This is getting spupid

Every time I send an Expedited Package I am notified that I underpaid - every time.

What is bothering me is the amounts.  They are always under a buck. These are big packages in the $30 to $45 dollar range.

The amounts they claim I underpay are like these examples: .34 cents, .70 cents, .68 cents. This is nuts amount like that must be in the 1/4 of a centimeter range. The measurements of my packages are in the 35 to 50 centimeter range and are going to vary slightly no matter who measures them - my measurements are accurate. This is really bugging me - getting nickle and dimed by the Post Office.

Any one know who does the measuring - a machine or a person?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

This is getting spupid

@rosscd57 wrote:

At the local end it's a person.  While on it's way the handling equipment has computer measurements.

How are you buying your shipping?

Shippo(eBay), PayPal, Canada Post EST Online, Canada Post Snap Ship, over-the-counter or something else.

I've been charged once in the last 3 years and that was when using Canada Post's EST Online.

Those are small amounts, almost like CPC was making adjustments to the fuel surcharge rate (changed every month).

-..-

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

If you have a Business Solutions number..... then

First at a Postal outlet... the discount is 5 % ... the minimum allowed.

If you go to the website... and determine the cost of postage... the discount is about 7 %  and higher...My last calculation showed 8.5 %

Do the following.... for Expedite parcel Canada

(1) Start with the Regular Price number  from the website calculation... this is the same for Regular Parcel  And Expedite parcel before the minimum online savings calculation is made... the business discount ..... is calculated 

(2) Multiply the Regular price from (1)  by 0.95... this will give you the correct 5 % discount

(3) Multiply the Discount Price  from (2) by the fuel surcharge....  The current fuel surcharge is 10.5 %.....  and can vary

Link to ... about fuel surcharges.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=fuel_surcharges_on_m

(4) Multiply the number from (3) By GST or HST, depending where you live.

This final number should be the same as the  price at a postal outlet.....

-------------------------------

The website gives the wrong final number because  the discount percentage is about 7 %  and higher   where it should be 5 %

Everything got adjusted on the computers at a postal outlet... but not on the website.

Canada Post's new reality

Message 3 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

I am having the same problem, it has happened about 6 times now. I started adding some weight above the correct weight, and adding 1 or 2 cm to each measurement, and it stills comes back as underpaid. I phoned Canada Post and they told me it was measured by a laser scanner and correct. I really don't know how it can be, I even measured my tape measure in case it has stretched.

The CP rep. said I must have measured it incorrectly, 6 times?  I don't think so. I am now going to ask the post office to measure for me, and write it down and get it signed. It has only been under $4 each time, but that mounts up.

Message 4 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

cumos55  - you did not read the question my friend.

Message 5 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

l

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

At the local end it's a person.  While on it's way the handling equipment has computer measurements.

Shippo(eBay), PayPal, Canada Post EST Online, Canada Post Snap Ship, over-the-counter or something else.

I am using PayPal and Canada Post

Message 6 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

@rosscd57

Would this have anything to do with the volumetric vs gravimetric measure issue?  There have been two or three threads on this Board during the past 6 months or so on this subject.  What made me think this was that you state they were larger parcels.  I was charged an additional small amount on several occasions -- just as you -- for larger expedited parcels after Canada Post "re-calculated" them to volumetric.

This hasn't happened recently because I haven't shipped large parcels for a while.

Message 7 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

Before you jump and down....  

Look at the website... do the calculation... and then compare to the result for Expedite at a postal outlet...

Just a start in understanding how Canada Post does its calculation.... on the website versus at a postal outlet.

This basic calculation should help one understand what is happening

I use this basic information to determine how much I should charge for postage  for shipping within Canada.

Message 8 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

"... GST or HST, depending where you live...."

I wish it were that simple.  It is not.

The tax being charged will sometimes be charged based on the province of the shipper (seller) while at other times the tax will be calculated based on the province of the recipient (buyer).

