WWYD - how would you advise or would you?

I sold a CD today and when I went to check it on my computer it wouldn't recognize the CD.  I tried in on a stand alone Asus CD DVD writer and also a laptop and it worked fine.  It works fine in a stereo.  Would you mention that to the buyer?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Ship it, if it doesn't play for them apologize and refund.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I sold a CD today and when I went to check it on my computer it wouldn't recognize the CD.  I tried in on a stand alone Asus CD DVD writer and also a laptop and it worked fine.  It works fine in a stereo.  Would you mention that to the buyer?

Sounds like your computer drive may need a cleaning. It can be dust on reader lens.  Those lenses can be very finicky.

https://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-a-cd-rom-drive/

-Lotz

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

^^^^ This!

If you have a desktop with an optical drive it must be pretty old as these drives have not been standard in desktops for quite a few years.

The optical drives included with desktops were usually the cheapest available and because of the case cooling fans likely coated with gunk.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The actual optical laser component itself degrades over time as well......

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

This is the unit I have in my desktop and I clean it at least once a month.   Thanks.  What do you suggest I do?  Should I get a new CD/DVD?  Do they wear out.  Works 99% of the time only a few CD's it can't read.  

drve.jpg

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

If you actually have a use for these things I would buy an EXTERNAL (Portable) drive (USB) that you can use with your desktop and also with a laptop/tablet etc. or use when you want to have something to use if/when you are using someone else's computer.

I clean it at least once a month

You actually get inside the optical drive with a q-tip and clean the lens????

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I do have an external drive too but use my computer CD/DVD all the time.  I just use the Allsop leans cleaner by just putting it in and let it play it a couple of times.    Never tried a cotton swab yet, is that hard to do?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I just used a hair dryer and also put in the lens cleaner and it seems to have done the trick.  I guess I need to use the lens cleaner more often.  Thanks everyone. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply