Whats Managed Payments All about

I just got the ebay email saying they are converting to Managed Payments, and I have until July to sign up.

Is this eBay's attempt to get around Paypal?

After 20 years, and a rough start, Paypal is now a good service that works (unlike eBay's frequent software glitches).  

I like the idea of selling an item on ebay, then getting paid via Paypal.

If it isn't broken, then why fix it?

Does this mean ebay is about to screw this up?

Does this mean its finally time to get off ebay?

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

MP will be the eBay payment system going forward over the next year as all sellers will have to sign up for it if they want to continue to sell on eBay. There will be no choice, no PayPal only option, it will be eBay's Managed Payment system. Buyers will still be able to pay via PayPal as well as credit and debit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and PayBright.

Over the past year USA sellers have been forced into MP in groupings, as well as German...now Canada's turn...

The .COM boards are always filled with discussions on MP. I do not know how the plan goes for Canadian sellers, but this is the latest available on the .COM boards:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Managed-Payments-Answers-to-some-Frequently-Asked-Questions/t...

Message 2 of 64
latest reply

The good news is that eBay will not be leaving us to pay fees on those annoying US Internet Sales Taxes that they run through our customer invoices.

The bad news is that Managed Payments charge a non-refundable service charge on every sale, not on every transaction.

So if your PP customer bought five items you would pay 30c for the whole  transaction.

If your MP customer bought five items you would pay $1.25 for the transaction.

The MP percentage is marginally lower than the PP percentage at the moment.

Message 4 of 64
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The good news is that eBay will not be leaving us to pay fees on those annoying US Internet Sales Taxes that they run through our customer invoices.

The bad news is that Managed Payments charge a non-refundable service charge on every sale, not on every transaction.

The MP percentage is marginally lower than the PP percentage at the moment.

Other way around.

MP will have a non-refundable service charge on every order not on every item.

"An order is defined as any number of items purchased by the same buyer at checkout with the same shipping method."

Non-refundable fee will be 30 cents (starting in July).  Same as PP.

MP will be charging a percentage on internet tax (just like PP) starting in July.

More details (and heated discussion) on .com forums: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Managed-Payments-Answers-to-some-Frequently-Asked-Questions/t...

MP will be returning fees on refunds, which PP stopped doing this month.

MP money % appears to be 2.35% (starting in July), but that's a moving target. We will have to wait until the dust settles.

-..-

Message 5 of 64
latest reply

I am happy to be wrong.

Message 6 of 64
latest reply

To be fair, it looks like you are both right. 

To date, on .com there is a 25 cent per item fixed fee, and that is being changed in July to the 30 cent per order fee.

The FAQs that were linked are a great source of info, at least for .com's program. I'm hoping we'll get more info on the Canadian program in the coming days/weeks. I'll share as I receive it!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 64
latest reply

The per item fee will become a per order fee in July, but also with MP there comes some changes in FVF  fees. The discussion on the .COM forum I referenced in my above post, is a real eye opener...

Message 8 of 64
latest reply

The link in Message 3 is from eBay Canada...

This should be  for Canadian sellers.....

Message 9 of 64
latest reply

perhaps pose your questions in the weekly chat

Message 10 of 64
latest reply

How will combined shipping ( with different shipping cost )  be calculated?

Message 11 of 64
latest reply

there is no real information there, nothing that is not already known and the link "learn more" =non-useable

Message 12 of 64
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

More details (and heated discussion) on .com forums: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Managed-Payments-Answers-to-some-Frequently-Asked-Questions/t...

MP money % appears to be 2.35% (starting in July)

The  MP money percentage jumps to 4.00% for sales shipped out of country.

Multiple sites.  It looks like ebay plans to convert the money to your payout currency.  So a sale on .com in US$ will get converted to Canadian$ for a Canadian seller. Comes with a 3% conversion fee built-in.

Not sure if this happens immediately (*) or when the payments are made to your bank account.

(*) which could be a big problem for refunds Canadian sellers make on an ebay.com sale, with a double whammy of exchange fees.

This info is all for ebay.com -- will have to see what ebay.ca will do (but I expect something similar).  ebay.com still has the MP help files hidden from non-MP sellers. This all stuff leaked by MP sellers when posting.

-..-

Message 13 of 64
latest reply

For US sellers, that 4% charge is a reduction. Paypal charges them 4.4% for non-US payments.

For Canadians it is a rise, since PP charges us 3.4% for US payments and 3.9% for other currencies. (Please correct those numbers if they are wrong- I can't keep them in my head. They are 3point something %)

Considering that for most Canadian sellers, over 80% of our business in from the USA, that could be very important.

Message 14 of 64
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

For US sellers, that 4% charge is a reduction. Paypal charges them 4.4% for non-US payments.

For Canadians it is a rise, since PP charges us 3.4% for US payments and 3.9% for other currencies. (Please correct those numbers if they are wrong- I can't keep them in my head. They are 3point something %)

Now at 3.7% (used to be 3.4% a few years ago) for USA sales and 3.9% for rest of the world.

If ebay.CA MP is the same as the USA, then increases of 0.3% and 0.1% -- fairly minor, compared to other MP changes.

-..-

Message 15 of 64
latest reply

That learn more link is broken because it has two h's in the https part. Some dev at eBay did a typo and then they actually put it up without anyone testing it. 

Here is the link eBay has

hhttps://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

Here is the link it should of been

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

Message 16 of 64
latest reply

the "corrected" link still does not work

Message 17 of 64
latest reply

@electronicifycanada  @westcoastart2 

Suggesting sellers sign up for Managed Payments when there seems to be more questions than answers seems very much like putting the cart before the horse. Especially when associated links that need to work with those answers, don't work from the get go.

-Lotz

Message 18 of 64
latest reply

Shopify is looking better and better each passing day...

...and so much easier to "manage" payments too!

Message 19 of 64
latest reply

I will not be signing up, and if I do it will be at the very last moment...if at all!

Message 20 of 64
latest reply