What Ebay "Global Shipping Program" has done to Canadian buyers

Earlier, a $99 item from a private seller cost $20 to ship via USPS, no taxes, ends up costing buyer $119.00.

Now, with global shipping:

-4-5 extra days travel time.

-About a $7.00 global shipping fee. (hidden)

-Always gets taxed by Canada Post because of Ebay logo so another $13.00.

-Gets a $10 "processing charge" from Canada Post.

Total new cost:  $149 plus 4-5 extra days wait. 

Thanks much, Ebay.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: What Ebay "Global Shipping Program" has done to Canadian buyers

Still a zombie thread...

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@kdwebber wrote:

Anyone who suggest that the ebay global shipping program is good for buyers or sellers has no idea what they are talking about, or they work for ebay. As a Canadian it has caused me to reduce my purchases from the US by about 90%. That means no bidding on American items, and driving the bids up. The sellers lose out on higher auction sales. If you all are fine with lower auction sales, that's fine. I know that I am not the only Canadian who has basically stopped bidding on American auctions because of the outrageous shipping fees charged by the ebay global shipping program.

A lot has changed since this thread was first started over three and a half years ago, @kdwebber.  The Global Shipping Program has been discontinued in the United States (it's still a thing in the UK) and replaced by the confusingly-named "eBay International Shipping."  It works a little differently than the old Global Shipping Program, particularly when it comes to charging and collecting taxes (and duty, if applicable) due on the item.

Yes, shipping through eIS can be expensive, but shipping rates have gone up considerably over the past three and a half years, too.  A fellow Canadian posted their concerns about shipping prices through eIS half a week or so ago on the US eBay discussion boards.  You may find some of the responses from US sellers to be interesting:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-International-Shipping-is-a-rip-off-for-buyers/m-p/344193...

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

It can be useful to look at the other side of the transaction.

As marnotom says, the cost of USPS international tracked shipping has soared under Postmaster General deJoy.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

And the UPU is getting tougher about shipping goods without customs declarations, which means Canadian sellers of small goods like stamps or sportscards cannot reliably use untracked LetterMail to ship to the USA anymore.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for your understanding!

Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 24 of 24
latest reply