What is with the $1000 limit? Anyone else annoyed by this? eBay now only for professional sellers?

How do you get your limit increased to $15K?  Without being a store? 

Just spend 1 hour on hold to get my limit increased from $1000 to $1250. 

Seems like this is now just for stores and not consumers. 

Anyone have any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

What is with the $1000 limit? Anyone else annoyed by this? eBay now only for professional sellers?

Having a store doesn't have anything to do with limits. You haven't sold anything on this id so I don't know if you are just starting to sell or if you have been selling for a while under another id. If you are a new seller the way to get your limit increased is to sell as much as you can and to make sure that your customers are happy.  Once you have a track record ebay should be more willing to raise your limits.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Everyone has limits. With eBay, it is called "Managing your listings". I got fairly adept at listing, de-listing, re-listing.

You get higher limits by selling, not listing. Work hard and you will get what you want. SELL for three months, not just list, and then give them another call.

By the by, they keep track of how often you call. I know, I asked.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

How do you get your limit increased to $15K?

Behave yourself and apply every thirty days for an increase. Have a reasonable reason why you need the increase and stick with that story each time you call (they make notes in your file).

I started a secondary selling ID last year and faced the same situation in spite of a long history on this id. Every thirty days I clicked the link to increase my limit and each time the limit was increased. It's now at a level that exceeds what I need.

If you are wondering why this policy is in effect, just be aware that the days of new sellers coming and listing a million dollars worth of goods and then vanishing are OVER. This was a serious problem a few years ago.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

This is an area I was completely ignorant of -- I guess I must have somehow not bumped into it during my selling time here.  So pardon this question, but are a seller's listing limits displayed somewhere on the Summary page, or elsewhere?  I've never noticed them!  

Or is it just a question of getting hit once you try to go over the invisible line? 

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Rose, I believe some IDs which were in place and in a trusted state before Ebay implemented this still have no visible limits on them. My other ID is like yours.

On this ID, which I started early this year, I see it right on my ebay page at the top. It shows my limit, how much I have used so far this month, and how much I have left. There is a limit both on the number of items, as well as the total dollar value.

Chris

EDIT: And like the OP, I started out with a very low limit. If I recall it was 10 items and $1000 dollars. Today I have 1200 items and $18,000

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Rose, I believe some IDs which were in place and in a trusted state before Ebay implemented this still have no visible limits on them. My other ID is like yours.

This is correct. Additionally ALL sellers have limits but older accounts don't display the limit until you hit it for the first time. If you want to find out what it is try listing (during a free listing promo) 10,000 $1000 items (or 1,000,000 $10 items)......you'll quickly find out what your limit is.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

I have a related question, what counts in the listing limits? Do store GTC items count toward the total each time they roll over? Ie if someone has a $50,000 limit and $40,000 worth of GTC items, does that mean they can list $50,000 of new items each month or only the $10,000 they have left above the GTC items? (I have no idea how much I have running in terms of $$$ value only the count of different items)
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

The limits are the total of what you have sold (during the month) and what you have listed at any given point in time.

If you have a $50,000 limit and have sold $5,000 you can list $45,000 worth of items.

Keep in mind, if you list a Fixed Price item with a single quantity of $10, that's $10 to your limit, if you list a $10 item as multi-quantity of 100 units that's $1000 afgainst your limit.

You reach your limit based on quantity OR value so the mix of quantities/values is something to consider if you are reaching you limit.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

(I have no idea how much I have running in terms of $$$ value only the count of different items)

Have a look at the Seller Limits section of My eBay, it's all tracked there so you can see exactly where you stand at any given moment.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

This account has been around since 1999 and I haven't hit my limit yet so it is not showing anywhere, that I can find at least.

I'm assuming I can't find out where I stand any other way than the fictitious listing suggestion you made earlier?

I'm also assuming then that the GTC items count as they roll over each time too right?
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

I'm also assuming then that the GTC items count as they roll over each time too right?

Nothing to do with rolling over, the count is based on ACTIVE listings.

I know someone who hit their limit when they listed a multi-quantity high value item but made an error and tried to list a quantity of 1000 instead of 10.

If I recall correctly their limit turned out to be $250,000, an amount they would normally never come anywhere close to.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

OK Great! Thank you for the information it was helpful!
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Thanks so much for your help 'recped' -- unbelievable what you find out on these boards!  

Although I highly doubt I'll ever surpass whatever my current limit is, if I am fortunate enough to have 100 items worth $1,000 a piece to list, I may find out.  Ordinarily, it sounds as if I can assume I'll never need to worry about this issue.  

One last question -- do limits somehow automatically accumulate and accrue over the years on these older accounts like mine, or do you know if they were set higher to begin with and are now just "grandfathered" in?  

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Have a look at the Seller Limits section of My eBay, it's all tracked there so you can see exactly where you stand at any given moment.

Sorry, where is this?  On the seller Summary page somewhere, on the Dashboard details, or somewhere else?  I couldn't see it.  Thanks! 

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

Rose: Your account is like mine, it's too old.....it won't show....till you hit the limit
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:
Rose: Your account is like mine, it's too old.....it won't show....till you hit the limit

OK, gotcha!   (No wonder I couldn't locate it).  Thanks!

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

One last question -- do limits somehow automatically accumulate and accrue over the years on these older accounts like mine, or do you know if they were set higher to begin with and are now just "grandfathered" in?  

I can only guess......

When limits were started 2 or 3 years ago eBay probably ran a program to examine every sellers past history and place a limit based on that history. The limits are actually pretty generous. If historically for a number of years you ran 500 listings worth $50,000 you limit may have been set at 5,000 items and $250,000.

No doubt other factors such as the type of products you sell, claims history etc are all data points used to set the limits.

On that new account I opened it took me about 5 months to get the limit up to a level where I stopped bothering to ask for increases, based on how they were increasing them in the first 5 months I expect if I'd continued to ask it would now be at level far in excess of what I would ever need.

They certainly did ask lots of questions about why I wanted the increase, once when my story changed slightly the csr said "last month you said...." and then quoted verbatim what I had said the month before. That's why I said to keep your "story" straight.

In my case I said I had a different product line that I didn't want to mix with my regular account and that I had essentially unlimited stock to list if they would let me. Since I was talking about low value items I kept mentioning that I needed an item increase more than a value increase but it seems as if they would only give me both!

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Thanks so much 'recped' for replying so fully.  

This has been very illuminating, although it sounds as if I won't have to be concerned about limits unless I decide to open a second account. 

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

chinavases
Community Member

Of course, I just would not believe in that but... I opened second ebay account exclusively for selling out my old Chinese collection and guess what!?

Nearly my every single item worth more than this stupid limit!

Ebay advised me to link other account, the one without limits by promising to match limit on the new account, BUT INCREASED LIMIT ONLY TO £1000! WHAT A RUBBISH AND WASTING OF TIME... ESPECIALLY THAN I NEED TO LIST BUDDHA STATUE FOR 20.000...

ChinaVases

Message 20 of 26
latest reply