Tracking numbers disappearing. Again.

Check your 'Manage All Orders' page.  You may find some of the tracking numbers you've uploaded have vanished.  This happened a couple of months ago and the prolem is back.

If you uploaded the tracking number originally,  DON'T upload it again.  It causes all kinds of problems if you do.  I can't remember what the problems were but i know you should not upload the tracking a second time.

If you click on the 'add tracking' link the tracking number you originally entered should still be there, which is at least some kind of evidence you uploaded it at the time of shipping.   But don't save the information again, that's the same as re-uploading it and it gets recorded as being uploaded late.

Needdless to say, i wish glitches like this would stop happpening.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Tracking numbers disappearing. Again.

@fergua3 Good advice!

That happened to me a few months back, I made themistake of re-saving on a few and got hit with some late shipments. 90% of the time I exceed my handling time and I never ship late, it's something I take pride in and my buyers appreciate.

Not sure if you are experiencing this, half of my trackings in July and June have not updated as delivered on eBay.  Never seen anything like it before, in previous years I would see the odd one here or there.   I fear if an incompetent rep looks at my order status page they will suspend my account lol

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I'm having the same problem, which is why I came here, to see if anybody else was having this issue. It is only the last few orders, but disconcerting.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

If you uploaded the tracking number originally,  DON'T upload it again.  It causes all kinds of problems if you do.  I can't remember what the problems were but i know you should not upload the tracking a second time.

...because it resets the field, totally blowing away all eBay tracking history up to that point, thus making your update the new Shipped Date.

If anyone ever feels the impulse to update an already uploaded and validated Tracking Number, take a deep breath,  ease your fingers slowly off the keyboard, back completely away from your desktop, and maybe even take a fresh air break until your head clears...just for good measure.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@fergua3 

When it happened to me earlier this year, the trackings that dissappeared the 'carrier' was CPC which is Canada Post.  At the time when I put in my tracking numbers and selected a carrier eBay displayed only CPC but later changed and has remained as Canada Post.

I remembered that, check them maybe you have something similar but refer to @doc_scribe use common sense! haha

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@doc_scribe wrote:

@fergua3 wrote:

...because it resets the field, totally blowing away all eBay tracking history up to that point, thus making your update the new Shipped Date.

If anyone ever feels the impulse to update an already uploaded and validated Tracking Number, take a deep breath,  ease your fingers slowly off the keyboard, back completely away from your desktop, and maybe even take a fresh air break until your head clears...just for good measure.

eBay to be purging/losing tracking entirely randomly. 

1. Shipment Alberta to BC Expedited Aug 5...Shows Delivered August 9 Tracking is now blank.

2. Shipment Alberta To USA(MA) Aug 12 Small Packet Air Manually entered. eBay tracking shows arrived LAX on 14th. Processed

3. Shipment Alberta to Ont Expedited Aug 15 AM with Shippo. Tracking ported to eBay no issues.

4. Shipment Alberta to BC Expedited Aug 15 PM with Shippo. Tracking info blank in eBay.

Until this is resoved important to monitor tracking info for reliable porting to eBay. As noted above, updating system after the fact could potentially cause orders that appear to have been shipped late when in actuality they weren't.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Until this is resoved important to monitor tracking info for reliable porting to eBay. As noted above, updating system after the fact could potentially cause orders that appear to have been shipped late when in actuality they weren't.

-Lotz

My most absurd example was a U.S. shipment "Shipped April 20" and "Delivered April 20".  No other tracking info remained.

Bottom line as a seller; I'm a pragmatist. In this case, it's not only the "glitch", but the "unpredictability" of its recurrence. 

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@fergua3 

@mr.special-editions 

@doc_scribe 

@abodyduster 

From dot com:

25 Tracking Numbers have vanished ???? - The eBay Community

Reported as per discussion May 17th. Ticket created approx May 19. Update from Community team member post 40 Aug 16. 

