Traffic Very Low,

Hi all,

I am a new seller and am finding that traffic to my listings is very low, thus resulting in slow sales. I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to increase traffic.

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Traffic Very Low,

"Since eBay has graciously been giving me promos..."

You don't get it man, you just don't get it! 

You are supposed to criticize eBay for giving you the opportunity to list for "free", you should call them names, explain in great details how they take advantage of you, how they rip you off, how they work against you, how they want to get rid of you, how unfair they are, etc...

You just don't get it, do you?

Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

Master! I am so sorry. I am but a bit of glue residue on the great stamp of life. Lemme try again.

Rotten buzzards inundated me with work demands. Forced the yolk of the ruling proletariat around my emaciated neck "Out to the fields with you!". I slaved, slaved, for less than 17¢ per hour. WOE! Woe is me.

They lure me with money, just out of reach, like a donkey and a carrot. How dare they live the wealthy lifestyle skimmed from the flesh of my unworthy efforts. Their big cars and fancy automobiles. Their Uptown lattes gleaned from the sweat of my brow.

Just like the Bolsheviks in 1917, I too shall rise and overthrow them. I will erect a statue of Rosa Parks and use it as a deity. No more back of the bus for. It is under the wheels or not at all!
Photobucket
Message 22 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

Nice To See The Humour Has Returned.

I had my Vent a few months back, so I have exhausted my yearly quota of one.

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

So much great advice here.  I used to sell clothes exclusively have a great deal waiting to list right now.  I agree, tops are a hard sell.  Jeans are the most successful, for me.  When buying, I buy mostly jeans, the only time I bought a used shirt, there were arm pit stains so I do avoid used tops now.   Of course, there's always the unique print shirt that will sell, or certain types of unique blouses.  Good luck!  I too think you auctions look great!

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I have implemented sone of your suggestions and have had positive results. I am getting more views, and sales have started to get better. There are more changes on the way as well.

Again, thank you.

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

My view of things over the years..

Small changes always got the biggest results....

Mainly because  I have always made small changes.

Too many  times there have been sellers that view the new update... and make super big changes only to lose in the process.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The following used to be my message to my US Buyers...after a purchase.

---------------------------------------

Thanks for purchasing this book

Your purchase will be in the mail on Thursday, June 26.

Should take about 10 to 14 days

cumos55

-----------------------------------------------------

Then the last sentence became

Should take about 10 to 14 days, and sometimes longer if it gets caught up
in the postal system or in customs....

the bold part was added a few years ago.... No more item not received claims....

Small change--- Big results

----------------------------------------------------

It would appear that OP's changes are working

With the description... the more the better.

with the Terms of Sale....the less the better  and that which only applies to your listings... short and sweet .... and not the general rules imposed by eBay on all sellers.

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

fantastic descriptions in cumos55 book listings

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

"Master! I am so sorry. I am but a bit of glue residue on the great stamp of life. Lemme try again."
Grasshopper, again you have failed.
Stamp gum is one of the most expensive substances on Earth. The difference in price between a Used/ no gum stamp and a Lightly Hinged/ Original Gum would make a Russian oil oligarch gasp.
Message 28 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

Hi there, I realize I'm replying a bit late but I wanted to chime in. I just looked at your listings and noticed a few things worth changing: for one, there are some spelling mistakes in the title and the descriptions. Spelling mistakes might make some buyers expect communication problems in case something's wrong. Next, for the titles, using ALL CAPS for the whole thing isn't a great idea. I would save the caps just for highlighting certain things like the name brand or "GOOD CONDITION".

Lastly, about your return policy. This is something that I actually want to bring up in general:

"If you accept returns, a buyer can return an item for any reason, including when they change their mind about a purchase—as long as the return meets the return requirements—for example, returning an item within your stated time frame, and meeting item condition requirements." This is written in ebay's policies. Many sellers, including yourself, try to use the Return Policy box to limit buyers' reasons for returns, but that's pointless since it conflicts with ebay's rules, and it could prevent sales by making you look strict. (FWIW I don't bother accepting returns, I hope that doesn't make me seem like a hypocrite:P)

Best of luck!

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

Yep!! I just opened a store too and sales are slooooow...

I blame it on soccer and the weather - maybe people are at the malls.

But I'm hangin' in there...

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 30 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

Hi I'm also finding traffic low and looking for ways to up my traffic. I have read some ideas online, and have tried, but I think perhaps more people go to ebay.com than ca? It's a little frustrating 😞 I think it's also a matter of pricing and shipping costs. I want to attract US buyers, but if I ship to the states, especially for larger items, the cost would be exorbitant.

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

Your price is your price. If it doesn't cover all your costs (including the 17 cents a minute mentioned above for minimum wage) then why bother to sell.

On some items you could add Free Shipping which means the cost of shipping is included in the price of the product. This gives you lower overall fees.

More of the problem is your zero feedback status. I would suggest doing some buying to show that you do know what you are doing. Most people buy shipping supplies, poly envelopes, scales, etc, Stuff that will be useful and not too expensive to ship.

This also gives you an overview of the eBay experience and protects you somewhat from the worst scammers.

For your titles, I would suggest looking at your listings from a mobile device, which apparently is how all the cool kids buy nowadays.

And I would move the words 'vintage' and 'antique' to the end of the title. Mobile devices cut off many words. Your customer may be seeing that the thingy is Antique 19th century but not what it actually is. (Oh and First Nations is a Canadian term. Americans say 'native' or occasionally "Amerind")

Also with garments: brand and size must be in the title. Measurements in the description, because every manufacturer has different sizing.

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

If I may be candid, one of the largest problems with your listings is that they show "shipping to Canada" only.

If you were to include "shipping to the USA" with a shipping service (Canada Post Expedited" or "Small Packet" in some instances), it may mean a bit more work for you researching the shipping charges but it would allow your listings to be seen on eBay.com where many Canadians shop in addition to American buyers.

By listing with "shipping to Canada" only, Canadians shopping on eBay.com do not see your listings.  And many Canadians do.

Also, take a quick look at your shipping charges.  Some seem quite frankly overstated.

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

Lots of great tips here from experienced sellers.  I'm taking notes too. 🙂

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

"Since eBay has graciously been giving me promos..."

You don't get it man, you just don't get it! 

...the opportunity to list for "free"

haha - yes!

while we're at it we must remember to give thanks to "Publi-Sac" (in our part of QC) and all our local flyer distributors from coast to coast for the pounds and pounds of wonderful free reading material they deliver right to our doors almost every single day!!...

and with Thanksgiving right around the corner, we shouldn't neglect to give thanks to Google and Facebook for all the free invasion of privacy they allow us to enjoy!

And lest we ever forget, the wonders of "FREE" trade, like NAFTA and now with Europe and China, whose whose megalopolies and state-owned companies will now be able to sue our goverment for our elected representatives' misguided Canadian laws and policies - never mind the joy of receiving parcels from abroad and paying an extra $60 on each one for nothing, giving the "free" of free trade that little sprinkling of spice

All of this!! ours, for free!! Never mind the free sport of watching our gas retailers "compete" in the cut-throat world of selling gas at double the price it is a hundred miles away!!! Prices rocketing up and tumbling down... week by week, month by month... All the entertainment and amusement we could possibly desire...

Wait, there's more - look out the window - free leaves!!! FALLING FROM THE SKY!!!!

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

English makes one word "free" do the work of two French words "gratis", which means it doesn't cost anything and 'libre' which means unfettered. 

This is even more problematic on the internet when unilingual anglophones proclaim "The internet should be FREE!" when an artist or web developer or browser tries to charge for services.

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

TANSTAAFL -- Robert Heinlein

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

Traffic Very Low,

@reallynicestamps wrote:

English makes one word "free" do the work of two French words "gratis", which means it doesn't cost anything and 'libre' which means unfettered. 

This is even more problematic on the internet when unilingual anglophones proclaim "The internet should be FREE!" when an artist or web developer or browser tries to charge for services.

Ah yes, but I like words that occupy a spectrum of meaning.  Linguistic ambiguity and double entendre make for great poetry!  

Message 38 of 38
latest reply