).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Don't forget to look at your domestic rates in March as all lettermail rates are going up on March 31.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/rates.jsf   (rate sheet links on the right side)

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

evapa-4
Community Member

Does this still work as if right now? Have you been caught by customs?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@evapa-4 wrote:

Does this still work as if right now? Have you been caught by customs?

You tacked on to a ZOMBIE thread from 2014.

Much of the info is out of date. Light packet, for example, does not exist any more.

Small packet USA, although it is not officially tracked by Canada Post or USPS can (currently) be used for eBay sales as ebay has access to the scans.

small-packet-usa.png

And if you want to take the risk CD's can still look like oversize lettermail for the USA. I don't skimp on packaging, so a single cd is in the 200g range for $5.57 to the USA or $3.19 for Canada.  And if using discounted stamps you can trim the cost by 20-30% depending on your stamp bargain hunting skills.

-..-

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 7 of 7
latest reply