Updates are happening to some item specifics and category structures

--Final Update, October 28--

The category changes announced in our Fall Seller Update have been completed.

Now that all category changes are complete, while you might still see some adjustments to searches, it is okay to update or edit your listings without concerns of losing data or having it moved again. 

We appreciate your feedback on this roll-out. We'll continue to adjust the process based on the input we’ve received here, and we'll take all of these suggestions into consideration for future updates.

As this project is now complete the post is being locked from further comments. 

Resources and observations

We’ve heard from you that updating your Item Specifics in time for the February 2022 requirement date may be a challenge. 

A useful tool that may help is located in the Seller Hub under Listing>Active. There is a drop-down box labeled ‘Download’ which will generate an Excel document for ‘Missing Required or Recommended Item Specifics’. You can read more about this tool here.

Should you come across any inaccuracies within the new Item Specifics we ask that you report those directly to sdsupport@ebay.com so our team can investigate. Outside of that, please share suggestions as to changes you'd like to see going forward here, selecting the Categories and Item Specifics option.

---Update as of October 19th---

We apologize for this delayed update. Thank you for your patience while our teams worked to finalize category changes. 

All listings have been moved to their final destination categories. You may now proceed with checking your categories, revising items, and updating item specifics where needed. 

Some item specifics have been renamed, and the value you originally provided has been copied over to the new item specific, so you don’t need to re-add these item specifics. We encourage you to update your listings with item specifics that are showing as “Required Soon.” These will become required on February 22, 2022. 

All other item specifics are either Recommended or Optional. Learn more about item specifics. 

Some categories were retired and replaced by product-based categories. You and your buyers can still find the items you’re looking for. Simply browse to the product category of your choice and use the filters to refine your search.

More information about key category changes:

• Dolls & Bears. The categories based on Brand/Material/Theme/Character/Franchise/Product Line/Type of doll have been retired. Former categories have been replaced by left-hand navigation filters in the new Dolls & Doll Playsets category. You can access the filters by browsing to the product category of your choice and using Brand/Vintage/Material/Theme/Character/Franchise/Product Line/Type filters to refine your search. 

• Pottery & Glass. The categories based on Brand/Origin/Production Style/Production Technique have also been replaced by filters. You and buyers can now filter by the Brand/Origin/Production Style/Production Technique/Time Period Manufactured.

• Postcards. The categories based on Location/Theme/Subject have been retired and replaced with two main categories for Topographical and Non-Topographical postcards. The former categories have been replaced by left-hand navigation filters in the two new main categories. For example in Topographical Postcards, you can filter by Country and Region.

• Jewelry & Watches. The categories based on Main Stone and Metal Type have been retired and replaced by product-based categories under Fine Jewelry. Use the filters for Main Stone and Metal to refine your search. 

---Update as of October 14th---
The work continues on this move and is progressing according to plan. We are on track and anticipate all category changes for your listings to be complete by end of day tomorrow (10.15). Thank you for your patience while our teams implement these changes.

---Update as of October 13th---

We continue to work through this change and thank you for your patience as our teams work through it. We wanted to provide answers to some top concerns and questions:

Why are Gallery Plus fees being charged for items that were previously free?

We determined that a technical issue impacted a small number of listings, which resulted in incorrect charges (including Gallery Plus, subtitles, and insertion fees) for some sellers. The issue has been fixed and we will be crediting impacted sellers as quickly as possible. No calls to Customer Service are necessary as credits will be issued automatically.

Should I edit my listings if they’re in the wrong category, have been moved to another category, or have wrong or missing item specifics?

No. Recent category changes require updates to many thousands of servers and data changes to nearly every aspect of our platform. This level of adjustment takes time, which is why we asked for your patience while the process runs. We expect most data updates to be completed within 48 hours, but can they take up to a week (i.e., through Oct. 19). After that, if you have an item specific in mind that you think would work well for your listing, please consider adding it as a custom item specific.

Why isn’t my item coming up in search?

The category change update is still in process. We anticipate search issues will resolve when we complete most data updates during the next 24-48 hours. 

There are more item specifics now than ever before. Do I need to fill in all of them?

No. Item specifics that you have already filled in will be maintained as the category moves are completed during the next week. In addition, new soon-to-be-required item specifics are being added and will become required by Feb 22, 2022. As always, the more item specifics you fill out, the better visibility your listing has to buyers. 

For Parts & Accessories, when will fitment/compatibility charts start working again?

There was an issue with parts compatibility not working properly as the category changes rolled out that has been resolved. You should now be able to see the options to add fitment compatibility when editing your listings.

-----------------------------------------------------------

We’re updating some of our categories and item specifics to make your listings easier to find. 

Starting October 12th, you’ll see updates to the following categories. Learn more about category changes →

Collectibles & Art

Jewelry

Musical Instruments

Parts & Accessories

Sporting Goods

As these updates go into effect, you may see temporary impacts to your listing experience or to the visibility of listings in the affected categories.

This is a result of listings transitioning to the updated item specifics and category structures. Your affected listings should return to normal within 48 hours, though you may see irregularities on some listings for up to a week. We recommend checking your item specifics and categories in affected listings after these updates are complete.

These updates also include new item specifics in the above categories, which will be required February 22, 2022. Starting today, these item specifics will be available as you list, with the “Required Soon” tag. Learn more →

We appreciate your patience while we work to make eBay a simpler, easier way to both list items and find them, and are confident that these refinements to our structure accomplish this. 

As always, thank you for selling on eBay

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Current directly related discussion from dot com:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Updates-are-happening-to-some-item-specifics-and-category/td-p...

For repercussions and/or cause and affect!! Definitely NOT for your reading enjoyment!!!! After reading, I need a drink!!!

