Which carriers still use signature confirmation?

It is my understanding that:

1 - Signature confirmation is required on items with a 750 CAD or higher total.

2 - Canada Post no longer provides signature confirmation at the door, or at the post office. Even if it is required, they do not collect the signature. At the post office, I've seen that they press the accept button the machine without an actual signature.

My questions are:

1 - Which carriers in Canada will still collect a signature?

2 - Which carriers in the US will collect a signature? (Does USPS still do it?)

3 - Is 'card for pickup' with signature required checked off sufficient to meet eBay's signature requirement, even if Canada Post does not collect the signature at the time the person picks it up?

On a side note, I would prefer a service that won't stick customers in the US with brokerage (not import) fees, like UPS does when items are imported into Canada. That would be a consideration. Is Fedex my best option?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Which carriers still use signature confirmation?

The buyer is not going to leave negative feedback because technically they refused it. Just remember to politely remind them to pick up so eBay sees you tried.

Actually if it is Undeliverable, technically the seller is not required to refund either.

So there is that.

Ethically of course you would refund something-- perhaps less your doubled shipping expense.

I wrote this up once with quotes : UNDELIVERABLE ITEMS

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

This is the part I'm referring to

Exclusions and special coverage when the buyer doesn't receive an item

Items collected by a third party on behalf of the buyer
-Not covered

The buyer arranged their own shipping method, such as a courier pickup
-Not covered

The buyer provided an invalid or incorrect address at checkout
-Not covered

I don't know how to do screenshots.  There is a LOT of information on that page.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@mr.special-editions 

Now if only card for pick up were included as options with Ebay Labels or Shippo. Only way you can get that option is with Snap Ship or at the counter. (PayPal Shipping - Unknown)

Backwards work around would be if buyer had signed up and used Flex Delivery.

-Lotz

COVID-19 frequently asked questions | Our company | Canada Post (canadapost-postescanada.ca)

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

I work part time as a Canada Post retail clerk at one of the Shopper's Drug Mart 'authorized dealer' locations - have worked there for the past 5 years including a stint as a manager. I can shed a bit of light here.

There are still a few instances that we are required to collect a signature: Registered mail (if domestic, this is only Registered Lettermail); parcels for which there is a customs amount owing; parcels that require age verification (e.g. cannabis, alcohol); and parcels sent with the "Proof of Identity" option. Note that mail carriers are told not to collect a signature at the door under ANY circumstances, so any time a parcel falls into one of these four categories it is automatically sent to a post office for pick-up (I guess the thinking is that it's easier for us to regularly sanitize the machine that collects the signatures).

For all other transactions that *used to* have a signature option, it's all still there on the computer (and still says "Signature Required" on the shipping label), the price has just been overridden to zero dollars. So when we deliver these parcels we are instructed to just override the signature machine and complete the transaction. I think some post offices are still collecting signatures - there's nothing stopping them from it, and if they DO happen to collect one it will show up on the tracking as normal.

For high-value items sold on eBay I would recommend selecting the "Card for Pick-up" option when creating the label, as someone else on this thread suggested. This won't collect a signature but it will force the item to go to the post office which makes it impossible for the package to be stolen from the customer's  front door - also whoever picks it up would need to have the necessary ID so there's no risk of it being accidentally delivered to the wrong address. The "Card for Pick-up" option CAN NOT be purchased at the counter, it is only available online.

For items in excess of the $750 threshold the only way to ensure that the parcel receives a signature is to select the "Proof of Age" option when purchasing the shipping label (again, only available online, NOT at the counter). The only downside is that the recipient must be 18+ in order to pick-up the item but I doubt that is too much of a concern as I can't imagine there are too many people under the age of 18 ordering things on eBay in excess of $750 (and even then they could just authorize another individual to pick it up on their behalf).

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Hi.

Thanks. The topic you created has given us some great information so I'm giving you a helpful!

ITWM

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

I agree it would be great if eBay labels or Shippo could implement these features.  I believe they are exclusive to CP online only.   I like Shippo it's quick and convient and I use it for items under $300 (if I recall correctly eBay promoted shippo a few years back)

Unlike eBay shipping you can attach your own CP account and the money you spend will go towards aquiring permnament levels of discounts (as long as you keep shipping)  You also get a paper reciept when you have your parcel scanned in at the post office, it shows the service, desination postal code and time/date (further proof you shipped the item, saved me a few times with PayPal in the past)

@dinomitesales excellent post and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

I would recommend selecting the "Card for Pick-up" option when creating the label, as someone else on this thread suggested. This won't collect a signature but it will force the item to go to the post office

Would it help the carrier if, in addition to purchasing the service, they wrote CARD FOR PICKUP , on the package manually?

MLP glitter cannon-gif.gif

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

It shouldn't be necessary, no. If you select the option when printing the label (it's actually free, so there is nothing to purchase) it prints the words "Card for Pick-up" on the label itself. In addition, any time the barcode scanned by a Canada Post employee/computer it will show up in the item details saying that it's a "Card for Pick-up" item and should be sorted as such. If done properly the parcel should never actually make it into the hands of a carrier at all, rather it's set aside at the depot to be included in the daily delivery to the post office.

That being said, it doesn't HURT to write it on the package - you can write whatever you like on the package, but I can't guarantee anyone's ever going to read it 😛

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

You said

"any time the barcode scanned by a Canada Post employee/computer it will show up in the item details"

Does your suggestion to use "Card for Pickup" also apply to packages that are shipped to the USA or Internationally? What about places in Europe, Austraila or South America? 

Thanks!

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

The "Card for Pick-up" option is only available for domestic Canadian shipments.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

tyler@ebay   confirmed that in a Wednesday chat a couple of months ago.

I'll look for it, but it was in a longer thread so it might be hard to find.

Perhaps Tyler will repeat the information when he returns from his break.

Keep in mind that our American customers luxuriate in a duty-free allowance of $800US.

And while there is usually state sales tax, eBay is handling that on purchase, not on the doorstep.

The UPS "problem" was that they were charging Canadian import fees (correctly and legally, for all our gnashing of teeth) on imports over $20Cdn (~$15US) and had a brokerage fee of $25 or so even on those.

FedEx is sneakier, because they would hand over the parcel, then send the brokerage invoice weeks later.  Whether they do this in the USA , where customers are a) more litigious and b) armed, I am not sure.

Hi @reallynicestamps - as long as you purchase the service where it is required (on orders 750 CAD and higher) it will protect you in the event a not-received request is opened with us.  This is even if the carrier you purchase it from is not actively collecting signatures at this time. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 30 of 32
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Still haven't found the Tyler post, but as I remember it, eBay was accepting the mere fact that we bought the Confirmation as proof of the Confirmation.

Anyone else have any notes about this?

For a buck fifty, it's worth it.  Remember this has very little to do with the carrier and everything to do with eBay.

Going forward unless it pops up as an option for Xpresspost when order reaches 750.00 eBay needs to update the system to add this an option with eBay Labels. From checking any shipments I had available for processing I have never seen it as an upgrade option.

tyler@ebay 

-Lotz

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

Thanks @lotzofuniquegoodies - I'll get that suggestion to the labels team.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 32 of 32
latest reply