Vacation Settings or extending shipping days - which is better?

I'll be away for 8 days so which is better, putting my store on vacation and hiding my items or just extending my shipping days to 10 days? I've always used the vacation settings before but it always took forever for sales to get back up to normal after I did that.  If I just extend my shipping time won't that make buyers think I normally take a long time to ship? My norm is to ship within 2 days, usually next day.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I always use vacation settings and allow sales while I'm gone.  That way you keep the ball rolling.  My handling time is always 10days (for every item I have) even though I ship quickly because it helps push out estimated arrival date lol

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

My norm is also 2 days.

I've always used vacation/time away with items hidden.

(I'm not sure I can change my handling time in mass because I have a lot of grandfathered items)

My experience is different from yours, when I "reawaken" my store, I have a burst of sales. One does need to have items ready to list as would normally be the case once things are back open otherwise it does dwindle a bit after that.

I don't plan to use long handling times for the very reason you mention, saying one will take 2 weeks to ship, in my own opinion doesn't put the right message in front of the buyer, but that is only me. (I had a provider that had 2 weeks as his handling time and it often took about that long for him to get things on its way, it was always an irritation to me, but I was making money off his stuff so I kept buying - however if I had a choice that was close, I for sure would have gone with the other one with a quicker handling time).

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

If I am away for a week like you are saying, I keep the listing showing but if it is an extended time I hide it.

I also time it to be lifted a  business day before I am back, so if I am returning on Saturday the away time ends to show a normal listing on the Friday.   Of course, you have to be ready to pack and ship when you are back.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I was just away at a science fiction convention from Friday to Monday. I set my Store to "invisible" and  to re-open on Tuesday.

I see no advantage to telling customers that I have the thing they want, but they can't have it.

Like @ricarmic I got a few sales minutes after my Store re-opened.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If it is a short time, I think it is ok, folks know the time frame and I have had some buy and did not mind it being a bit longer.  It would also depend on the item for sale to, and for some Canadians the shipping from inside Canada is much better than from the US.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply