Watch for scammers (on Kijiji this time)

14 REPLIES 14

73rhc
Community Member
This almost exact situation happened to me. However, mine was legit.

I had an add selling a 340 cid Mopar motor on Kijiji. One day I get an email, offering me full asking price. I soon find out gay the guy is from France. I've heard of these scams before, so I inform him that it's pick up only and cash only. I received sporadic emails over the course of about 5 months. First, he's coming to North America on vacation. He never contacted me. Then he asks me to crate it up and he will arrange for shipping. Again, I refuse, sensing a scam.

Well, one day I get an email from his shipper. Asking when he could pick it up. I give him my address and advise him to bring cash. He actually showed up, paid cash and all ended well.

This had all of the warning signs of a scam. But ended up being a great transaction.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

sergus0
Community Member

I am very glad you didn't lose your money!  Don't ever feel dumb over something like that.  Feel grateful that you are not a piece of scum walking the earth.  That is something to be proud of (not being scum, that is).  I have a number of items for sale on Kijiji - I don't think I would survive being an Ebay seller ; )

Two of my Kijiji scammer's emails were almost the same "your asking price sounds fair, I will pay it."  Right, without seeing the item?  Only happens on bigger priced items.  One was a sideboard, woman from England wanted it.  Tip-off for me - why ship to England, that would be a fortune, and England is full of beautiful antiques, my sideboard is very plain.  And my fav, scammers want to be paid through PayPal.  Do that, and you end up losing your item, and your money.

But, since that woman who was selling a bracelet got beat very badly by a potential buyer who came to her house and that poor man (R.I.P.) who took a potential buyer out for a ride in his truck that was for sale, and he was murdered.... no one comes to my house, which also means I can't sell anything that isn't portable in the SUV.  Funny also, I can exchange a few emails with a potential buyer, everything is set - day, time, and I end with "we will meet you tomorrow...." and I never hear from them again, once I mention "we" and not "I."  That is scary and suspicious in itself.   Meeting places are always in public places - coffee shops, mall, etc. and cash only.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

DH and I went to see our financial planner in December.  He had found a boat on Kijiji that was located in the NWT if I remember correctly.  After some correspondence he agreed to make the purchase.  In the meantime, he knew someone who was in the area and requested that the man be able to see the boat.  The seller used some excuse that it couldn't be seen because it was all ready to be shipped.  Fortunately that sounded an alarm bell and my FP decided to cancel the purchase.

I explained to him the risks of buying something worth that much money on Kijiji sight unseen and that there would be no protection for him if it turned out to be a scam.  He also asked me questions about eBay and said he would ask me for advice if he wanted to make a similar purchase here.

Should I feel guilty for feeling a little bit proud that I was able to give advice to my financial planner? 

Woman Wink

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

This is really good information for anyone who has limited experience with fraudsters. Im glad to see moneygram does help protect its customers! 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Feel dumb???

My transaction was done in person with cash. I don't see your point.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

That is because I wasn't replying to you....

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Who else could you possibly been replying to???

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Old thread.

The person almost scammed did not post here.  It was included in the link I posted eleven months ago.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

If you look at my original post it says  'in reply to pierrelebel'  - a link that person posted last year.  It was not to you.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Hello everyone sadly I was scammed to the tune of 23000$ on kijiji,

For an item I listed for sale after being contacted for more pictures and proof of authenticity the scam began claiming her was a public figure here in Montreal. Several days of talking live on cell and emails for his AKA boss whom claimed knew me from my old job. A certified check was issued where the meeting time was pushed to the almost late time of 545 to give my bag to driver. Obviously check bounced this person claimed he was the accountant and now I am out both my bag and my money (bounced certified check) I feel like the idiot of the century even though the ban k said it was the best fake check they had seen

Any help or suggestion as the cops said really isn't top of their list or a priority to them the fraud department

Street cameras don't work besides Starbucks but seems would take a year and long shot that was taken outside door where I ws parked 

Please anyone help with any guidance

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

In a situation such as this....  No matter how much money is involved   it should be a cash transaction.

If you are the buyer.....  and have your money in an account at the Bank of Montreal...  the transfer of money would be directly from the buyer's account  to the seller's account.

If the seller does not have an account at the Bank of Montreal... they should open an account.at the Bank of Montreal

This would be a direct transfer of money from buyer to seller...

No cheque... no money order... no certified cheque

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Yes originally it's what I had been firm on cash or nothing but as days went by and he used our connection with his boss and my religion and background same as his I believed he wouldn't do that to his own kind like he said
My huge mistake
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

23 thousand $ and the cops won't help?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

You can transfer money from any to any bank. No need to have the account at the same bank.

I had a similar transaction - sold an expensive item to a guy from China. 

I informed him the only payment I would accept is bank transfer of Western Union. He refused, so I though the story would end there.

But he really wanted that item and finally asked his friend from other country to send money to me through Western Union. All ended well: happy seller/happy buyer.

Scams happen very often, someone recently tried to "buy" an expensive camera from me using exactly the same method described above (camera - 500 dol paid with a certified cheque for 1000 dol.).

Please remember, the only SAFE methods of payment are the IRREVERSIBLE ones: bank transfer, Western Union (MoneyGram, etc.) or cash.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply