Why is ebay taking over half what I sell my products for

slyh92
Community Member

I sell a product for 40.00 and after the sale ebay has charged me 21.00  how is this fair ?

They are making more money off me then I am making on the sale of the product .  and ebay charing me a percentage of what the shipping costs are !   , whats with this  its not fair at all , becasue in most  cases the shipping costs for what I sell  are more then what I am selling the product for .  

If ebay dosent stop over charging sellers no one will be selling here anymore , because no one can affrod it , then they will have buyers but no sellers .

51% is more then I am willing to pay and I am removing all my listing until Ebay lowers their fee's for sellers , I suggest other sellers to do the same .

I can see ebay charging me maybe 5 or 10 total in fees for an item that sells for 40.00  as 21.00 is over half what  I am selling the products for , there is no money in it for me any more .

And I supose there is no way I can contest these fees and get my money back is there ?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Why is ebay taking over half what I sell my products for

I totally agree with you, but Ebay doesnt care. And people are not going to boycott Ebay when they make their living here. But I feel the same way you do and I leave that feedback to Ebay in the surveys I fill out!

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Could you break down how you get the 51% figure.  Thanks

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I was trying to make a living off selling here but now I cant and I am sure other sellers are not happy with ebay taking so much

Last sale i made I didnt even make a profit , the item cost me 10 ebay takes 21.99  . that only leaves me with making $8 of every case of product I sell  and other costs left me with  $0  .

And if I raise my prices no one will be able to afford the product .

Other sellers will get sick of these unreasonable fees . and stop selling like I am doing .

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

The product sells for 40.00 and ebay charges me 21.99 in fees .

Whats there to break down ?

That makes it over 51% of what I sell the product for .

I can show you paypal records showing every sale I make ebay is taking  21.99 from me .

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@slyh92 wrote:

The product sells for 40.00 and ebay charges me 21.99 in fees .

The fees themselves.  What is it that you're getting charged for, exactly?  For example, it looks as though you may be using the "Subtitle" feature, which can cost from fifty cents to $1.50.  Are you using any other eBay features that may be unnecessary?

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

The total doesn't make sense.

The one item you had listed was $39 + $32.91 for shipping to Alberta

Since you don't have a store you would pay 10% on the total. $71.91 x 10% = $7.19

For you, Paypal probably charges 2.9% on the total . $71.91 x 2.9% = $2.08

$2.08 + $7.19 = $ 9.27

That's not even close to $21 so that's why you were asked for a breakdown.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

For you, Paypal probably charges 2.9% on the total . $71.91 x 2.9% = $2.08

Pssst, PJ, you forgot the flat fee of $0.30 from PayPal on every sale. 😉  With that said, I do agree that the fees don't make any sense, unless the seller put a reserve and other features....

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Those options can add up very fast, and most of them are useless.

Subtitles are not searchable.

Design templates cannot be seen until the listing is opened.(And there are many templates available free on the interwebs)

Reserve fees must be paid whether the item sells or not.

Reserves turn off many potential buyers. (Just start your listing at the lowest price you can comfortably accept.)

Free Shipping is useful, but many sellers do not understand that it really means "Shipping is included in the asking price" and end up giving away their items.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Ebay does not take 50% fees. Please provide the fees in a breakdown if you're certain. Math obviously doesn't add up, unless you're charging the customer massive shipping fees we don't know about. Please inform.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Do Private Auctions also attract an eBay fee?

Private Auctions (unless you are selling something really naughty) are also generally not a good idea, nor is private feedback.

And fwiw, don't buy and sell on the same ID. Now that you have decent FB as a buyer, make that your selling account and do your buying on another account. You will need another credit card, but you can use the same Paypal account.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Do Private Auctions also attract an eBay fee?

Just the usual fees, it isn't considered an upgrade.

I wish the OP would come back and explain as I'm really curious how they came up with those numbers.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

How is it possible 51%??  You must be doing wrong math!!

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Once upon  a time ago...

An elderly couple decide to start selling on eBay.

Things went well as the wife was doing all of the selling

Then came the question... Husband asked wife."How much did you have in sales last month?"

Wife Answered  "$163.25"

and then she hesitated  and said  "And it cost me "177.74 in fees..  Is not that good of me?"

Husband took one look at eBay's fees individually  for all items and realized she was added every option eBay offered for a listing.

The computer was sold  and no more internet for anyone in the family...

This actually happened....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I once added, by accident,  a $10 option to a $20 item listed at GTC... and that hurt... caught it in the third month!!!  and got the third month refunded

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Listing upgrades  at

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/fees.html

Adding every single upgrade to a listing  and the total for fees is close to $10

But I did learn that Listing Designer is free for Selling Manager Pro Subscribers....

and ... That Gallery Plus is free for certain categories...

But be careful what you do... the fees add up very quickly....

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Simply saying that eBay is charging 51% is not very helpful. I suspect you are adding in one heck of a lot of nonsense extras. My TOTAL fees, eBay and Paypal, run about 16% - 17%. Including my COGS and I am in at about 23% total. 51% is impossible without ticking every worthless option.

I am with the others. Please give us a breakdown of the fees.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

The OP took a Liberal  government sponsored class in Creative Accounting

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

I was going to sell a few more used items on eBay. Now I think I'll just throw them away. Everyone is angry at eBay about something.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Not me.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

I'm not angry either. The money I pull out is in direct relation to the work I put in.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply