Unjust negative feedback received. Please help!

A buyer ordered two blu-ray cases from me on May 18, which I shipped the day after, on May 19, in two separate envelopes by lettermail as I did not offer combined shipping and did not have an envelope that could fit both and still be able to send by lettermail.

On May 29, I got a message from the buyer telling me that he received one blu-ray case only and asking if I shipped the other one separately. I confirmed that that was the case. Three days later (on June 1), I got an angry message from the buyer asking me why the second one still hasn't arrived. The latest expected delivery date set for his order is June 13 so I replied to his message gently reminding him of that and asking if he could kindly wait some more.

On June 3 (TEN days before the expected delivery date set for his order), I received negative feedback from this buyer confirming that he received both blu-ray cases but that "Seller should have acquired the appropriate size envelope and shipped both Blu-ray cases together. Separating the order caused unnecessary delay and anxiety! The items arrived five days apart."

I don't see how this is just as I am not required to send both items in one shipment, especially since I never offered combined shipping in the first place. My only responsibility is to delivery both items by the expected delivery date, and both items were delivered way ahead of time.

Did I deserve this negative feedback and if not, is there any way I can get it removed? I don't think this buyer can be reasoned with as I had already communicated to him the gist of the above when he contacted me.

I always patiently wait a month or more and way beyond the latest expected delivery date when I purchase things shipped by lettermail because I know that delivery times can be very unpredictable and I think it's the kind thing to do; I don't understand why some people don't have the curtesy to harbour even half that amount of patience when they purchase from me.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Unjust negative feedback received. Please help!

@mcrlmn wrote:

Combined shipping should be a given. Go buy an envelope or whatever else you need.

The thing is, I feel like laying two blu-ray cases side by side in one envelope might make them more prone to damage and the envelope ends up being very large and floppy too, unless you place a thick cardboard inside but then the package becomes too thick to ship by lettermail as I use bubble mailer envelopes.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@paperchimes wrote:
@mcrlmn wrote:

Combined shipping should be a given. Go buy an envelope or whatever else you need.

The thing is, I feel like laying two blu-ray cases side by side in one envelope might make them more prone to damage and the envelope ends up being very large and floppy too, unless you place a thick cardboard inside but then the package becomes too thick to ship by lettermail as I use bubble mailer envelopes.

I've found that the cases seem to be okay side by side, but you could always roll something thin up to separate them if you're worried. I just put a "Handle with Care Do Not Bend" sticker on it to make sure a postal worker doesn't try to fold them in half to fit them in a mailbox or something.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

I misread his original post and thought it was two different orders on two different days.  

I agree then that he should have messaged the buyer when he sent out the orders. Sending an item in two different packages isn't the end of the world, but it is a bit out of the norm. Common sense dictates that a buyer might think there was an error with the order. At best, it saves the buyer the hassle of reaching out if they know it was sent in two different packages and may not arrive at the same time. 

The buyer's response was disproportionate if the seller quickly responded and let him know it was sent in two different packages. There are times when lettermail requires more than one package, but I agree with the other posters who say the seller should keep larger bubble mailers on hand for the occasional order of 2 items. The buyer was right to be a bit annoyed or unsatisfied that they had to waste time to reach out to the seller, but it sounds like the seller responded quickly, and the items arrived before the estimated date shown to the buyer. 

It's a learning experience. The seller likely didn't know that two packages sent at the same time could arrive days apart. Now they know to message people before hand. 

They may not be able to get the feedback removed in the case that it wasn't two different orders.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Get some clear packing wrap. It comes on a big roll and is cheap. You can get it at Dollarama, but it might be cheaper to buy it from Staples or an actual supply store. 

Recycle boxes to create cardboard stiffeners. You should be able to fit two stiffeners with Blu-ray cases and still have it barely fit through the lettermail slot in a bubble mailer.

If you do that, you will probably never have a case break. You should be able to ship 2 Blu-ray cases together before you need to use another mailer. 

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

Get some clear packing wrap. It comes on a big roll and is cheap. You can get it at Dollarama, but it might be cheaper to buy it from Staples or an actual supply store. 

Yep this is how I ship two media items side by side in one Oversize Lettermail package. Just wrap them with plastic at the point where they meet and they'll stay together and  won't slide on top of each other in transit. And it's easy for the buyer to remove the plastic wrap.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

Recycle boxes to create cardboard stiffeners. You should be able to fit two stiffeners with Blu-ray cases and still have it barely fit through the lettermail slot in a bubble mailer.

If you do that, you will probably never have a case break. You should be able to ship 2 Blu-ray cases together before you need to use another mailer. 

Yes. Yes. Yes. A standard Blu-ray case (without slipcover) is thinner than a DVD case...in fact, thin enough to accommodate a pair of cardboard flats top and bottom. Trim these flats to at least 1" larger than your combined side-by-side case dimensions so they can be taped together on both sides and at both ends. This will prevent any shifting of your Blu-rays within, while not gumming-up the cases with tape residue, and yet still slipping comfortably into your mailer. You now have a nice, tasty cardboard stiffener sandwich!

...and believe it or not, shoeboxes and cereal boxes will become your new best shipping friends.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

I'm referring to paying for combined shipping for muliple items within one order.

I don't care if the seller ships the items of that order separately.

I'm not referring to two separate orders of different times or dates.

Doesn't occur on any other online vendor's site, so why expect it on eBay?

Message 27 of 27
latest reply