Small Packet Forms for US

I just had a sale to a US buyer.  Called my local post office and asked

if the small packet forms had to be completed online.  There was some

discussion on this a while back.  The answer is NO, they just have to be filled

out before arriving at the post office.  The PO is still ordering these forms and

they are current.  The problem was that many people were arriving at the PO with

the form NOT filled out and expecting the postal clerk to do it for them or assist them

with it.  Meanwhile. people are waiting in line.  So, the form does not have to be filled

out online but either manually or online they should be done before your trip to the PO.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The problem with using the paper forms is that the PM has to enter all the information that's on the form now, so it will take longer than it did a month or so ago for them for the manual forms, and the "line impact" will be greater that way....

If it is filled out electronically they just have to scan the form for the data collection piece....
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Not everyone has a computer.  I have found the postal clerks to be very quick

in entering this info. into the computer.  I have asked for a bunch of forms that

I keep at home in order to fill out ahead of time.  My visit this morning was about 4 minutes at the counter with this US delivery.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Yep it isn't a problem for one or so , I show up with 7 to 10 or so, larger groups is what's the problem.....
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I would hope that any business with five or more packages to send would have a printer.

It's my fellow Little Old Ladies that would have a problem.

Although to be fair, LOLs these days have been in the workforce since 1960 and probably using computers of some sort since 1995. Bill Gates is 65.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

It says on Canada Posts website that filling out online Customs forms is now MANDATORY.  But that is not the case?  We can still use the little white customs forms, as long as they are filled in completely?

I was told any package that is submitted to Canada Post that way will be returned to sender.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If you prepare the form at home and pay for the postage there, you can drop it in the mailbox.

Saves counter clerk time.

If you don't, the clerk will make it out for you at the counter.

And then there are those like me, who use stamps for payment and bribe the clerks with occasional boxes of chocolate.

Seriously though.  Anyone who is doing a lot of export package shipping will probably not find this a problem since that would be what they have been doing all along.

This will be a problem for those mailing occasionally, who do not own computers of any sort, nor smartphones, nor printers.

Those will be dealt with at the counter.

Still, bring chocolate, seriously.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Visit or call your local post office outlet for information on this.

I did and was told, as posted, that the forms were current and being

accepted as long as they were filled out before your visit to the counter !

Message 8 of 8
latest reply