Trading cards - Now forced to select condition

Since today i noticed we are now obligated to select a condition to list a trading card. Ebay aquiered the trading card plateform TCGplayer a few months ago and they seems to take the direction to copycat it.

Capture.PNG

They will create confusion to buyers on 2 points. They states near mint or better = fresh pack. A near mint card by definition is a grade 7. Grade 7 are not pack fresh. A fresh pack card is mint. A mint card is grade 8 to 10. This is why the 'near mint or better' exist. Near mint or better means 7 or better. 

Secondly they do not allow to select damaged. Sellers will have to select heavily played to list damaged cards. Heavily played and damaged is two different things. 

Most sellers will just ignore this and keep writting their condition in the title. Not sure why they force us to select one! They try to avoid confusion by forcing us but, instead they will themself create confusion. 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Trading cards - Now forced to select condition

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

Kinda point in what i'm saying that the system is useless. Any buyer in the hobby with minimal knowledge will laugh at seller rating this card as moderately played. This card is a no brainer heavily played and some would even debate it's damaged. This is just one card but we'll see sellers misgrading all the time it's obvious. I already see my competitors selecting near mint as specific while it's something else in title. People won't care about this system, most won't follow it. 

@rocketscollectibles 

@dinomitesales 

The majority of sellers and most buyers of these types of cards/items are going to understand that grading cards is very subjective. How long will it take for eBay to understand that it could quickly cause issues with these specific transactions? Will they? Once the rabbit is out of this box, it will be too late to go back.

-Lotz

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

I don't think they'll change back. Since they aquiered the trading cards platform TCGplayer, we can guess they will keep pushing to make eBay more and more similar. 

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Here we are. As usual. It's really an impossible task for ebay to do update without broking things.

I need to throw some (if not all) active listings that i would like to revise, because i can't edit them. The condition part is greyd and it doesnt let me select it. And they force us to select a condition to be able to list.

Tried to use a few old listings, revise quantity and change photos. Had to delete them and relist as similar. Thrown the sold history. 

Capture3434.PNG

Capturerrr.PNG

  

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

Here we are. As usual. It's really an impossible task for ebay to do update without broking things.

I need to throw some (if not all) active listings that i would like to revise, because i can't edit them. The condition part is greyd and it doesnt let me select it. And they force us to select a condition to be able to list.

Tried to use a few old listings, revise quantity and change photos. Had to delete them and relist as similar. Thrown the sold history. 

Capture3434.PNG

Capturerrr.PNG

  

@rocketscollectibles 

elizabeth@ebay 

I believe it is still a work in progress from eBay's side. I have 2 listings in the same situation. Showing requiring updating soon  but no condition options to choose from other than used. I currently have 39 listings in the card category. In one of my earlier posts I mentioned about condition being subjective and causing extra handling for sellers. My feedback was noted and "passed on"??? Unsure how far it will go. I do know for any of the many sellers with 100's or 1000's of listings it will be a major nuisance to update all their cards when this change is mandatory. 

For anyone interested, see link attached for a basic card grading machine. Unfortunately I and others do not 1250.oo laying around to invest/reserve 1.

https://tcgmachines.com/shop/phyzbatch-9000

-Lotz

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

For anyone interested, see link attached for a basic card grading machine. Unfortunately I and others do not 1250.oo laying around to invest/reserve 1.

-Lotz

That thing is awesome! Maybe one day. Too bad it doesn't also take the listing photos, given that it must be using some form of imaging already.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

-Lotz

That thing is awesome! Maybe one day. Too bad it doesn't also take the listing photos, given that it must be using some form of imaging already.

@flipistics 

It was on the recent local news for 1 of the major comic and card shops (Calgary). Using it they can sort and grade cards super quick and more accurately. Not sure how much they charge for the service. But said it does get rid of anything not worth selling pretty quick. 

-Lotz

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

I do know for any of the many sellers with 100's or 1000's of listings it will be a major nuisance to update all their cards when this change is mandatory. 

Before this change, card grade was a reccommend specific, and I had already set mine at the time to "Very Good". With the new changed it picked up any info if you already had it in the field. So that was nice, YAY!!! Only ones I had to do was variation listings, as if you had a sale on the listing it wont let you change to the new system. I end most listings every month or 2 for the newest search "boost" which probly doesnt exist anyhow so I just edited the few listings with previous sales then.

I never liked having ebay telling me you have reccomended specifics to fill in so I put NA for useless ones for a while to "clear" the deck and filled in most others with the most relevent info.

You can download a CSV file for the item specifics and update that way and then just upload when finished. Thats how I bulk edit quickly when needed these useless specifics.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

Eh, I could see that passing as Moderately Played based on eBay's own Card Condition Guidelines for Collectible Card Games.

The most signifiant wear on that card is to the corners/edges, as well as the surface whitening/discoloration. According to eBay, Moderately Played cards can have "Major whitening/chipping" on corners and edges; and "Moderate" discoloration. eBay's guidelines wouldn't move something into Heavily Played territory unless the edge damage was accompanied by missing corners or tears.

Hell, eBay's guidelines specify that there can be "Moderate to major creasing", and scratches/scuffing so bad that there is "slight paper loss", and it would still be considered Moderately Played.

@rocketscollectibles 

@regs43 

@flipistics 

@dinomitesales 

elizabeth@ebay 

@ians_vintage 

In trying another test to update my 2 items that "need" fixing these are the current (2) choices either Professionally Graded or Ungraded... Using get started now. 

Ungraded: 
Near Mint or Better: Comparable to a fresh pack
Excellent: Has clearly visible signs of wear
Very Good: Has moderate-to-heavy damage all over
Poor: Is extremely worn and displays flaws all over

The primary choice is PROFESSIONALLY GRADED

I dont have words I can use here to rationalize eBay's choices of verbiage other than open entirely to interpretation!!!

-Lotz

Note: After seeing above I did not upgrade and left as was. 
Message 28 of 28
latest reply