Which carriers still use signature confirmation?

It is my understanding that:

1 - Signature confirmation is required on items with a 750 CAD or higher total.

2 - Canada Post no longer provides signature confirmation at the door, or at the post office. Even if it is required, they do not collect the signature. At the post office, I've seen that they press the accept button the machine without an actual signature.

My questions are:

1 - Which carriers in Canada will still collect a signature?

2 - Which carriers in the US will collect a signature? (Does USPS still do it?)

3 - Is 'card for pickup' with signature required checked off sufficient to meet eBay's signature requirement, even if Canada Post does not collect the signature at the time the person picks it up?

On a side note, I would prefer a service that won't stick customers in the US with brokerage (not import) fees, like UPS does when items are imported into Canada. That would be a consideration. Is Fedex my best option?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

I don't know of any carriers that are guranteeing recipient signatures at the moment. Mostly the driver signs on behalf of the recipient. From what I've heard eBay will accept that.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

tyler@ebay   confirmed that in a Wednesday chat a couple of months ago.

I'll look for it, but it was in a longer thread so it might be hard to find.

Perhaps Tyler will repeat the information when he returns from his break.

Keep in mind that our American customers luxuriate in a duty-free allowance of $800US.

And while there is usually state sales tax, eBay is handling that on purchase, not on the doorstep.

The UPS "problem" was that they were charging Canadian import fees (correctly and legally, for all our gnashing of teeth) on imports over $20Cdn (~$15US) and had a brokerage fee of $25 or so even on those.

FedEx is sneakier, because they would hand over the parcel, then send the brokerage invoice weeks later.  Whether they do this in the USA , where customers are a) more litigious and b) armed, I am not sure.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

I sold an item a couple weeks ago that required a signature as it was over the $750 limit. I was having issues with eBay labels so I went in to the Canada Post office to ship via XpressPost (cheapest option with signature).  When I asked to add the signature option, the lady flat out told me to not waste my money as CP no longer collects signatures. She then went on to say that I'd be LUCKY to get an electronic name added by the driver and most either don't put anything or put something generic. 

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Still haven't found the Tyler post, but as I remember it, eBay was accepting the mere fact that we bought the Confirmation as proof of the Confirmation.

Anyone else have any notes about this?

For a buck fifty, it's worth it.  Remember this has very little to do with the carrier and everything to do with eBay.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

In that case I would still get the signature option  If there is an issue not getting that option makes it easy to put all the blame on you.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

I received 2 parcels recently: one delivered by FedEx and the other by Intelcom. They did not ask for a signature. They just handed me the parcels (although I had to pay the taxes for FedEx - they now charge them at your doorstep). But the signature was all done by the driver.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

I had to pay the taxes for FedEx - they now charge them at your doorstep

Hmm.  Interesting.  I received a FedEx package from New York a few days ago and I wasn't charged at the door, and the commercial invoice had the "consignee" box checked off under "Duties and taxes payable by".

Gonna wait until I get an email or snail mail.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

FedEX is sneaky.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

I remember the post that you are referring to and he did say that if the seller purchased a label with a signature a claim would be treated as if a signature had been collected.  I don't know where to find that post but I think that it was asked and answered a couple of times during the pandemic.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Thanks for the info about the signature option possibly being good enough, even if not collected. I will look into that. 

Just a side note to people discussing Canada Post and signature confirmation. You don't need Xpress Post to get signature confirmation. If you use the Small Business Snap Ship website, you are given the option to add either signature confirmation, card for pickup, do not safe drop, or leave at door. You get these options even if you only ship with regular parcel. I do not think the standard outlets like the ones in Shoppers Drug Marts are able to offer these with regular/expedited. 

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Yeah well I just lost a case because buyer has new york NY as address and tracking shows delivered to Brooklyn....so might have to start getting signatures on everything
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@museumrarities wrote:
Yeah well I just lost a case because buyer has new york NY as address and tracking shows delivered to Brooklyn....so might have to start getting signatures on everything

It's probably not helping sellers that eBay Labels does not include options (where applicable) like Signature service, Oversized, COD or Shipping tube. Services that Snapship or Counter Service  add(where applicable).  Shippo includes Add Insurance, Signature options(Where applicable), Return Label and the slightly baffling Shipment Contains Alcohol. The last one I highly recommend never shipping by mail. 🙂

-Lotz

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@museumrarities wrote:

Keep in mind that the signature requirement doesn't replace the requirement that there has to be proof that the item reached the address provided by the buyer.  It's just an extra layer of security.  Somebody could sign for something that reached the wrong address.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

Remember the olden days.....Ummm like last year when signature required (at least with CP) meant showing photo ID to get your package? Wonder if this will be part of the new normal?

-Lotz

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

No because it didn't.

An (apparent) adult has to sign at the door. The idea being that if you answer the door that you belong there.

At the PO counter, yes, ID is required, because you could be anybody.

A few decades ago, one of our customers tried to get another dealer to refund on a properly delivered and signed for auction lot that had been mailed to him.

It was signed for by his MIL, whose dementia was such she should not have been alone in the house.  But she was an adult and she signed and---- who knows what happened after that? (And DH who had been to the house considered the customer to be a very well organized hoarder . He had already moved out of one house because it was full. So there was that.)

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

I have your answers and then some

1) No carriers are guaranteeing signatures at the moment

2) Canada Post Xpresspost USA you will get a signature from USPS, you will find it on the USPS website just use the CP tracking.

3) I contacted eBay a few months back to ask what is eBay doing to protect sellers when no carriers are guaranteeing signatures due to current worldwide events.  It took a good two hours but finally I was passed onto the 5th rep and I got an answer.  I have on record via chat from an eBay rep 'Jose' in Managed Payments he said "As long as you paid for signature required, we will be able to extend the appeal"  I asked 'What does exted the appeal mean" Jose replied "It means to qualify to seller protection" I continued on as long as you can show you paid for signature and the carrier fails to capture it, it's out of your control.  Keep an extra printed copy of your shipping labels that show signature.

Now this is a fact I'm almost a 10 year seller on eBay.   eBay reps will say something and another rep will say something else etc it's always been that way.  Never call eBay, use the 'Chat feature' because you get a transcript.  If you get into a jam and have enough contridicating information it will save your butt if you need to pick a battle on an expensive item.

As for Card for Pick I personally use that for all items over $500.  eBay's policy is you ship to the recievers address, card for pick doesn't change your shipping label.  ****ADD SIGNATURE WITH CARD FOR PICK UP**** currently I'm getting 80% of the signatures, a few months back it was 50/50.  Now signatures don't actually matter all that much because scribbles are not someones name read below what does matter.

The added bonuses with card for pick up is first off many buyers are not home so the parcel is not left on their front door step good honest buyers appreciate that their item is taken to a safe place.  If it goes missing from that place it's an easy insurance claim for you that won't require the reciever to cooperate.  Delivery times are actually faster in most cases.  It also greatly deters anyone thinking about pulling a some sort of scam.  ALL Canada Post pick up locations by law have video surveillance.  Someone would have to be a little bit offside to attempt mail fraud/theft on you when they are on camera picking up a parcel.

Another benefit is if someone that was planning a scam, won't pick up the item.  Worst case the item simply comes back to you, you gotta pay the return fee but your only out shipping both ways.  The buyer is not going to leave negative feedback because technically they refused it.  Just remember to politely remind them to pick up so eBay sees you tried.  I also recommend when you use Canada Post snap ship, put in the recievers email for 'status updates' this way they get a physical card for pick up and an electronic message they can use as well.

More than you asked for but I'm sure this will help you and the other honest sellers we have here on eBay!

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

You need to use Snap Ship for all the options and you don't get the same discount at an outlet.

Canada Post Xpresspost 'Certified' they will obtain signatures.  Certified is if you have a contract with CP.  

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Do not use eBay shipping.

Create your own free Canada Post Solutions for Small Business account.  Print your labels from there using 'Snap Ship'.  You can select signature (so you can prove you applied it when it was required) card for pick up, do not safe drop etc

If you select Signature and Card for Pick Up via Canada Post snap ship, there's a good chance you will get a signature and it's improving.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply