Why is ebay paying me $8.79 on a sale of $42.52

Ok, so this is my 3rd sale from the "managed payments" **bleep**. The first 2 i received the money 3-4 days later, which included the sale and shipping costs, which i then printed out the shipping label and sent the item out.

(before the money was in my paypal account immediately)

A few minutes ago i receive an email from ebay paying me $8.79...(which will take 3-4 days!) on a sale of $25.00 plus $17.52 to ship for a total of $42.52.

So why am i receiving "a payout" of $8.79 on this item and who can i contact on ebay so i can actually get my money owed?

Anyone else getting this BS from the managed payments??

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Why is ebay paying me $8.79 on a sale of $42.52

Well you need to start by looking at the Transaction Details in the Payments Tab to see the exact breakdown of fees.

There is no direct connection with your Payout and a particular sale unless it's the only sale you have since the last payout AND you have no active returns or INR claim or paid for a postage label or ???.

The details are all there in  the Hub, I'm not going to try to figure out the answer to your question since you didn't provide enough information.

Where was the buyer located?

Was any Sales Tax collected by eBay?

What Category was it listed in?

Do you have a Store?

Did you have any associated listing fees, listing upgrade fees, Subscription fees etc?

All of the above will affect the amount of fees you pay and/or the amount of your Payout.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

The buyer paid you $42.52.

You bought a shipping label through eBay for $17.52.

EBay charges you  Final Value Fees:

10% *on the price of the item- $2.50

And 10% on the shipping cost-$1.75

Managed Payments charges you:

30c non-refundable.

2.9% of the whole payment of $42.52 (if your customer is in Canada)=$1.23

If the customer is in the USA  you will be charged 30c plus 3.4% of the whole selling price or $1.57

and  if his state has sales tax you will also be charged 3.4% on the sales tax (but not the tax itself).

And because eBay is a Canada -registered company, you also pay GST for the payment processing service.

There is still a gap in there.

What did we leave out?

*Some categories have higher or lower FVF.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4364#section2

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The buyer paid you $42.52.

You bought a shipping label through eBay for $17.52.

EBay charges you  Final Value Fees:

10% *on the price of the item- $2.50

And 10% on the shipping cost-$1.75

Managed Payments charges you:

30c non-refundable.

2.9% of the whole payment of $42.52 (if your customer is in Canada)=$1.23

the 2.9 should be 2.35

Really the 10 + 2.35 should be combined to 12.35% because eBay does not breakdown FVF's like that,  they use a total of 12.35%

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Well, here are the details from the transaction, where i should be receiving $36.84.

So who can i contact on ebay? There are no links, nothing in the invoices.

Fees based on: C $42.52

Final Value Fee

-C $4.73
Variable percentage
Rate for C $0.00 - C $7,500.00
12.35%
Special Promotion
C $0.53
Item fee subtotal
-C $4.73

Quantity 1
Item fee total
-C $4.73
Final Value Fee
-C $0.30
-C $0.30
Per order fixed amount

Total fees
-C $5.03
VAT
-C $0.65
Total fees (VAT)
-C $5.68
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I'm not yet on MP but I understand you can look somewhere to see what all was in the deposit.

I'm wondering if your deposit happened after your store subscription was paid? I'm assuming any fees etc are deducted before the deposit and if the timing is right and the amount is right a store fee might come ouf of a pre-deposit amount before it is deposited....ONLY a guess others better educated can correct....

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

https://www.ebay.ca/sh/fin/transactions

Click on Transaction Details for the Payout you are wondering about.

The bottom section will display the items that went into the payment (it might not be just for one thing).

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Your item sold for $25.00 and the shipping charge was $17.52, and you are looking for a $36.84 payout?   I assume you are not using ebay shipping, so the shipping fee paid would be sent to you directly.   

To get hold of an agent I go to the Help and Contact tab at the top of the page, then look for a the closest description to what I need to speak to someone about - and it is not always a very good fit.   Either way, go to the very bottom of the page and there is a box for ebay to call you in a few minutes.  They are very good at calling in that time frame.  That will connect you to an agent.   