It depends on

1) the actual service being used

2) status of the shipper (seller) individual or business

Spend a few minutes on the Canada Post website calculator.  From your province, select ON and AB (one with HST, the other with GST).

Do the calculations on both using "Parcel Post", then "Expedited" or "Priority".  Pay attention to the tax rate being charged (by Canada Post) in all instances.

And life does go on.

Message 9 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

@rosscd57 wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

I am using PayPal and Canada Post

Ever consider using the eBay discount through goShippo.com for Expedited Parcel in Canada?  It will save you an extra 5-6% off the shipping price.

Message 10 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

Hi there 

IM fighting right now a lot of overcharges but i catch them and i have a proof.The measurements at the counter are not whats important its a laser machine that get the measurements and if the package has an edge somewhere will measure there so thats why try to include it  this and than watch out . Write your measurements or just the D of CPC .will take you 2-3 weeks read your invoices .also when you print your labels try to refresh your PC log in and out you will be surprized what you will see.Make a screenshot of everything and send to your sellrep.Grab them by the neck.If you need more info let me know i will be more than happy to help .Maybe  we all could get in action together .

Ah and keep all your records ,notes etc...

Message 11 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

When you do a calculation for cost of postage on Canada Post's website. 

For parcels the ship to postal code identifies whether   the tax charged is GST or HST

and HST  is 13 % for ON or 15 % for NB, NS, PE and NL.

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

What happens when they claim you underpaid?  Does the package get returned to you?  How do you add a dollar or two to the original postage?  Just wondering how that works.  

Clearly, even there are actual errors, these are for the most par honest mistakes and as such overpayments and underpayments will cancel each other out, but I'm willing to bet that the PO never reimburses anyone for overpaying.

Am I right?

Message 13 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

I get an email from Paypal saying I owe  *** amount for underpayment, and I will be unable to print another shipping label until it is paid. When I go to do another label, there is the payment needed for the underpayment before I can continue.

Message 14 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

comos55 - "...the ship to postal code identifies whether   the tax charged is GST or HST  and HST  is 13 % for ON or 15 % for NB, NS, PE and NL."

As I wrote earlier (and several times over the years), it is NOT that simple.

Using a seller shipping from MB to ON for example:

1) shipping by regular parcel, the shipper (seller) only pays 5% GST (the rate applying to MB (same as if the seller were purchasing postage stamps to affix to the parcel)

2) shipping the same parcel by Expedited or Priority, the shipper (seller) will be charged 13% HST

There will be no difference, of course, if both are GST only provinces.  The "fun" starts when one province is GST and the other HST or when the two HST provinces have different tax rates.

As suggested earlier, spend some time on the Canada Post website calculator testing many variations.

Now, back to the original question, I have no way of knowing if the undercharge problem is related to taxes or measurements or weight.

Message 15 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

In terms of measurements, I tend to enter a couple cm longer and a heavier weight when I print my label, so I haven't experienced above problem yet. Usually when I do mail expedited parcel my buyer is buying a lot, so I can afford paying an extra buck or two into shipping to make sure it delivers.
Message 16 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

Before they where charging my credit card -3 years ago >now since i have a business account i receive invoice . I watched them out with magnified glasses.And i catch them .lol

I even follow all my deliveries .Because they cheat i have range from 1-5 business days and i open tickets.Its just business 

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

You are right on that one they dont like to get money out of their pockets .The word ombudsman open the doors larger .They try to eat us the small guys so we need to get smarter thats all

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

The website gives the wrong final number because  the discount percentage is about 7 %  and higher where it should be 5 %

The website isn't wrong....it  gives the minimum percentage off for online shipping.   Even if you have a small business card and purchasing your labels at the counter instead of printing your postage online then course the amount you paid is not going to match the minimum online savings.  It's less expensive to purchase online.

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

This is getting spupid

for the provinces that has HST they charge you just HST and the rest is just 5%.Im in Quebec so here its different for me 

Message 20 of 51
latest reply