So...how did this past week's "Free Tuesday" shipping go? :-)

After Canada Post's mess-up on the first "Free Tuesday", I'm wondering if anybody who used the feature encountered any problems on October 16th? 

I'm thinking of giving it a try on the 23rd, but I don't want to end up being accidentally charged for Xpresspost, only to have to do battle over the phone with CPC to get my money back. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: So...how did this past week's "Free Tuesday" shipping go? :-)

i have used all 3 so far with zero issues, and i used expresspost on all 3, just make sure once the coupon code is applied it zero's out your total..

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I'm thinking of giving it a try on the 23rd, but I don't want to end up being accidentally charged for Xpresspost, only to have to do battle over the phone with CPC to get my money back. 

October 2 -got in early before the website failed, delivered without problems

October 9 -package went to wrong post office, supposedly being redirected (last scan was Friday 12) -- this problem is the fault of the buyer giving the wrong postal code.

October 16 -local delay of some sort at the post office. Mailed in time for pickup on Tuesday, but not scanned at my local sorting facility until Friday.   And no strike to blame for the delay.

October 23 -will be taking another spin at roulette wheel.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

First package went fine--saved $20.

Second package- DD and I were in ON and went thrifting with my sister. DD found an Eddie Bauer down coat for $8, and dithered until I mentioned Free Tuesday shipping.

So I ended up fighting with DS's computer (a PC not a Mac) and had to open a new account (my 3rd SFSB account, sigh) to make a label.

Then I forgot, or they didn't offer, the free label, and I missed or wasn't shown how to find the Code,  so I shipped it anyway paying $18. 

After DD posted the parcel, I realized it was only $18 because I put in my home address and the parcel was travelling as  a Regional (BC to BC) and not National (ON to BC).

Swore DS to secrecy, because DD is sure I am a foolish old lady.  Which may or may not be true, but I for sure am a technodolt.

One more to go-- anyone need to stock up on postage?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Will it still be operational if the revolving strike is in progress?

I missed the first one because it had stopped working.

Save $17 on the second one.

No Canadian sales last week.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Actually 3 more free Tuesdays: October 23, October 30, November 6

-..-

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Had no problems.  Was able to use the free Tuesday twice so far & sent the parcels with Xpresspost.  Saved about $32.00 & the buyers got their parcels in 2 days.  So everyone was happy. Win! Win!

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I thought the free tuesday was only for Oct, does it include Nov 6?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I thought the free tuesday was only for Oct, does it include Nov 6?

The extra date was added as an apology because October 2 was badly screwed up with needed parts of the Canada Post website being out of action for over half the day.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

This is the month i personally use to restock, my cookie jar insurance funds.. 5 weeks at 15.00 a week gives me 75$ in the jar.. Knock on wood, usually enough to cover me for a year..

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

First package went fine--saved $20.

Second package- DD and I were in ON and went thrifting with my sister. DD found an Eddie Bauer down coat for $8, and dithered until I mentioned Free Tuesday shipping.

So I ended up fighting with DS's computer (a PC not a Mac) and had to open a new account (my 3rd SFSB account, sigh) to make a label.

Then I forgot, or they didn't offer, the free label, and I missed or wasn't shown how to find the Code,  so I shipped it anyway paying $18. 

After DD posted the parcel, I realized it was only $18 because I put in my home address and the parcel was travelling as  a Regional (BC to BC) and not National (ON to BC).

Swore DS to secrecy, because DD is sure I am a foolish old lady.  Which may or may not be true, but I for sure am a technodolt.

Google "free shipping tuesdays", CP has a single purpose website just to make us work a little for the code!

Just curious .... does your postage pricing rise in lock-step with CP?

First and second week ... forgot about it as I haven't been shipping parcels much this year. Shipping about 98 percent Lettermail. Should have used it for some higher value Lettermail.

Third week ... Sold a book over the weekend so had a good excuse to remember this time, in view of previous week's and year's site problems stayed up late and purchased a label at one minute past midnight, all went well. Was way past my nap time though, my wife probably appreciated the reduced decibels.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

@femmefan1946 wrote:
... anyone need to stock up on postage?

Google "free shipping tuesdays", CP has a single purpose website just to make us work a little for the code!

Just curious .... does ... postage pricing rise in lock-step with CP?

The code is real simple: the Tuesday's date

as in OCT2, OCT9, OCT16, OCT23, OCT30, NOV6

Discounted stamps can be used to buy Canada Post services over the counter (no online labels) at the face value of the stamps.

So a 25% discount remains a 25% discount -- you just need more stamps when the CP price goes up -- but it's still the same discount.

The exception are "P" stamps that will increase in value every time the basic lettermail rate is increased (so the discount actually gets bigger when purchased before a January 15 price bump and used after).  Current "P" face value is 85 cents (unchanged since 2014) which may be rising to 90 cents in 2019 (if approved).

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Canada-Post-letter-rate-increases-likely-for-1-19/m-p/40...

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Third week ... Sold a book over the weekend so had a good excuse to remember this time, in view of previous week's and year's site problems stayed up late and purchased a label at one minute past midnight, all went well. Was way past my nap time though, my wife probably appreciated the reduced decibels.

Glad you mentioned this -- I was planning to do the same thing (I'm a night owl anyway, so usually up until around 1:00 a.m.).  I just wasn't sure what CPC would consider the start of the business day in terms of getting free shipping, so now I know.  Thanks! 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Glad you mentioned this -- I was planning to do the same thing (I'm a night owl anyway, so usually up until around 1:00 a.m.).  I just wasn't sure what CPC would consider the start of the business day in terms of getting free shipping, so now I know.  Thanks! 

I believe it is Eastern time zone rather than local (but I could be wrong) for determining midnight.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

sales are so good that i haven't been able to use a single one free ship tuesday this month......go ebay!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

I believe it is Eastern time zone rather than local (but I could be wrong) for determining midnight.

I am located in Ontario and the promotion was active as soon as the clock turned past midnight local time. 

Message 16 of 16
latest reply