Threatening buyer

Sold a magazine to this buyer on Thursday. Charged him $4.95 for shipping. Shipped on Friday morning. It cost me $12.10 which I paid but without tracking. Still the post office clearly shows date of shipping and destination (zip code) sent to.  Friday afternoon buyers says that he made a mistake and wants to chose something else. I politely explain that the item has been shipped. I leave for the day and this morning find three messages from the buyer calling me a dishonest piece of SH*** and using foul language and a threatening tone. What is this ? And buyer has more than 1000 + feedback. How can people be so uncivilized ? Will EBAY do anything ? For sure he is going to claim he never received the item and I will have to refund but I cannot believe that EBAY permits this kind of behavior. I am at a lost for words...

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Threatening buyer

If you sell to enough people, sooner or later you'll catch a problem buyer. It happens to us all.

As a note, one also doesn't know what is happening on their side.

One time I got an extremely nasty message from a buyer exceptionally upset about what they received, they were threatening to contact papers, associations etc about me (apparently they were a journalist for papers in my selling area). I sent one of my pre-constructed "professional" letters advising them of their options to resolve (that's why I use form letters they are much better worded than what I feel like saying in the moment). Much to my surprise I got a totally different response from them the next day, they happened to open my package the same day their spouse lost their job and that sent them over the edge which caused the extreme response. The issue was positively resolved after that.

All you can do is what you can do. Make sure to just respond politely with the situation, that the item is on its way, they have options when it gets there and that you'll be happy to work with them to resolve it. It looks like you will have to repeat that a couple times based on what I read.

I would probably block them now.

If they turn out to be a knob, yes you can lose, but no worse that if it were an actually MIA item which you can use your "cookie jar insurance" to cover (assuming you have).

It is best (but very hard) to just focus on what you can do and not let them bug you.

Keeping it professional and minimizing the time it takes you to ultimately resolve are your main goals in situations like this IMO.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Threatening buyer

I got a bunch of these from a buyer who purchased 6 lots including expensive yarn, paid for each one separately and then wanted me to refund all the extra shipping cost. I refunded quite a bit, she was still not satisfied, she threatened neg. feedback. eBay rep. told me I actually didn't need to refund anything because my listing clearly stated to ask for a combined shipping invoice. Then the negs. started, eBay deleted them, then she said yarn was not as described, it was moth eaten!! This was brand new yarn.

Nasty messages so I blocked her, several phone calls to eBay who were very kind and decided in my favor.

I don't think eBay allows threats and bad language, do phone them, it is possible again now. They can read the messages that they sent you.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Threatening buyer

I am amazed that 30 minutes after I complained to EBAY, action was taken against the buyer. Felt very good to hear EBAY taking my side on the matter. I remained polite with the buyer but still it kind of ruined my morning. I've learned to keep a very professional attitude when dealing with those buyer. And 15 minutes ago, a buyer who I had refunded because package never arrived, told me that he finally received the items and wanted to pay for them. Very honest on his part as he could have kept silent about it. So I am encouraged to see that for every rotten apple out there there are 100 great buyers
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Threatening buyer

So glad you got a good result, I have been impressed several times by eBay putting things right ( most of the time), it's always worth a call. Buyers like this shouldn't get away with it.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Threatening buyer

Yes it is so hard to remember the 99% good buyers when the other 1% show up from time to time!

Excellent news that it got looked after too!!!!
Message 6 of 6
latest reply