-Lotz

Note: Part of the problem appears to be connected to 3rd party tools.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Since I went back to using Canada Post directly via their Snap Ship and manually putting in my trackings I have not seen any disappear.  Still have a large amount of the trackings never updating.  If you use snap ship, you can sign yourself up for delivery updates it's located on the 1) 'From' under where you put your email address, check off the box 'Send Delivery Status Updates'

All your delivery confirmations will be emailed to you, easy way to keep track and records

There's also the same option for the reciever so they get real time tracking updates, unfortunately with eBays new invoice we no longer get the recievers email.  I'd recommend not using the random letter/number eBay email under the buyers name (purchase details) when you click view order.  eBay sends email replys when CP sends the tracking updates that you are violating a policy.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@mr.special-editions wrote:

Since I went back to using Canada Post directly via their Snap Ship and manually putting in my trackings I have not seen any disappear.  Still have a large amount of the trackings never updating.  If you use snap ship, you can sign yourself up for delivery updates it's located on the 1) 'From' under where you put your email address, check off the box 'Send Delivery Status Updates'

All your delivery confirmations will be emailed to you, easy way to keep track and records

There's also the same option for the reciever so they get real time tracking updates, unfortunately with eBays new invoice we no longer get the recievers email.  I'd recommend not using the random letter/number eBay email under the buyers name (purchase details) when you click view order.  eBay sends email replys when CP sends the tracking updates that you are violating a policy.

Interesting regarding the tracking updates and violating eBay Polices.  Thanks for heads up on that. tidbit. Definitely counter intuitive. Similar to not providing a VALID email address for customs documents when it is a very specified requirement for international shipping. Buyers will vary when it comes to checking eBay email...Settings, filters, 1 of buyers, etc. They most likely check personal email routinely daily.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

The problem is worse than before.   When this happened a few weeks ago, only some of the tracking numbers i entered vanished.  This time around, ALL the tracking numbers i've entered have vanished.  Every tracking number i have entered in the last week is gone.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

If you go to order details is the tracking showing there?

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

No it is not.  The shipping date and the fact i shipped it by Canada Post is there but no tracking number.  Last time this happened the tracking number was there.  

This is totally unacceptable.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

No it is not.  The shipping date and the fact i shipped it by Canada Post is there but no tracking number.  Last time this happened the tracking number was there.  

This is totally unacceptable.

New interesting observation

In reviewing a shipment sent to the USA 2nd week of May with tracked that at the time disappeared off the radar. (It showed originated scan and eventually - a bit late delivery scan with CP). In checking data on USPS there is no record of the particular shipment. According to their system 

Details are only available for shipments made within the last 120 days.

so nothing displayed when I checked. This should have been well within that 120 days.(101 days to be precise). If USPS is technically purging this info early it could be causing issues down the road for sellers on shipments reported as late or lost. If eBay is purging sporadically  for whatever reason this could potentially add to the confusion.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Is this ever going to get fixed?    I've posted this problem in 2 forums and nothing has changed.  

There is no point in calling customer service.  The people that work there don't even seem to understand how the site works or what it looks like.    This is a serious issue that needs to be fixed as going forward i won't be able to upload any tracking numbers.

There must be a way of reporting serious technical issues without going through Customer Service reps.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

I checked my sold items, tracking is showing for all sales that are not lettermail.

My sales were all listed on ebay.CA  -- I see that you sell on both .com and .ca

tyler@ebay 

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

i've checked on both .ca and .com and with different browsers and in all cases the tracking numbers have vanished.

One interesting thing i saw today:   i had a package delivered yesterday for one of the items which has had its tracking number disappear.  And the status in 'Manage Orders' is shown as "Delivered".

So the tracking number i entered is lurking around somewhere on Ebay.......just not anywhere i can see it (and probably my buyers as well).

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@fergua3 

It would also be important to know if that tracking was invisible/available from the buyers perspective?

-Lotz

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

I have one item I sold which after I bought the shipping label the tracking # correctly updated on ebay, but it never showed any tracking data at all thru the entire transit to the buyer. Fortunately both the Canada Post and Royal Mail websites showed the actual status and I'd taken steps to make sure the buyer had those links. It sold the 24th of July, shipped the 26th of July, was marked as leaving Montreal on the 30th, arrived in the UK and went thru customs there on August 11th and delivered to buyer the next day. Ebay's tracking still doesn't show any such information and in fact it keeps moving the date shipped back further and further (it now says it shipped August 13th.. .the day AFTER it was actually delivered).

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

Check your 'Manage All Orders' page.  You may find some of the tracking numbers you've uploaded have vanished.  This happened a couple of months ago and the prolem is back.

If you click on the 'add tracking' link the tracking number you originally entered should still be there, which is at least some kind of evidence you uploaded it at the time of shipping.   But don't save the information again, that's the same as re-uploading it and it gets recorded as being uploaded late.

Needdless to say, i wish glitches like this would stop happpening.

Thanks. My last two Shippo USA tracked packet orders didn't have tracking show on my Ebay Orders page. I went to "Add Tracking" and the correct numbers were there, just "stuck". I hit the "add tracking" button. They both immediately appeared on the Orders page. 

I hope that didn't mess anything up!

Message 20 of 23
latest reply