Suggestions for a photo booth

One of my goals for the New Year is to set up a proper photo booth for taking pictures (obviously).  I'm currently using the top of my freezer with a white backdrop and natural lighting and this is working "fine" for me, I suppose, but I would like to take it to the next level.  I set up a proper shipping station last year which greatly increased my efficiency and organization.

I've resolved myself into getting proper lighting and a better camera (if required).  What I'm more interested in are suggestions for the booth itself.  The only thing I've thought up is building a corner out of 3 squares of white melamine.  Each section being 3' x 3' or so, front bottom edge cut at a 45 deg angle (or rounding it) so I'm not impaling myself upon it.  I'll set it up on legs or a re-purposed table.

What are your solutions?  Will I get too much reflection from the melamine?  Whatever I use needs to be hard wearing and durable as I take pictures of everything from used car parts to fine jewelry.

Thanks for your suggestions and feel free to share pictures!

Ian

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I'm a simple man.

I take my pictures literally on the kitchen table. I very much prefer to take pictures under natural light, although this time of year it is harder to find bright enough days. 

Years ago I purchased some photography lights, for all the work it took to set them up I didn't find the picture quality good enough to warrant continuing to use them, so I wait for bright enough days.

Because I sell stamps normally a black background works best for me.

From what I see of your material, you'll need to use both white and black backgrounds.

There is an easy solution for that, for over a decade now I've used foamboard (matte  black colour). It is easily and cheaply acquired at the walmarts of the world.

In your situation you'd need both white and black but the nice thing is they're easily interchanged!

It is also easily cut etc so you can also make your booth walls as necessary too.

Because it is relatively inexpensive it will allow you to experiment until you find what works for you.....

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I used to buy those cheap dollar store artist canvas for like 2$ each, and glue 4 together to make a light box to place small products. Worked a treat.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Find a book about digital photography...

Using a white background may not be the best you can do....

The white background will reflect back to the camera in such a way that the camera will decrease its aperture.... less light getting into the camera .....and most likely  create a  bit of a grey view...

A good book on photography will give the right information to build and light an area to get good photographs...

For me, It started with photography, before the digital camera.....  and that is how photography was learned and then applied to the digital camera.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Here is Camera Jim's guide to eBay photography. All kinds of tips and ideas on taking eBay photos from an eBay seller who sold for years on eBay. Web site is old and has not changed in years but tips and methods are still valid but reviews of camera are very dated.

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@ichopshop wrote:

One of my goals for the New Year is to set up a proper photo booth for taking pictures (obviously).  I'm currently using the top of my freezer with a white backdrop and natural lighting and this is working "fine" for me, I suppose, but I would like to take it to the next level.  I set up a proper shipping station last year which greatly increased my efficiency and organization.

I've resolved myself into getting proper lighting and a better camera (if required).  What I'm more interested in are suggestions for the booth itself.  The only thing I've thought up is building a corner out of 3 squares of white melamine.  Each section being 3' x 3' or so, front bottom edge cut at a 45 deg angle (or rounding it) so I'm not impaling myself upon it.  I'll set it up on legs or a re-purposed table.

If you plan to get some lights and you are going to have a permanent space set up for your photos, do a google search for - DIY lightbox for photography - and you will find many photos and tips for building a photo station for your items.  These setups can be modified by you, depending on how handy you are, to work for the items you want to photograph. You could even plan it so that your backgrounds were easily interchangeable from one colour to another, or easy to change as they wore out or got stained. 

What are your solutions?  Will I get too much reflection from the melamine?  Whatever I use needs to be hard wearing and durable as I take pictures of everything from used car parts to fine jewelry.

I don't think melamine will work very well at all. You are right in worrying about reflections. Anything shiny is going to give you hot spots, no matter what lighting you use. Whatever material you use should have a matte finish. The foamboard suggested in another post is a great idea. It is fairly durable, and can be easily and cheaply replaced if if gets stained or worn. 

Thanks for your suggestions and feel free to share pictures!

I know on camera flash is not the ideal lighting, but it is the easiest. If you get a better camera try to get one that allows you to adjust the strength of the flash. If you can reduce the flash power, sometimes flash can be used as a light source or fill light. If the flash is full strength though, it is usually to harsh for lighting, and you will get flares or hot spots on the item. Shooting on a bit of an angle can also help to deflect glare. 

Ian

Message 6 of 6
latest reply