-Lotz

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

These changes apply to listings on both .CA and .COM, right?

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

These changes apply to listings on both .CA and .COM, right?

Appears so. When I checked the few of mine on dot ca they were in limbo. May take who knows how long to fully update AND the biggy repopulate.

-Lotz

Other reported unfortunate consequences are additional charges for automagic Gallery Plus and for  sellers(US), because of the switch, not being able to ship using the low cost tracked option for listings that have sold today. Something Canadian sellers do not have access to.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Thanks.

Although, have not listed on eBay since mid-April as I won't sign up for MP until more glitches/issues/problems get sorted out, some of those category changes will affect me IF and when I choose to return to eBay...Hubby is now enrolled in MP and his  category also affected by these changes...

We both used to sell on both .CA and .COM but for the foreseeable future, only listing on .CA

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

i dont know what rocket surgeon cam up with these stupid changes but your latest updates are screwing up all possibilities to view ads in some sections of ebay

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Some of the requirements for item specifics are rediculous. I just listed a sewing pattern for pillows. So what do I put for gender, age etc.? I guess any gender and any age can use them!

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Wow!! You weren't kidding it was not for our reading enjoyment! Now I need a drink too!! Think I'm waiting to re-list anything in the hopes some of this gets worked out! Scary read! Looks like it will affect everyone!

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

Wow!! You weren't kidding it was not for our reading enjoyment! Now I need a drink too!! Think I'm waiting to re-list anything in the hopes some of this gets worked out! Scary read! Looks like it will affect everyone!

Many frustrated sellers and it appears also buyers have been affected by this move. With a large number of sellers putting their listings on hold. 

It sounds like a side affect is higher fees in some categories not to mention the automagical surprise charges for gallery fees for some sellers, that has yet to be officially addressed. 

-Lotz

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

If it isn't a required specific, then you don't put anything unless it is specifically for a specific gender, age etc.  I haven't looked at the new specifics but based on what they did last time, a lot of them are probably suggested specifics, not required.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@msau4301 wrote:

Many frustrated sellers and it appears also buyers have been affected by this move. With a large number of sellers putting their listings on hold. 

It sounds like a side affect is higher fees in some categories not to mention the automagical surprise charges for gallery fees for some sellers, that has yet to be officially addressed. 

-Lotz

Ho ho ho ho!
image.jpg

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

What is the Selling Fees for Category which isn't listed on EBay Table ?

My Items switched to Dolls & Bears Category ?

This Category doesn't exist  and my Items not belongs there.

Totaly mess!

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

If I don't fill them all in, I keep getting a reminder about updating my item specifics.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

If you are able to proceed to posting the listing without filling in some of those item specifics, I would do so...

work with the "required" item specifics as best as possible and all other "optional" item specifics can be ignored or utilized as needed.

I am not a current selling member, but I am preparing drafts in different categories to see how this is all playing out so that I can work with these new changes that would affect my listings IF & when I decide to return to selling on eBay..

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

I do ALL of my buying and selling in the plastic model catagory , ever since you made these stupid changes , i cant view any model kits available in any specific catagory or location , can only view from main list which shows ALL models & parts worldwide , Im NOT  spending 4 hours viewing what used to take me 20 minutes to do , might be a good time to move over to Amazon if you cant get your site to work properly.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

@pansy19 wrote:

What is the Selling Fees for Category which isn't listed on EBay Table ?

My Items switched to Dolls & Bears Category ?

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling-fees/store-fees?id=4809

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-fees/store-fees?id=4809

You have to scroll down through the lists.

Dolls & Bears is showing as 11.5% (store) when listed on .ca or 11.7% for .com (for Basic and higher stores).

Non-store rate is 12.35% on .ca and 12.55% for non-store and Starter store on .com

-;-

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

@seller_news_team wrote:

We’re updating some of our categories and item specifics to make your listings easier to find. 

Starting October 12th, you’ll see updates to the following categories. Learn more about category changes →

Collectibles & Art

Jewelry

Musical Instruments

Parts & Accessories

Sporting Goods

As these updates go into effect, you may see temporary impacts to your listing experience or to the visibility of listings in the affected categories.

This is a result of listings transitioning to the updated item specifics and category structures. Your affected listings should return to normal within 48 hours, though you may see irregularities on some listings for up to a week. We recommend checking your item specifics and categories in affected listings after these updates are complete.

These updates also include new item specifics in the above categories, which will be required February 22, 2022. Starting today, these item specifics will be available as you list, with the “Required Soon” tag. Learn more →

We appreciate your patience while we work to make eBay a simpler, easier way to both list items and find them, and are confident that these refinements to our structure accomplish this. 

As always, thank you for selling on eBay

Oct 13 Update - eBay Status Update 

See Post 1 which includes an update on current known issues from the dot com Community Team and how to proceed if they appy to your situation. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Updates-are-happening-to-some-item-specifics-and-category/m-p/...

-Lotz

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Thank you very much!

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

This would be a perfect time to fix the horrible "add reccommended item specifics" BS! Let us as the seller opt out of these notifications!

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@cardconnoisseurs wrote:

This would be a perfect time to fix the horrible "add reccommended item specifics" BS! Let us as the seller opt out of these notifications!

Woke up this morning to so far 2 items requiring Item Specifics. Why. Because the items moved were to  new categories in eBay's infinite wisdom.   All fields for those listings are now blank.

Let the fun and mega extra work begin. My sincerest and heartfelt condolences to anyone that lists exclusively in one of these affected categories. Last time for me this caused 40 to 60 hours in much unappreciated labour to fix with 0 (ZERO) actual benefit to sales.

-Lotz

Message 20 of 29
latest reply