The 2020 Spring Seller Update

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Your Spring Seller Update is here.

The dot com release  02-26-2020 08:01:16 AM

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Your-Spring-Seller-Update-is-here/ba-p/30706242

Now a matter of confirming which the noted changes will affect dot ca directly(automagically) or indirectly and/or  will arrive shortly, down the road or not at all or be a shadow of what dot com sellers see? (ebay dot ca light)

-Lotz

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Image result for waiting for other shoe to drop

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Kinda scary that they need ebay expert's on hand to answer any questions you may have????

My first question would be are these expert's actually selling on ebay, or are they just ready , and rehearsed to answer the questions they already know are coming???

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Just would be nice if something....Anything.... showed up on the Spring Update that turned into a substantive improvement to increase sales. Cosmetic changes, removing feature are just causing sellers AND buyers to be less impressed with the platform.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

Kinda scary that they need ebay expert's on hand to answer any questions...

Managed Payments  scream

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis 

Doesn't dot com already have UnManaged Glitchy Annoying Payments (UGAP for short) already or has it been only partially implemented, going by discussions/beefs/issues already reported?

-Lotz

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Last I heard only 20 000 USA sellers are in Managed Payments (with 1.1 billion in sales).  Further expansion in the USA for 2020.

One of the promised carrots for MP is a 10 year history of sales (rather than the current 90 days).

-.-

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Your Spring Seller Update is here.

The dot com release  02-26-2020 08:01:16 AM

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Your-Spring-Seller-Update-is-here/ba-p/30706242

Now a matter of confirming which the noted changes will affect dot ca directly(automagically) or indirectly and/or  will arrive shortly, down the road or not at all or be a shadow of what dot com sellers see? (ebay dot ca light)

-Lotz

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

The dollar value is capped on this policy, but given how many buyers routinely lie on the reason for returns to force free return shipping this will prove problematic for some sellers not setup with a US return solution.  I get what they are trying to implement given the pain of international returns but without a countermeasure like tracking the number of requests a buyer makes this will just encourage an expansion of return fraud here. Also not sure where the 3 business day requirement number was pulled out of given how few US carrier options guarantee that time frame, but whatever.

Changes to handling “Item not as described” return requests for international sellers

We recommend that all international sellers targeting US buyers by listing items on eBay.com provide their buyers with a return address in the US. When a return has to be shipped internationally, buyers must wait substantially longer for refunds than they are accustomed to when returning items domestically. When you do not provide a US return address and your buyer requests to return an item that doesn't match the listing, you need to accept the return and provide the means to return the item within 3 business days. Otherwise, we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from you without requiring the item to be shipped back under eBay Money Back Guarantee. Starting June 1, 2020, we may decide these cases after the 3 business days elapse without requiring the buyer to contact eBay. This change will apply to returns valued up to $25

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

nothing overly exciting here with the .com version of the Spring Seller Update. Nothing offered that will make a difference to me as a seller...

This update will not have any impact or change anything for me.

Returns: eBay had already made returns easy for buyers and now they are simply saying Sellers Beware! ....Returns for USA buyers are going to be made even easier than ever!!

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I did like this:

New protections against buyers you previously blocked

You now can cancel a transaction from a buyer you previously blocked if they purchase another item from you and we’ll also protect you from any defects or feedback. While hundreds of millions of transactions are completed on eBay each year without any issues, a very small percentage of buyers aren’t good trading partners. When this happens, you can block a buyer so they can’t purchase from you again. If they try to purchase from you again, we have your back.

When you identify a buyer who shares the same name or shipping address with a previously blocked account, or is engaged in the same abusive behavior, you can cancel the transaction. We’ll protect you from any feedback or defects associated with the transaction when you request we remove the Feedback and defect in the Seller Help page. Whenever a buyer violates the Abusive Buyer policy, report the buyer to us.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I missed that, I’ll have to go back and read that but according to what you quoted, the  3 business days refers to providing a label, not to the delivery time.  I’ve read a lot of posts where the international seller just ignores the buyers request for a label.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I missed that, I’ll have to go back and read that but according to what you quoted, the  3 business days refers to providing a label, not to the delivery time.  I’ve read a lot of posts where the international seller just ignores the buyers request for a label.

That makes sense looking back at the other changes they are implementing. Some of the other changes seem to orientated towards ensuring sellers respond and extending the window for a buyer to return an item once a return is initiated. This is likely coming up as an issue due to the huge influx of China based sellers using US 3PL solutions, slapping USA seller logos all over their photos then telling buyers who experience a problem that the have to return product to China. 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis 

Oops. My apologies!!  🙂

-Lotz

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

For smile and chuckles the dot com Spring Update includes a 5 question survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/sellerupdate

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/sellerupdate 

-Lotz

If that link does not work it's at the end of their announcement.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

How is a small Canadian seller who sells in the U.S. supposed to provide an address in the US? If we are to accept a return in 3 days, how are we supposed to send a US buyer a return shipping label? When I've called to ask Customer Service how to do it, they have no idea. This and issue that sellers from Canada have been having for a very long time.
Do you want Canadian sellers to stop selling to the US? Is that it? Should I increase my prices to over $25? Canadian sellers selling on eBay.com are always on a "gray" zone in between the Canadian and US websites.
Also, you've never ever have defined an "item that does not match the description", it can be interpreted in many ways and be a free card for abuse since you don't even question, ask why it doesn't match the description. I've had some of these and most buyers don't seem to really want to return the item but to find a way to keep it for free. I sell used clothes and I don't take returns. Any store that sells used clothing don't take them. Some of them just take "exchanges". I'd set up an used clothing rental business if the point was for buyers to use the items and then return them. I know there are other reasons for returns and that I'm not infallible, but decent buyers are usually the ones willing to work things out without problems or issues.
When is eBay going to have a seasonal update that includes something that is really exciting, useful for the sellers and that makes us feel that eBay appreciates our businesses ?
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

The US return shipping address is just a suggestion, I don’t plan on having one.  As far as sending a USPS label, you can do one in Shippo and email it as a PDF.  

Right now, any item that a buyer says is not as described is considered by eBay to be not as described regardless of the reason. We are expected to pay return shipping by either sending a label or by sending the money for  postage.  Many if your return stipulations in your listings are unenforceable as they go against ebays money back guarantee. 

I know that clothing is a tough category to sell in but you might find that having a return policy would result in the same amount of returns but some buyers may return for buyers remorse so they will have to pay for return shipping.  Also, if you charge for shipping rather than having ‘free shipping’ you don’t have to refund the original shipping amount for buyers remorse returns.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Great job of capturing the thoughts of 99% of all Canadian E-Bay Sellers !!! There are no safeguards anymore for Sellers on E-Bay, negative feedback option does not exist for Sellers and Sellers are losing everyday to scam artists and thieves. I recently had a Buyer that paid over $90 for a unopened 1985 OPC Hockey Wax Pack straight out of an unopened box and this skeet opened the pack after I sent it registered, insured with tracking and then claimed that the cards were not real (guess he did not find a mint Mario Lemieux rookie card) so after asking for pictures and proof 5 times and receiving nothing from this Buyer, E-Bay rules in favor of the Buyer who signed on this past December and has 11 feedback including 3 feedback saying he is a con artist, scammer and thief and I asked E-Bay to review these comments and guess what he wins !!!! Wow, so much for this PowerSeller, blah, blah , blah 25 year member !! Again great comments and nothing will change unless Sellers get together and let E-Bay know who is paying all of the millions in fees to their company cause they just do not get it !!!!

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 

I’ve read a lot of posts where the international seller just ignores the buyers request for a label.

Given the cost of tracked international shipping, that makes perfect sense.

It can be less expensive for the seller to accept the Claim and lose the procurement cost +fee+shipping costs than to pay for tracking.

• Many sellers feel (not think) they lost the selling price of the item, but that is a virtual amount until the money is in the bank.

It is worth mentioning again and again, that we can send USPS Return Shipping Labels through Shippo.

In my very limited experience, the scammer buyer did not use the label, did not return the item, and I won the Claim.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@canoltrail 

so after asking for pictures and proof 5 times and receiving nothing from this Buyer,

Which meant you lost the cards, the money and gained a Defect for not voluntarily refunding.

You are allowed to demand the Return of the purchase, even damage, before refunding. Even if you have to pay for the return shipping. (See Shippo above).

If he doesn't return the (damaged) items, you win the Claim and do not have to refund.

including 3 feedback saying he is a con artist,

And those sellers opened themselves to Defects for leaving negative feedback.

And obviously, you, like most sellers, did not see the negs before the purchase. Which is why feedback is pretty useless.

If they had demanded the return of their goods, they still might have made the refunds, but at least (small comfort) the scammer would have had to do some work and wait for this ill gotten gains.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply