Tracking not updating

Just curious. I've only been selling for a few months and I've seen eBay tracking be behind by a couple of days but I now have some listings delivered weeks ago still showing no updates at all in eBay. Is it always this bad? (The CP updates are all accurate and up to date)

It's annoying because the CP page for checking status doesn't list the item so it's frustrating going one by one there to see the status. Would be nice if the ebay page worked and you could see everything  on one screen.

So anyway, was just curious if the ebay tracking updates were always this bad because I hadn't seen it this bad in my short time.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Tracking not updating

No there do seem to be more problems, and most are being blamed on the pandemic.

Not only are there fewer workers (sick leaves, shut downs, family leaves) but those affect not only the postal system plants and carriers, but also the sub-contractors* who face their own worker shortages.

And there has been a surge in online shopping during the shutdown which makes the workload greater just as the workforce shrank.

The best advice is, don't poke the bear.

If your customer is not complaining, don't worry.

You need that confirmation of delivery only if there is a dispute and the Canada Post confirmation is as acceptable as the eBay one.

If your own purchases are not arriving, tracking doesn't protect you, it is a Seller Protection against unwarranted Not Delivered claims. Check the last estimated delivery date eBay gave you and mark that on your calendar. If it passes you can open a Dispute in the Resolution Centre.

*Many years ago we had a family friend who was fairly high in the PO adminsitration, working on logistics. They not only have contracts with every airline in Canada to carry mail, but were constantly scrambling to find one-off contracters to drive or fly to isolated communities. He had a very funny story about hiring a helicopter which got in to the delivery point, and then could not leave for a week.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Tracking not updating

@femmefan1946 wrote:

No there do seem to be more problems, and most are being blamed on the pandemic.

Not only are there fewer workers (sick leaves, shut downs, family leaves) but those affect not only the postal system plants and carriers, but also the sub-contractors* who face their own worker shortages.

And there has been a surge in online shopping during the shutdown which makes the workload greater just as the workforce shrank.

The best advice is, don't poke the bear.

If your customer is not complaining, don't worry.

You need that confirmation of delivery only if there is a dispute and the Canada Post confirmation is as acceptable as the eBay one.

If your own purchases are not arriving, tracking doesn't protect you, it is a Seller Protection against unwarranted Not Delivered claims. Check the last estimated delivery date eBay gave you and mark that on your calendar. If it passes you can open a Dispute in the Resolution Centre.

*Many years ago we had a family friend who was fairly high in the PO adminsitration, working on logistics. They not only have contracts with every airline in Canada to carry mail, but were constantly scrambling to find one-off contracters to drive or fly to isolated communities. He had a very funny story about hiring a helicopter which got in to the delivery point, and then could not leave for a week.

Sorry - I don't think you quite understood the question. Canada Post is fine it has all the updates and life is good. It's just not feeding into ebay for sporadic shipments. I had one shipment delivered 2 weeks ago and CP shows it. eBay still says Tracking number received. 

No one is complaining I just wondered from experience how bad eBay was at updating tracking - I knew it wasn't great, but I didn't think it was this bad. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Tracking not updating

in normal times eBay and Canada post are almost exactly the same in updating tracking info, but in the last 2 months there has been a huge lag in time, for the Canada post tracking updates to transfer over to ebay.. And some are never updating, have a packaged delivered almo9st a month ago, still not updated on eBay.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Tracking not updating

This is an issue I've dealt with as well. Over the last few months or so eBay tracking has been out of sync, especially with Canada Post, usually 1-2 days behind.

I can't tell you what the issue is for certain but I'm leaning towards another eBay site problem.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Tracking not updating

I have had the same happen, should we be worried. Lets say an ebayer decides they want to say they didn't get the package. How long of a period does ebay allow for a INR claim and not sure but does a Tracked item stay forever in Canada posts records for proof? 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Tracking not updating

The concern is buyers check tracking. They want to know when their stuff will arrive. In most cases why they chose a service that included tracking. If eBay's tracking system is not working, it needs to fixed.

Intl Xpresspost shipment dropped off and scanned in person a post depot on 25th. No scans in eBay. As per CP item arrived in Mtl for forwarding to destination on 26th.

Results since the most recent Ebay update are the norm, not an exception. (**Purged tracking in eBay issue.)

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Tracking not updating

I'm not sure how long that information stays in the Canada Post system but I doubt  that it is forever.  USPS will show tracking info for 90 days.

ebay allows an inr claim to be filed within 30 days after the last expected delivery date.  PayPal allows 180 days and most credit cards are probably about the same.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Tracking not updating

I have had 9 of my parcels delivered in May 2021 and they have not been updated on the ebay site.   It shows that they have been shipped and when I go to Canada Post's site they all show as being delivered.   I did receive feedback for some of them, but now I have resorted to writing in a note with the delivery date to help me keep my records straight.   Wish Ebay could fix this problem. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Tracking not updating

Tracking is a Seller Protection.

It is very important that eBay keep these delivery dates up to date.

But, if the buyer is not complaining don't poke the bear.

If the buyer does complain, give them the carrier's delivery number.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Tracking not updating

marnotom!
Community Member
My hypothesis is that Canada Post transmits tracking data in daily batches to eBay and that something has fouled up the transmission of these data, either on CPC’s end, eBay’s end, or both.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Tracking not updating

Yes it's always bad. Wait till Christmas for bad.. Depending on what you sell it may be a good idea for each or at least some sales to send the buyer a msg saying "Your item has been shipped. Canada Post's Website is the most up to date tracking and better than eBay." That said if you ship to Europe about 25% of shipments that are delivered go unreported. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Tracking not updating

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 13 of 13
latest reply