For your inquiry, I looked under Managed Payments and you can try this page and call back option at the very bottom of the page.  

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/getting-paid/introducing-managed-payments-ebay?id=4795&st=12&pos=1&...  

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Thank you byto253, and everyone else who replied.

I am still looking at all my transactions (remember this was only my 3rd managed payments)...

The first 2 went as i receive the full amount minus ebay fees, then use ebay's shipping which they then get their money from my account. So first 2 are all good, everything paid up to date.

(Also, i do not have a store)

But this 3rd sale, i receive only the $8.79 from the TOTAL sale including the shipping costs. They also took their $17 odd dollars from my account for the shipping (which is ok).

So for some reason unknown they did not pay me. So i am out around -8.70 and no longer have my item! lol

I will use that link and clear this up. I will try to post here what the issue is/was.

Thanks guys!

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

https://www.ebay.ca/sh/fin/transactions

Click on Transaction Details for the Payout you are wondering about.

The bottom section will display the items that went into the payment (it might not be just for one thing).

Thank you for the link! I looked just out of curiousity (I felt that my last few payout were roughly correct and didn't pay any mind to double check) and saw that I got charged a Gallery Plus fee out of all things! For one odd listing that's over a year old and I don't think I have ever been charged gallery plus for this listing. I just checked my Jan to March invoices too and indeed I wasn't charged any Gallery Plus fee back then! This listing is still running too, it's not one of my recent sold listings.

So now it has prompted me to check all my listings to make sure that box is unchecked. I'm not gonna waste my time with customers service over $1.31 but this is indeed annoying! It even says my balance is in the negative so I just paid this silly $1.31 with my credit card as I didn't want them to withdraw from my bank account. I didn't make a new bank account for MP as my sales is too low to make it worthwhile, but wow, what the heck? 

I might start a new thread to warn people 😑

brokensystem.jpg

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Ok, so i just got off the phone with ebay.  It's a complicated/convoluted mess and it only concerns my last 2 managed payment sales.

They paid me $8.79 from a sale because they also collected $28.05 from a previous shipping label days earlier. So they combined the items.  The kicker is they will also collect some $17 odd dollars from this last order.

So the delays in their charging me for labels (seems to take a few days before they even invoice me) and then 3-4 more day delays in banking make it very hard to follow. But the actual head scratcher here is their own way of invoicing me.

It looks like things are ok. Very complicated. This from 2 sales. I had 400-500 items selling pretty good

this past winter, i don't know if i want to do that again as the order of things get lost in their translation.

Basically i would have to trust them 100% on their billing cycle.

The ebay rep was not rude per say, but i guess i am not the only one calling him lol! Seemed impatient but it's of their own making.

They made us use Paypal and their shipping and it was wonderful. Money in account immediately that i use to ship labels, meaning a sale is complete and over in seconds.  The more they change and make these rules all the time makes things "not as fun" to sell here.  I left for a couple years for various reasons and i think i will either sell a limited amount here (and keep selling elsewhere).

So that was my issue, thanks for the help everyone and good luck with ebay! lol

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

There are a lot of people posting about Gallery Plus charges.

For most of them the reason is that because of recent Category changes some listings that were previously in Categories that offered no charge Gallery Plus and now in Categories where Gallery Plus is NOT Free.

There are similar issues with 14 vs 30 days returns, the few Categories that allowed 14 days returns for TRS and now requiring 30 days for TRS.

Check the Category changes included in the Spring Update to see if you are listing in the Cats that are involved in the changes.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I didn't see any recent posts about this, I assume the posts you were talking about are on .COM? I rarely check .COM board.

Almost all of my listings are in the Collectibles category so in theory I shouldn't have been charged at all. But I just turned off the Gallery Plus for all of my listings now just to save future headaches. The last thing I want to do on my days off is to call customers service. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

The announcement about category changes is not a separate announcement, it is part of the 2021 spring seller update.  Your listings still appear to be in the collectible category so I don't know why you would have been charged.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't know why you would have been charged.

It's probably just eBay being broken as usual ╮(╯∀╰)╭

Message 15 of 15
latest reply