Trading cards - Now forced to select condition

Since today i noticed we are now obligated to select a condition to list a trading card. Ebay aquiered the trading card plateform TCGplayer a few months ago and they seems to take the direction to copycat it.

Capture.PNG

They will create confusion to buyers on 2 points. They states near mint or better = fresh pack. A near mint card by definition is a grade 7. Grade 7 are not pack fresh. A fresh pack card is mint. A mint card is grade 8 to 10. This is why the 'near mint or better' exist. Near mint or better means 7 or better. 

Secondly they do not allow to select damaged. Sellers will have to select heavily played to list damaged cards. Heavily played and damaged is two different things. 

Most sellers will just ignore this and keep writting their condition in the title. Not sure why they force us to select one! They try to avoid confusion by forcing us but, instead they will themself create confusion. 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

Since today i noticed we are now obligated to select a condition to list a trading card. Ebay aquiered the trading card plateform TCGplayer a few months ago and they seems to take the direction to copycat it.

Capture.PNG

They will create confusion to buyers on 2 points. They states near mint or better = fresh pack. A near mint card by definition is a grade 7. Grade 7 are not pack fresh. A fresh pack card is mint. A mint card is grade 8 to 10. This is why the 'near mint or better' exist. Near mint or better means 7 or better. 

Secondly they do not allow to select damaged. Sellers will have to select heavily played to list damaged cards. Heavily played and damaged is two different things. 

Most sellers will just ignore this and keep writting their condition in the title. Not sure why they force us to select one! They try to avoid confusion by forcing us but, instead they will themself create confusion. 

@rocketscollectibles 

Discussion from dot com on the subject. Hopefully it can be of a bit of help?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Trading-Cards-updated-condition-from-new-used-to-graded-ungrad...

-Lotz

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Thanks. I'll follow that for sure. Seems like no one is happy. There's nothing to gain from that change for anyone. Its hard to understand. The condition scale isn't even proper and apparently listings may run into problems if we don't edit. Totally dumb. They just thrown an axe into every single card store on ebay. Most active stores has thousands listings set...

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

Thanks. I'll follow that for sure. Seems like no one is happy. There's nothing to gain from that change for anyone. Its hard to understand. The condition scale isn't even proper and apparently listings may run into problems if we don't edit. Totally dumb. They just thrown an axe into every single card store on ebay. Most active stores has thousands listings set...

They've made similar needless whackadoodle changes to the coins/post cards categories.

Star Trek quote 1....Is there any intelligent life in the eBay HQ programming department?

Quote 2 courtesy the famous Scotty from Star Trek fame (original series)....Darn it Captain I'm just a lowly eBay seller trying to make a buck....I'm not a metallurgist!!

-Lotz

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Condition / Grading is so subjective. One person could think something is Mint and another person think its Excellent. I personally had just put Very Good for my listings for the past 2 years lol, I would rather undervalue something then put some perfect grade and a buyer who's super picky think's Mint is more then what I think Mint it. Pictures are where people are usually looking vs in the specifics from personal experience. Just ebay doing another "simplified" thing that doesn't really help lol!

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

@regs43 wrote:

Condition / Grading is so subjective. One person could think something is Mint and another person think its Excellent. I personally had just put Very Good for my listings for the past 2 years lol, I would rather undervalue something then put some perfect grade and a buyer who's super picky think's Mint is more then what I think Mint it. Pictures are where people are usually looking vs in the specifics from personal experience. Just ebay doing another "simplified" thing that doesn't really help lol!

@regs43 

Reminds me of eBay Refurbished vs Seller Refurbished. My buyers NEVER took issue with my condition when it came to the items I refurbished.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

This must be why all of our *#&@ing listings are popping up as "add reccommended item specifics" all of a sudden! It's *crazy*, because Ebay is *by far* our preferred listing platform for trading cards, but this item specifics fixation needs to go away. Just give us the ability to opt out of recieving notice of listings that are missing *reccommended* specifics, OR make *all* item specifics mandatory, and let the market decide. 

With no way to hide the section, this just becomes busywork, having to go in to each listing one at a time, and selecting "do not remind me of these item specifics again". Just let us select all, and toggle the notifcation off for as many as we like at a time! Absolute rubbish!

Also, regarding grading, make sure to put something like this is *all* of your trading card listings:

"All grading/condition grades are opinions. Please see attached pictures of the card you will recieve. If you have any questions, please contact us before purchasing to make sure the item will suit your needs". 

Make sure your shipping method allows for tamper-proof verification of condition by the buyer, and *never* accept returns on trading cards. *Never*. 

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Who say ebay update, say what? New glitches. Obviously! They must create issues where there was none. The routine.

Ebay now show me things in french even if my ebay is in english... They also suggest me the 'original title' on every listing, while it's already not translated... 

23.PNG

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

So eBay no longer allows people to sell refurbished items (seller refurbished) because only professionals should do that and can determine correct condition. Then eBay decides that everyone should grade their own cards ...

Yep, this is certainly going to go well.

Honestly though, those condition options are pretty much useless anyway. Anyone who is selling ungraded cards can probably just bulk edit all the listings to include a condition of lightly played and go on with their day.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Yeah no one will follow this system. I already see a lot of cards missgraded. It was already the case but it was not an 'official' statement in the specifics. Not sure how it will affect INADs. I'm personally thinking about bulk edit my whole store to heavily played. This way no one can go against my condition. And my personal grading is in title and description (as any half serious seller). 

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Do not like the new requirement for Card Condition at all. I have been selling cards on eBay for 20 years and never stated the condtion of a card. And never has a buyer come back and said the card was not mint or there was a problem with the card. In the rare instance I noticed a problem or damage with the card, I take extra pictures to show the problem and I write it at the very top of the description, so the buyer knows what they are getting. Is it not the reason we have photos in the listing in the first place.

As mentioned above, we are not graders, and grading is subjective (even with professional graders and among grading companies).

This is completely unnecessary and will just cause problems in my opinion. I plan on selecting "near mint or better" for all my listings. To me, this new requirement will raise the expectations of the buyer and open up complaints, "The card you sent is not near mint, I want my money back". If a buyer wants to know the exact grade then they can go out and buy a graded copy.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

I'm not going back and retroactively adding required conditions to my 3500 card listings.
If this becomes a question of updating all those listings, or being forced to take them down, I'll just take my business elsewhere.

Card grading is too subjective, and this will result in a huge uptick in INAD. Photos are always the best way to show a card's condition.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@ians_vintage  At least in my categories, "old" stuff is grandfathered, required specifics don't have to be updated unless one is making a change to the item, then they have to be updated. My categories required specifics were put in place years ago, and I still have just over 1,200 items missing them.... (can't see my items at the moment as I'm on "time away"). 

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

My understanding is that all existing listings will have to be updated as well at some point (early 2024?).

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

I can't remember the wording when they came to my categories, I think the all listings dates meant that if one made a change to an existing listing after that date it had to be updated, but I could be wrong..... mine have been ok for years now, but your categories rules might be different....

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I can't remember the wording when they came to my categories, I think the all listings dates meant that if one made a change to an existing listing after that date it had to be updated, but I could be wrong..... mine have been ok for years now, but your categories rules might be different....

@rocketscollectibles 

@ians_vintage 

@furtova 

@flipistics 

I have, according to ebay 43 listings in the trading cards category. According to the header it shows 2 listings will need the update.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1690470910695.png

When I click on those listings the condition is USED with no additional choices to switch to. As others have said, condition with trading cards is almost entirely subjective. Many sellers cannot afford the expense of professionally grading each card they own. (Mute if they were purchased pre-graded). These changes will not be an improvement and could potentially cause more harm than help.

In my past days I worked for a custom sign manufacturer. We did "unveilings" regularly for new designs. Ask 10 people their opinion we would routinely get 10 different opinions. Same rabbit hole in this situation.

elizabeth@ebay 

Will older listings require updating or will these changes just be applied to new ones? Urgent clarification please. Many sellers have 1000's of listings in this affected category

or as suggested above will these older listings get "grandfathered" in and not require updating to stay active?

Thanks,

-Lotz

PS1. One other thing that is critical to consider with each update requires pulling the inventory to confirm information. Every time a card is handled it increases the odds of a card being damaged. In most cases the cards were described accurately the FIRST time when they were listed. 

PS2. I have lost track of the number of times meaningless, useless nuisance changes have been made in jewelry and ceramic categories for 2 examples. Beyond very annoying. Even factoring in required or suggested. 

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

@rocketscollectibles 

@ians_vintage 

@furtova 

@flipistics 

I have, according to ebay 43 listings in the trading cards category. According to the header it shows 2 listings will need the update.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1690470910695.png

When I click on those listings the condition is USED with no additional choices to switch to. As others have said, condition with trading cards is almost entirely subjective. Many sellers cannot afford the expense of professionally grading each card they own. (Mute if they were purchased pre-graded). These changes will not be an improvement and could potentially cause more harm than help.

In my past days I worked for a custom sign manufacturer. We did "unveilings" regularly for new designs. Ask 10 people their opinion we would routinely get 10 different opinions. Same rabbit hole in this situation.

elizabeth@ebay 

Will older listings require updating or will these changes just be applied to new ones? Urgent clarification please. Many sellers have 1000's of listings in this affected category

or as suggested above will these older listings get "grandfathered" in and not require updating to stay active?

Thanks,

-Lotz

PS1. One other thing that is critical to consider with each update requires pulling the inventory to confirm information. Every time a card is handled it increases the odds of a card being damaged. In most cases the cards were described accurately the FIRST time when they were listed. 

PS2. I have lost track of the number of times meaningless, useless nuisance changes have been made in jewelry and ceramic categories for 2 examples. Beyond very annoying. Even factoring in required or suggested. 

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies. I've reached out about this and will touch base when I hear back.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

See how this system is non-sense and won't change anything but add useless work to sellers.

I see those all the time. People can't accurately grade and/or won't respect conditions. This is listed as moderately played: 

4554.jpg

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Eh, I could see that passing as Moderately Played based on eBay's own Card Condition Guidelines for Collectible Card Games.

The most signifiant wear on that card is to the corners/edges, as well as the surface whitening/discoloration. According to eBay, Moderately Played cards can have "Major whitening/chipping" on corners and edges; and "Moderate" discoloration. eBay's guidelines wouldn't move something into Heavily Played territory unless the edge damage was accompanied by missing corners or tears.

Hell, eBay's guidelines specify that there can be "Moderate to major creasing", and scratches/scuffing so bad that there is "slight paper loss", and it would still be considered Moderately Played.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

Kinda point in what i'm saying that the system is useless. Any buyer in the hobby with minimal knowledge will laugh at seller rating this card as moderately played. This card is a no brainer heavily played and some would even debate it's damaged. This is just one card but we'll see sellers misgrading all the time it's obvious. I already see my competitors selecting near mint as specific while it's something else in title. People won't care about this system, most won't follow it. 

Message 20 of 28
latest reply