US Buyer asking why I don't accept credit cards?

I have a US buyer who won and auction and messaged me to ask why Paypal was my only accepted payment method because she wanted to pay by credit card. I messaged her back to say Paypal was not my only method, that I accept all payments acceptable by eBay - Paypal, Apple Pay, Visa, Mastercard & American Express (at least that's what shows up in my listings). She has sent me several snarky emails and last one was a screen shot with big red message she got "This seller doesn't accept any of these. Please add another card or select a different payment option." I messaged her again pointing out I was in Canada and I double checked listing and it shows the above payments accepted. I haven't heard back from her but wondered if anyone else knows if maybe some US credit cards aren't accepted on .ca? I've sold many items to the US, this is the first time this one came up. Thanks!

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Perhaps the reason eBay won't actually say we can't accept Discover card in Canada is that Canadian sellers can if they are listing on .com but CAN'T when listing on .ca (as I do)??

If not for the persistance of my buyer and her showing me her screen shots of "seller does not accept this method of payment" I would not have been aware. Makes me wonder if maybe some of my other Unpaid item cases to US were from people trying to use the Discover card then giving up when they got that message.

I do however like the fact that eBay did help me get paid for the sale(s) by offering her an immediately approved eBay credit card which she used. I imagine eBay will always accept their own credit card!

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Causing  a US buyer(shopper) that uses their Discover card can routinely shop with no issues on dot com but then CAN have issues shopping on other eBay sites. I thought besides the other eBay reasons for the switch to MP it was "supposed" to add MORE payment options for all shopping on eBay!! Strange when it shows a long list of payment methods when you go to Ayden Canada including the Discover card.

You'll also see on that list of accepted payment methods several European-only payment instruments that don't appear on any eBay site.  

If I were travelling internationally (if that's ever going to be possible again), I wouldn't expect to make a payment with my credit union card and have it go through the Interac network.  I wouldn't expect that all merchants abroad accept VISA and Mastercard equally, either, even though they're pretty highly accepted here.

And while other Loblaw banners such as Superstore and YIG may accept VISA, NoFrills officially doesn't.

However, I will agree that the message "seller doesn't accept credit cards" is pretty misleading in this case and it would be useful to specify the brand rather than make a blanket statement like this.

For what it's worth, the Canadian version of The River doesn't accept Discover, either, even though the dot-com site does, but it's probably very seldom that the Canadian site will attract a US-based shopper.

Postscript: 3.95% in fees for a Discover payment processed by Adyen?  Geebus.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Causing  a US buyer(shopper) that uses their Discover card can routinely shop with no issues on dot com but then CAN have issues shopping on other eBay sites. I thought besides the other eBay reasons for the switch to MP it was "supposed" to add MORE payment options for all shopping on eBay!! Strange when it shows a long list of payment methods when you go to Ayden Canada including the Discover card.

You'll also see on that list of accepted payment methods several European-only payment instruments that don't appear on any eBay site.  

If I were travelling internationally (if that's ever going to be possible again), I wouldn't expect to make a payment with my credit union card and have it go through the Interac network.  I wouldn't expect that all merchants abroad accept VISA and Mastercard equally, either, even though they're pretty highly accepted here.

And while other Loblaw banners such as Superstore and YIG may accept VISA, NoFrills officially doesn't.

However, I will agree that the message "seller doesn't accept credit cards" is pretty misleading in this case and it would be useful to specify the brand rather than make a blanket statement like this.

For what it's worth, the Canadian version of The River doesn't accept Discover, either, even though the dot-com site does, but it's probably very seldom that the Canadian site will attract a US-based shopper.

Postscript: 3.95% in fees for a Discover payment processed by Adyen?  Geebus.

The Does Not Accept Discover cards would be a more affective error message and be much more helpful in the scheme of things vs buyers being left baffled as to the why they are unable to pay. My particular buyer wanted to purchase just couldn't. He may have just said CC and I said yes I do accept. Strange something like this has taken sooo long to pinpoint as a possible issue.

Similar to a seller creating a listing and only seeing a error message if the item is over the prescribed suggested requirements vs nothing if it is under.  Problems such as these once documented need immediate attention vs that's just how it is.

-Lotz

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Discover was originally a store card- I think Sears? - and was promoted as a cheap card for low income buyers.  How true that was is questionable.

Well well- I was right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discover_Card

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Discover was originally a store card- I think Sears? - and was promoted as a cheap card for low income buyers.  How true that was is questionable.

Well well- I was right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discover_Card

Interesting. According to Wikipedia..Unsure of date....They were the 3rd largest CC company for N. America as per Nerdwallet (Current) they come in a dismal 2nd at 4.9/5 rating. Guess they aren't worth trouble. Could be those slightly lower interest rates and no yearly fees that knock down their ranking. 🤣

https://www.nerdwallet.com/m/credit-cards/excellent-credit-cards?bucket_id=CC_Editorial_Style_Contro...

5th place for Jan 2022 (Majority US) 4.9/5

https://www.nerdwallet.com/the-best-credit-cards?trk=nw_gn_5.0

-Lotz

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Discover’s share of various pies is actually quite small compared to what VISA and Mastercard get, at least as of 2018:

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/research/credit-debit-card-market-share-network-issuer/

(Note that what Americans refer to as “debit cards” are not the networked ATM cards we have in Canada, but VISA or Mastercard-branded cards designed as holding pens for funds.)
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

There is no way for you to adjust the payment options on your listings so either the buyer misunderstood or the cs rep is confused.  (I vote for the latter)  I really doubt that the phone cs will be able to help you because if it is a mistake, it appears to be site wide.

I checked your listings, lotz and mine and none of the .ca listings accept Discover so it might be a Canadian thing.  However, on the listings that I have on .com, they do have Discover as an option.  So I can accept Discover if I set up my listing on .com but not on .ca listings? That makes no sense.

tyler@ebay  Do you have any insight into this?  Why is Discover a payment option on listings originating on .com but not on .ca?   As I mentioned earlier it is on my .com listings but not on any of the listings that I set up on .ca.

Also, I noticed that coin listings on both sites do not have Amex as an accepted payment. I assume that it is supposed to be like that?

Thanks for the tags @pjcdn2005 & @lotzofuniquegoodies!

Hi @msau4301 -  it's my understanding that all available payment options will display to your buyers, but that those payment options can vary depending on a number of factors (location, category, even price). 

It's also important to note that financial institutions/payment providers require various clearances and agreements prior to their services being available on our platform, and such agreements take time. This is the case even if a payment processor is used as a partner like Adyen.  I am not saying that this is the exact case with Discover, but wanted to give some insight into why it's possible there is an Adyen site that says Discover can be processed, but it may not be present on eBay for your buyer. 

In any case, I'm glad that they were able to get this resolved and purchase your item! In the future, an alternative they could consider is setting up their credit card as the funding source for their PayPal purchase. I've done that on other sites that wouldn't take my credit card, but they definitely took PayPal, which then charged my credit card (I don't understand the logic of it, but it worked for me!). 

I've also sent this to the Payments review and will update you as I hear back!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for responding. Paypal would have been a great alternative of course except this particular buyer was adamant she would never use Paypal again (it was in her opening line to her first of 13 messages!) and that she only used Discover for eBay purchases (but admitted she had never bought outside of US before) we were trying to figure out if it was a Canadian site thing.

I'll watch for any updates from you on this. I was hoping for an easy yes or no if Discover card was accepted on the .ca site but I'm not sure it will be that cut and dry. Thank you for sending it to payments for review!

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

I think that if I were an American wanting to make purchases from outside the country and I only had a Discover card, I’d be applying for a Mastercard or VISA.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply