Strange feedback - would you reply to it?

I sold an item, a sewing pattern and received the following feedback: Great item and price. Seller works with you to lower price. I'm very happy. Its positive feedback, however I never lowered the price or the shipping cost. At first I thought she had just confused me with another seller but on checking her feedback I find that most of the time she leaves the same feedback for all her sellers. I just don't like buyers to think that I am willing to lower a price on a 7.99 item. Makes me look like I'm willing to take anything.  Not sure if I should reply to the feedback or not?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I too have had feedback that doesn't apply to me/my style and it was the same they left the same feedback to most everyone.

If this was my feedback I would simply mention that the price wasn't lowered for this particular item and the same feedback had been left with many of or the buyer's last NUMBEROF purchases.

The good news is that positives move off the first page so to speak pretty quickly and nobody's going to scan the postives, they'll scan the neutrals and negatives.

So if you think more than a few days, it will have solved itself!

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I would just ignore. No need to bring a negative reply to a positive feedback

I don't think it will affect you, people don't read feedbacks this deeply. No one will notice it once you have few additional feedbacks anyway. And if you reply, you will kinda highlight it

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Vote to ignore as well.   The response will stick out like a sore thumb and draw more eyeballs to it. 

If someone asks for a discount and mentions the feedback you can deal with it then "..that was an odd one since there was no discount and the buyer leaves the same feedback for everyone..."

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I would imagine most people don't read feedback unless it is a very high risk purchase and the percentage next to your name is really low. Think back to the last time you actually read feedback before buying an item.

If someone messages you and asks for a lower price because of the feedback, you can simply state that you believe that feedback was left in error and unfortunately you aren't able to accommodate a lower price for your items at this time. Or politely state that you accept offers through the 'best offer' feature in the listing, and that if the best offer feature is not enabled it is because you are unable to go lower on the price.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

No, do not reply!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I wouldn't reply.  A reply would only bring more attention to the feedback.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

A Response draws attention to the feedback, so a Response is usually a Very Bad Idea.

And as others have said, future buyers look for negs (and sometimes neutrals) not for positives.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

It's amazing what information posts like this bring about!

I'm actually also leaning toward the don't say anything approach as well, for this one.

I also see that it will be a while before it rotates off the top page for your feedback so that might factor in as well.

For fun I went back and found my last one, mine said "Nothing". Now I generally sell mixed lots so this isn't really a great thing to see. Interestingly it wasn't a mixed lot that they purchased. They'd actually left the same feedback for the last 16 different sellers they'd purchased from. (I left as a reply "Last 16 feedbacks from this buyer to 16 different sellers all say the same thing" - it is on page 12 now of my feedback, it sold back in June)

Today I went and checked their "feedback leaving". They'd left normalish feedback until the burst of "nothing"s (which I think meant they had "nothing for feedback") then all the sudden they resumed leaving normalish feedback. I presume some sellers questioned what it meant and that provoked them to begin leaving normal feedback again. However since resuming normal feedback I saw that they've at least once appeared to be leaving feedback to dealer A about dealer B's stuff (it was a neutral, they've left a few now), or that's what it looks like from the feedback and replies....anyway an interesting thing to go back and observe a few months after the fact.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Yes, decided to leave nothing. Don't care about feedback numbers anymore since I get about 1 feedback for every 15 items I sell lately and usually only when buyers are reminded by eBay I think.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

agree........don't leave a reply.  No need to highlight the feedback, then people are more likely to read it.  If anyone asks you about it, just tell them that was a special case.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Seriously? I got once this for an antique 150 years old document about Meissen porcelain from around 1880: "So pleased to have found these legs for our 14 year old TV!". No, I did not respond ......  😎

BTW, recently the feedback is dying. I get maybe 7%. Years ago I got around 65%. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply