Standard promoted fee, things that make you go hmmmm

I've noticed a couple things over the last few weeks.

As others have identified my promoted impressions rate is lower than it used to be, not as dramatic or as of a certain day as others have seen.

I've noticed that the "suggested" promoted rate has risen about 50%, so for example, stuff that used to suggest 6.2% is now suggesting 10.1%.

I'm interested to know if others are noticing this incremental change in the suggested rate.

Theoretically this tells me the average promoted rate people are willing to pay is increasing in my categories.

Since mine hasn't changed if that is true it would explain why my impressions is lower now.

Looks like I'll have to try some top secret experiments.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Probably comes from the dynamic rate add-on a few weeks ago. If a lot use it, then i guess the suggested rate will increase as everyone is always at the suggested rate. Creating a sort of automated bidding. I took a look and actually most of my items are suggested at 9-14%, which is totally crazy. I don't think it was like this before too. Pretty sure they used to be 3-6%. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Went to the Times Colonist Annual Book Sale on Saturday, and have been listing ever since.

The suggested PL is up to 9% on Books.

That's on top of a 15% FVF for the category.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

There are a number of sellers that seem to be willing to pay very high PL rates, on the US boards I read sellers who claim that anything less that 12 or 15% is pointless so they actual use those high rates which of course will increase the suggested rate.

Personally I only use PL on my unsalable junk (what I list on this ID) and I only use the lowest rate. I get a lot of promoted impressions but they have been falling, hard to tell if it's because all impressions are falling or because 2% is too low to get much action anymore. Also could be that on this id I now only have the garbage of the garbage listed!

Of course there are probably major differences between Categories.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I look at PL as a loss leader.

It's been my observation that while I get more Views with PL than without, and while my sales have increased since I started using PL (at the minimum), what sells is not the PL listings, but  a spectrum.

I've said it before, PL seems to bring the boys to the yard, but they are buying banana splits not milkshakes.

Which may be why eBay now offers a version of PL which pays eBay immediately, instead of the seller -friendly original version that only pays them when the item actually sells.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I use other method: all my listings are at 7%, because this is the highest additional cost (makes around 10% with the shipping) I'm able to accept emotionally without regret .....  🙄

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I clicked "revise" on Listing A, saw "suggested promoting rate 15%".  I ignored it, did not revise.

Then clicked "revise" on Listing B, saw "suggested promoting rate 12%".  I ignored it, did not revise.

Then clicked "revise" on Listing C, saw "suggested promoting rate 10%".  I ignore it, did not revise.

Then clicked "revise" on Listing D, saw "suggested promoting rate 8%".  I ignored it, did not revise.

Same category listings.

Try it, and you'll see the "Wonder".

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I'll have to pay attention to that, I have noticed significant differences between subcategories, which makes sense, I haven't noticed a difference in them when I've got multiple items within the same category.

It is interesting that it "gradually" reduced the rate each time.

I don't actually know how it figures out the recommended rate, whether it is "category" specific or "item specific", from your results it looks to me like it is item specific, and it might be comparing the title to other "promoted" titles that would achieve similar results in a search to determine what the specific promoted suggested rate should be.

But if thats the case it is pretty remotely ironic that by chance each title was needing gradually less promoting the way that happened in your scenario.

I'll keep a closer eye out when I'm doing mine now when I have a chance and see what happens in my categories.

I've always ignored the suggested rates anyway, which looks like it is a good thing!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I'll have to pay attention to that, I have noticed significant differences between subcategories, which makes sense, I haven't noticed a difference in them when I've got multiple items within the same category.

It is interesting that it "gradually" reduced the rate each time.

I don't actually know how it figures out the recommended rate, whether it is "category" specific or "item specific", from your results it looks to me like it is item specific, and it might be comparing the title to other "promoted" titles that would achieve similar results in a search to determine what the specific promoted suggested rate should be.

But if thats the case it is pretty remotely ironic that by chance each title was needing gradually less promoting the way that happened in your scenario.

I'll keep a closer eye out when I'm doing mine now when I have a chance and see what happens in my categories.

I've always ignored the suggested rates anyway, which looks like it is a good thing!

@ricarmic 

2 observations regarding suggested rates.

1. Dreamworld from a majority of sellers perspective
  2. Best case scenario from eBay's perspective.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Tonight I "sell similared" 5 items all into the same category (from the same category they were auctions that did not sell and I SS's them into BINs), all 5 had the same suggested rate of 10.5% 

So at least if one is sell similaring to the same category, it appears that the suggested rate stays consistent.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Tonight I "sell similared" 5 items all into the same category (from the same category they were auctions that did not sell and I SS's them into BINs), all 5 had the same suggested rate of 10.5% 

So at least if one is sell similaring to the same category, it appears that the suggested rate stays consistent.

@ricarmic 

I've tried a number of tests since promoting became a thing. When I have selected a category (Books, CD's/DVDs, Electronics/Vintage items) to promote and start choosing, on every occasion similar items suggest rates all over the map. To my eye those rates are entirely random (whimsical). They have never been rates I would personally consider. I have tested with higher rates a few time and I've yet to see an uptick in sales.

As for end/sell similar that does not seem to have the same affect as it used. On average, majority of sales are for new listings. Older listings are just getting buried deeper and deeper.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Do you ever put older listings onto your Unsold List for a week or more then use Sell Similar (with or without changes) to relist them, hoping they will qualify as new listings for that tiny bump?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Do you ever put older listings onto your Unsold List for a week or more then use Sell Similar (with or without changes) to relist them, hoping they will qualify as new listings for that tiny bump?

@femmefan1946 

I've tried both ways. Immediately and delayed. No noticeable difference. As of late hasn't seemed to help 1 iota. 

Mostly currently concerned with the mega list of categories that were tinkered with noted in another currently running discussion. I did a random test on a collectable coffee tin I that is of a German brand. The item has been switched to a different category or sub-category (by ebay) with the only choice "Baileys" in the drop down. I would never identify something by an incorrect brand. I was unable to manually enter the correct brand.

How many other listings is eBay corrupting behind the scenes for sellers in similar situations? I found this one only by pure luck. With 1500 + listings it is next to impossible to proof these listings from memory. (As I noted in the other discussion, my listings were accurate when they were created originally.)

Would be interesting to confirm when eBay modifies a listing(by their internal changes) if that could cause it to have a spike in traffic? 

-Lotz

Message 13 of 13
latest reply