US Buyer asking why I don't accept credit cards?

I have a US buyer who won and auction and messaged me to ask why Paypal was my only accepted payment method because she wanted to pay by credit card. I messaged her back to say Paypal was not my only method, that I accept all payments acceptable by eBay - Paypal, Apple Pay, Visa, Mastercard & American Express (at least that's what shows up in my listings). She has sent me several snarky emails and last one was a screen shot with big red message she got "This seller doesn't accept any of these. Please add another card or select a different payment option." I messaged her again pointing out I was in Canada and I double checked listing and it shows the above payments accepted. I haven't heard back from her but wondered if anyone else knows if maybe some US credit cards aren't accepted on .ca? I've sold many items to the US, this is the first time this one came up. Thanks!

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Apparently she is trying to pay with Discover card. She claims she pays that way all the time.

Maybe Discover was removed when Ayden/Managed Payments started. Anyone know?

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

Apparently she is trying to pay with Discover card. She claims she pays that way all the time.

Maybe Discover was removed when Ayden/Managed Payments started. Anyone know?

Ebay policy just states "credit cards" along with the other eBay listing  ways displayed.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/accepted-payments-policy/default/payment-methods-policy?id=4269&st=3&pos=2&...

According to Ayden they accept the following which includes the Discover Card and Debit Cards in Canada. You may need to confirm with tyler@ebay  for confirmation.

https://www.adyen.com/pricing

-Lotz

As a side note I have heard of some chains suddenly no longer supporting Amex. Their main website still says they do. Unsure as for the reason. Just new store policies.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Thanks once again lotz! Based on the links it looks like Discover should work but she sent me an actual screen shot which shows her trying to use Discover and it showing "Not accepted". I spoke to customer service who said everything was okay on my end and it was an issue the buyer would have to contact them directly about. I passed that on to her so will see.

I will ask Tyler on his weekly chat or try to reach him from your link. Thank you!

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

Thanks once again lotz! Based on the links it looks like Discover should work but she sent me an actual screen shot which shows her trying to use Discover and it showing "Not accepted". I spoke to customer service who said everything was okay on my end and it was an issue the buyer would have to contact them directly about. I passed that on to her so will see.

I will ask Tyler on his weekly chat or try to reach him from your link. Thank you!

Months back when MP first started I had a US customer attempt to make a low value purchase with a credit card. (Visa or MC.) Wouldn't process with my items. His purchases with other sellers processed no problem. He ended up having to go elsewhere. eBay CS didn't have an explanation other than check with his CC company. Not good when you lose sales for unexplainable reasons.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Yes, they are probably going to tell her to talk to her credit card company. She told me she was going to try and talk to them shortly (not sure if she may have trouble on a Sunday, I don't know much about Discover).

It was a $90 order which she said she "still really, really wants" but she also said she has never made a purchase outside the US before so maybe they red flagged it or something. I told her there was no rush (the auction barely ended!) Thanks again...have a nice Sunday!

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I just looked up a item in the US on eBay.com and then the same item on eBay.ca.  The dot-com listing page has a Discover card image on it under payments, but not the one for eBay.ca.

I then looked up an item located in Canada and checked both sites.  Neither site has the Discover card image with the listing.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Yes, I noticed it doesn't show Discover on my listings - I'm pretty sure the icon was there before managed payments(?) and thought maybe it had changed though according to eBay it has nothing to do with that and should still work. I have now 12 messages from this buyer which to me seems bizarre in itself but her last message said she called eBay and they said Discover was "not checked as accepted", and I have to adjust my listings. I've never adjusted anything ever for accepted payments and I'm not even going to attempt it until I speak to someone again. If I get a 13th message from her I may lose it!

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

I'm concluding from my quick and dirty little investigation that eBay Canada does not support Discover payments, which to me makes sense as I've never seen a promotion for Discover that originates in Canada and I don't think any established credit card issuer (such as the big banks) offers it as an option.

The customer service phone reps in the US aren't very hip on the differences between eBay Canada and eBay USA, so you may have better luck using the online contact options through Facebook or Twitter which apparently have better trained staff members.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Thank you I think you are right but why won't anyone just admit that!? 

I know I may be the only one on the planet not on social media but I don't have Facebook or Twitter!

I sit on hold as I type with the phone rep! 😞

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

I have heard of some chains suddenly no longer supporting Amex.

Amex treats merchants abominably.

Unlike most cards, they pay out monthly. Their merchant fees are higher than any other card. And their extreme care of their cardholders is at the expense of the merchants who have effectively no Seller Protection.

They and Diners Club were the first widely used credit cards, and they have not moved from that mindset.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Discover is not accepted in Canada.

Ran into this when an American tourist tried to buy something in our B&M only to be turned down. Her husband had gone to his business meeting giving her just that card and the instruction to "have fun!" .

Effectively she was flat broke.

We were able to exchange her few US bills for Canadian (and DH gave her the bank rate instead of our usual "not our problem" rate).

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@msau4301   The phone reps are not eBay employees. They are subcontractors. Don't believe anything they tell you.  They might or might not be correct.

The FaceBook people do get eBay paycheques and are better trained. Also you get a transcript to compare what you think you heard with what they actually said.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

There is no way for you to adjust the payment options on your listings so either the buyer misunderstood or the cs rep is confused.  (I vote for the latter)  I really doubt that the phone cs will be able to help you because if it is a mistake, it appears to be site wide.

I checked your listings, lotz and mine and none of the .ca listings accept Discover so it might be a Canadian thing.  However, on the listings that I have on .com, they do have Discover as an option.  So I can accept Discover if I set up my listing on .com but not on .ca listings? That makes no sense.

tyler@ebay  Do you have any insight into this?  Why is Discover a payment option on listings originating on .com but not on .ca?   As I mentioned earlier it is on my .com listings but not on any of the listings that I set up on .ca.

Also, I noticed that coin listings on both sites do not have Amex as an accepted payment. I assume that it is supposed to be like that?

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

There is no way for you to adjust the payment options on your listings so either the buyer misunderstood or the cs rep is confused.  (I vote for the latter)  I really doubt that the phone cs will be able to help you because if it is a mistake, it appears to be site wide.

I checked your listings, lotz and mine and none of the .ca listings accept Discover so it might be a Canadian thing.  However, on the listings that I have on .com, they do have Discover as an option.  So I can accept Discover if I set up my listing on .com but not on .ca listings? That makes no sense.

tyler@ebay  Do you have any insight into this?  Why is Discover a payment option on listings originating on .com but not on .ca?   As I mentioned earlier it is on my .com listings but not on any of the listings that I set up on .ca.

Also, I noticed that coin listings on both sites do not have Amex as an accepted payment. I assume that it is supposed to be like that?

Because you don't really know are able to see how a customer has paid I really don't worry about it. Only had a few situations over the course of time involving CC issues. You only really hear about it when a buyer has a problem. As for the Discover option, I thought it did display on CA listings at one time. According to the Ayden list for Canada it is very long and detailed what they accept. What has been passed on to eBay specifically is anyones guess. My thinking is they couldn't add all available options on a listing so just added the main ones. From US sellers I have spoken to in recent pass, bank debit cards aren't an issue for their customers. Easy Peazy!!! Also, because I don't purchase much of anything any longer on eBay(Paypal Funded purchases in the past), I use my CC and pay it off as soon as it shows. If debit cards other than ones attached to CC were an option, it might make making a purchase anywhere on eBay much more accommodating. Considering bank debit cards are accepted ummm everywhere. Would be many pluses to that as an available option. And when buyers hit a roadblock, in most cases they are just going to go elsewhere. I know I would!

-Lotz

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

Thank you! I saw your other post about Discover also! I guess I should be thankful this is the first time it's come up...most people have a back-up card (or for a spend thrift like me about 10) but I guess this poor lady only has the one.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Thanks very much for passing the link to tyler (I'm not very tech savvy). I was going to mention it on the weekly chat. Thanks also for checking the listings. I sent the girl one last (I hope) message that there was nothing more I can do on my end. And I'm getting myself a glass or wine (it's almost 5 anyhow!)

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Wowser! Miraculously she sent me a message she got approved for a new eBay credit card and just paid me (woohoo!) Thanks for your input everyone. I do still want to know for the future so will be checking back for Tyler's response.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Discover isn't available as a payment option on several other eBay sites that I checked, so it's not just a Canadian thing.  My hypothesis is that the payment methods that are available on an eBay site are dependent on what Adyen branch is processing the payment.  As Adyen USA would be processing payments on dot-com, they'd be able to deal with Discover payments.  Adyen Canada--or UK, or Australia, or Germany--would not be able to handle Discover payments made on those countries' respective eBay sites.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Discover isn't available as a payment option on several other eBay sites that I checked, so it's not just a Canadian thing.  My hypothesis is that the payment methods that are available on an eBay site are dependent on what Adyen branch is processing the payment.  As Adyen USA would be processing payments on dot-com, they'd be able to deal with Discover payments.  Adyen Canada--or UK, or Australia, or Germany--would not be able to handle Discover payments made on those countries' respective eBay sites.

@msau4301 

Causing  a US buyer(shopper) that uses their Discover card can routinely shop with no issues on dot com but then CAN have issues shopping on other eBay sites. I thought besides the other eBay reasons for the switch to MP it was "supposed" to add MORE payment options for all shopping on eBay!! Strange when it shows a long list of payment methods when you go to Ayden Canada including the Discover card.

Direct from Ayden:

https://www.adyen.com/pricing

Payment methods.jpg

More customers within your reach

Cast a wider net online by creating buying opportunities wherever your customers are interacting. Support an online payment experience in more  channels. Social. Email. Text. Phone. Send them a link and get paid. It’s that simple with our Pay by Link solution.

Independent sales organizations and
full-service processing

Maximize your revenue and help your merchants run their businesses better. Our simple, robust payment innovations are engineered for the future and can help you grow to the next level.

Another roadblock for Canadian sellers to add to the collection.

-Lotz

Message 20 of 29
latest reply