*WARNING* Issues around Shipping Label Refund when purchasing Canada Post Label

ibccshop
Community Member

Has anybody had success with getting a refund from a cancelled Canada Post shipping label?

Ebay is telling me I need to contact Canada Post. Canada Post is telling me that since I did not purchase the label only Ebay can request the refund and then refund me.

It has been over a month since I cancelled a Canada Post shipping label and requested the refund. Originally Ebay said it would take 21 days for the refund to go back into my account, so I called and a CSR said it would take another week for the refund to reach my account. Another week and nothing, so I call yet again, and the rep says 24-72 hours and the money will be in my account. That time came and went a week ago. Called again, spoke to a gentleman in the Ssenior Leadership Team who said I had to call Canada Post to get the refund after speaking to him for over 30 minutes. 

So I called Canada Post back yet again, was directed to log into my Canada Post business account and then go to: www.canadapost.ca/cancel and fill put in the details there (make sure to select the correct option, for me it was individual shipping label(s), and then I put in the tracking number. It did not take me to the next screen instead I got an error message saying that the tracking number entered was incorrect. 

The issue apparently is that since I did not actually purchase the label (eBay ultimately did and charged me for the label), I have no claim to the label and cannot request a refund for it (even though eBay sold me the label).

Ebay is refusing to do anything about this matter because they say that I must take care of the issue since I purchased the label.

I think it's irresponsible for a corporation to not disclose that you have NO recourse if you purchase a label through them and you cancel the label and request a refund.

Just wanted to warn all sellers about the way eBay conducts business when it comes to shipping labels.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"Isn't that likely because in the past you purchased the label directly with CP?"...

Shipping labels purchased through PayPal at that time really weren't any more direct with CP, than they are now as purchased through eBay...both connected to  CP ...

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

in recent years?... NO!

many years back, never an issue getting a refund from CP, but in more recent years, CP seems to not be so obliging...my last 2 requests for a refund for cancelled/voided shipping labels(this was a couple of years ago now and BEFORE Managed Payments), were never ever responded to nor did I get a refund. Have never had to cancel and request a refund for a shipping label since then, so have no other experience to draw on that would be of any assistance..

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

so I called and a CSR said

The phone reps work for a subcontractor in Utah and are poorly trained. Many are vague on concepts like "Canada is not the USA and does not use the USPS". At least the Philippino reps likely have a cousin working in health care in Edmonton.

EBay employees cover the social media Chats.

Many posters have been pleased with the help they get from the Facebook crew.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Isn't that likely because in the past you purchased the label directly with CP? When dealing directly with them, it shouldn't be an issue to get a refund for an unused/canceled label (as you would from Pirate Ship if your US label wasn't used). 

I'm guessing the issue in this case is that the label was purchased through ebay, and ebay is obligated to refund, but is not following through? Because we're in Canada... and nothing seems to work as it should on the Canadian site!

Canadian Sellers REALLY need to have an easy and expedient way of canceling return labels that the scammers don't use. Seems to work quite flawlessly for US sellers.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

"Isn't that likely because in the past you purchased the label directly with CP?"...

Shipping labels purchased through PayPal at that time really weren't any more direct with CP, than they are now as purchased through eBay...both connected to  CP ...

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@ibccshop wrote:

Has anybody had success with getting a refund from a cancelled Canada Post shipping label?

Ebay is telling me I need to contact Canada Post. Canada Post is telling me that since I did not purchase the label only Ebay can request the refund and then refund me.

It has been over a month since I cancelled a Canada Post shipping label and requested the refund. Originally Ebay said it would take 21 days for the refund to go back into my account, so I called and a CSR said it would take another week for the refund to reach my account. Another week and nothing, so I call yet again, and the rep says 24-72 hours and the money will be in my account. That time came and went a week ago. Called again, spoke to a gentleman in the Ssenior Leadership Team who said I had to call Canada Post to get the refund after speaking to him for over 30 minutes. 

So I called Canada Post back yet again, was directed to log into my Canada Post business account and then go to: www.canadapost.ca/cancel and fill put in the details there (make sure to select the correct option, for me it was individual shipping label(s), and then I put in the tracking number. It did not take me to the next screen instead I got an error message saying that the tracking number entered was incorrect. 

The issue apparently is that since I did not actually purchase the label (eBay ultimately did and charged me for the label), I have no claim to the label and cannot request a refund for it (even though eBay sold me the label).

Ebay is refusing to do anything about this matter because they say that I must take care of the issue since I purchased the label.

I think it's irresponsible for a corporation to not disclose that you have NO recourse if you purchase a label through them and you cancel the label and request a refund.

Just wanted to warn all sellers about the way eBay conducts business when it comes to shipping labels.

@dinomitesales 

@ibccshop 

I purchase my postage through only Shippo or Canadapost directly. Because in both cases my small business account is attached I am able to make a claim for credit in a streamlined way. Shippo, when I have needed to use (because of a void) was 7 to 10 business days. Same with past experience with CP and lost claims. Because eBay labels is under their account this was a major fear for me to ever use.  Would you be in the same peril with submitting a claim? Probably. Procedure below for processing a void as per eBay help pages. (bottom of page - according to link they are processed through your orders page)

https://www.ebay.ca/help/buying-printing-postage-labels/posting-items/labels-packaging-tips/selling?...

-Lotz

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I got  a refund recently after 2 weeks of waiting or so.  I printed a 100 g label, then the customer asked to add some stuff, so I needed to buy a new 250 g label. I just cancelled the first label and got the refund.  

Image2.jpg

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

I got  a refund recently after 2 weeks of waiting or so.  I printed a 100 g label, then the customer asked to add some stuff, so I needed to buy a new 250 g label. I just cancelled the first label and got the refund.  

Image2.jpg

@38e_avenue 

@ibccshop 

What service (eBay Labels, Shippo, CP) did you use to create your label?

-Lotz

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

What service (eBay Labels, Shippo, CP) did you use to create your label?

-Lotz

I use only Shippo recently. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

You purchased the label correct? You did not go through eBay to purchase the label?

The issue is when you go through eBay to purchase the label.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Yeah, since eBay Labels doesn't link directly to your Canada Post Solutions for Small Business account, as far as Canada Post is concerned it's eBay buying the label and not you (at least that's what would make sense to me).

The customer service representative at Canada Post you were speaking to was just giving you the generic instructions to find a label on your Canada Post account and request a refund - they were probably confused about how you bought the label and probably wasn't even aware that you could buy a Canada Post label directly through eBay.

I bet the rep you were talking to at eBay probably has no idea how eBay Labels works in Canada (most of their calls/experience is based on the U.S. side of things and the integration with USPS/eBay.COM is a lot different than CPC/eBay.CA), so I wouldn't take anything they have to say at face value.

devon@ebay  - can you provide assistance here or put @ibccshop in touch with the eBay Labels CANADA team?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Correct!

It's not an issue when purchasing directly from Canada Post, the issue is when you purchase the Canada Post label through eBay.

I never have had an issue with purchasing FedEx shipping labels through eBay, because they don't charge eBay (and eBay doesn't charge the us, the seller) until after the package is delivered to avoid this type of issue.

Still waiting on the refund to even show as processing or showing the funds as available!

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

In the US it is also ebay that pays USPS for labels. So when a seller voids a label they are refunded by ebay.  I would imagine that usps first gives ebay the refund and then ebay passes it on.  The posters there usually say it takes a couple of weeks but I suspect that it isn't working as well on this side of the border.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Yes it's only suppose to 21 days from the time the void label request is done by me (the seller) until eBay returns the amount charged as they have to verify through Canada Post that the label was not used and then wait to get credited before they refund me.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Wondering if you got your refund? I am in similar situation. Bought a label through ebay and customer want to add more items so the size and weight has changed. Will I get a refund if I void my original label? The ebay site did say "if" Canada post allows the refund but no guarantees. So debating to void label or just do 2 shipments.
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Finally got the refund through Senior Leadership Team member who had to process it manually. Took forever but I finally got to right department (Senior Leadership Team members in the U.S.) who actually have the authority and ability to issue refunds.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Hey do you mind letting me know how you got through to that team? I'm currently experiencing the same issue. Thanks!
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

I doubt that they will see your question as they havent been on the boards in months.

The original post was from last year.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply