Walmart hired the head of eBay Seller Experience

Walmart snagged a 12-year veteran of eBay as it revealed plans to open its Marketplace to thousands of sellers. Jordan Sweetnam was most recently Vice President of Seller Experience for eBay, where he oversaw the development, strategy and delivery of tools and experiences to sellers. He joined Walmart this month as Vice President of Global Product at Walmart eCommerce.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y16/m04/i26/s01

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I wonder.... given the opportunity, how many Canadians here would love to sell their products through Walmart, the largest retailer in the world?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Maybe Walmart should just buy Ebay, fix it and run it under their name as a subsidiary

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I read that this morning too and, frankly, I'm surprised that an ebay executive at that level isn't held to some kind of non-competition clause upon leaving the workplace. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Maybe Walmart should just buy eBay, fix it and run it under their name as a subsidiary

If Walmart was to run eBay, I can just see the fee increases to squeeze every last dime out of sellers and force sellers to list at the lowest possible price at the same time.

On tyrannical controlling owner for a worse one.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Isn't that what Ebay is doing now?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

eBay forces you to list at the lowest possible price?

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

When I look in Walmart.com for some of the stuff I sell, there is one approved Marketplace seller that I've seen. (He is also a well-known ebay seller with his/her own website sales.) His prices are not the lowest possible on Walmart.com but, all the same, I would be challenged to meet them as a Canadian seller if I were to try to compete at some point in the future. There is a wide Retail Price disparity between goods found in the USA vs. Canada in the Toys category (even factoring exchange) due to economies of scale. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Maybe Walmart should just buy eBay, fix it and run it under their name as a subsidiary

If Walmart was to run eBay, I can just see the fee increases to squeeze every last dime out of sellers and force sellers to list at the lowest possible price at the same time.

On tyrannical controlling owner for a worse one.

I can see it now, a virtual warehousing fee/price decay function. Your listings haven't turned in 90 days and are now subject to a 10% per month mandatory price reduction.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

On One tyrannical controlling owner for a worse one.

Sorry typo. I am such a poor proofreader even on 3 line posts!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Reading Sam Walton's biography was very interesting.

For example, he was given $5000 to start his business by his father in law.

While that sounds like nothing much, that was my father's annual wage as a unionized electrician at the time.

And their pricing is not always the cheapest, but they subsidize the price on frequently purchased items like light bulbs and toilet paper to give that illusion.

And yes, they are known for squeezing their suppliers.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

On One tyrannical controlling owner for a worse one.

Sorry typo. I am such a poor proofreader even on 3 line posts!

I never notice my own typos until I hit 'post'. Every time, I have to go back and 'edit' my post.

Was this this former VP guy well-regarded here? I really would have thought at that level of business, an executive would be unable to migrate to a competitor upon exit. Maybe ebay is sending him to Walmart Marketplaces with their 'blessings' like a blanket contaminated with smallpox. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Well this announcement has a certain har-money to it. The one-time level (long ago) playing field acting as a farm team for the world's most slanted gigantic playing field... 🙂

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Ebay is all about us selling for less so that profits are more. Isn't that Wal Mart's motto afterall. I hope Jordan sweetnam was able to get more than the minimum wage!Smiley LOL

JORDAN

Message 14 of 14
latest reply