Woo Hoo I've survived to ebay selling 25!!

25 years ago today I started selling here!

Given I've been selling for 46 years now, one must remember that ebay is simply a "branch" of the stamp "empire" but it is a significant one at that for me.

As with everything here and everywhere else for that matter for the last 25 (46) years, one must continue to evolve with the times to continue to survive!

I supposed 50 is possible given I'm still a "pup" stamp seller wise, to some at least, but time will tell!

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Woo Hoo I've survived to ebay selling 25!!

If you sell them assuming they aren't stuck together, take pictures of some of them out of the envelope, make sure to say in the title Original Dennison hinges those are the important words. They were the best ones ever made the traditionalists love them still....and will pay for them, nothing modern is as good as them....

Message 21 of 44
latest reply

Well done! Only 15 years selling here for me but it's starting to feel like 25!

Message 22 of 44
latest reply

I beat you by just one year, I reached 26 years on Dec. 2nd. I have slowed down a lot, but just keep pressing on. Many, many changed in those years.

Message 23 of 44
latest reply

Congrats Ric!

I hope you have many more years igniting collector passions. 

Message 24 of 44
latest reply

Thank you folks for the pro advice on the hinges!  The pack is nearly full and they look viable. I'll photo them on my glass table.   It's going to be fun going thru the albums. (6 decades in storage). The stamps likely have little value. I was pretty amatuer. 

The books and paraphernalia may bring some interest. In the 60s I found the stamps I ordered from various US vendors rarely fit into my stamp albums I bought from local western Canadian dealers. The RS Mason Test book appears ot be a 1st edition august 1951.

Afer a few years of trying to fit them into these books I gave up. I sorted them by country and put them on hinges into blank notebooks.  Fortunately, and by accident I'll add, the notebooks appear to have been made of acid free paper. Along with the collection are some 1960s magazine  articles. You can see one in the photo from "Weekend Magazine 1966. 

I'm not really sure on where to go from here. 

1.JPG2.JPG

DSCN4818.JPG

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

Boy did we get derailed fast!

DH used to call that a "nephew collection" meaning a collection best passed to a youngster (nowadays more likely a girl) along with a magnifying glass,a pair of tongs (not tweezers) and a stockbook.

Saying that you enjoyed it when you  were their age and identifying how old some of the stamps are (Look that's the King's grandfather!).  Any Newfoundland in there? Does the kid know that you were around when NL joined Confederation? And that a lot of Newfies would have preferred joining the USA?

See @ricarmic  you started up more interest in philately.  Best wishes for the next 25 years.

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

@intimewithmusic See PM for suggestions.

Message 27 of 44
latest reply

Ha ha..  Aww shucks @reallynicestamps .. At my age I'm glad to be anyone's nephew. @ricarmic gave me some useful advice that didn't involve lighter fluid. I'll let you know if I have any Newfoundland. Maybe I have the King's grandfather's exiled mistress.. or would she be on an Australian stamp?

I'm going to enjoy revisting the collection and try and find a treasure or two. Is there a Google lens for stamps? The cool thing about selling stamps is you can stick the new ones on the outside of the envelope to include free shipping...

Right? 

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@38e_avenue wrote:

Congrats! I am close to 25, too. I got something like this from Ebay a few ears ago. 

@38e_avenue 

Is it still possible to even qualify as a "Power Seller"? Didn't that poof shortly after your 19 year award?

Yes, exactly, the PowerSeller program was discontinued shortly after and replaced by TRS. We had a very usuful PowerSeller discussion board on US Ebay. For unknown reason, it has been resolved and replaced by some kind of "Experienced Sellers Board", by invitation only. I left the group qickly, because it was completely useless and unbearable, full of weird sellers with inflated egos.  

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

Hmm I don't ever remember being invited to anything, must not be "big" enough to count!

The days of THX for your tenure in eBayland are also behind us, nary a word from anyone/thing in ebayland, one would have maybe thought 25 years would at least garner an email congrats!

Good thing I've got peers here to help me "celebrate!" 😄

Message 30 of 44
latest reply

@ricarmic 

Best we can do is give you a hearty Congrats and one of those official thumbs up. Collect 1 Million of them and you qualify for a 5 dollar off voucher for any purchase over 1000.oo. Expires yesterday. Ooopsie, nm..back to reality. Best thank you I got was  2 eBay TY stickers at Xmas a 5 years ago. I was almost overwelmed!!!

Maybe someone should throw a suggestion in the fancy eBay suggestion box for holiday pay for sellers who survive 5 years and longer!!!

-Lotz

Message 31 of 44
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Congrats on the big 2-5 @ricarmic . The first 25 are the hardest. After that, it's all gravy!!! Just think when ya find your niche!!! 😄

Having hit the 25 year eBay mark in January I would say that the first 25 was the easiest!, I've had the slowest first three months of the year EVER and it pretty much started on exactly the anniversary date (1999/01/22)....

Why is eBay punishing me so? Why does eBay hate me? It's so unfair!I may be forced to burn all the eBay swag that they sent me back in the good old days.

I bet eBay will be dead soon (first heard on May 24 2004 when I came to these boards).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 32 of 44
latest reply

Congratulations on your milestone!!

May all your philatelic endeavours be free from evolutionary worries and non payers 😉

Message 33 of 44
latest reply

ebay 2000.jpg

Anyone remember these, alomst 1/4 of a century...

Message 34 of 44
latest reply

Every new gripe has been griped before!

recped_0-1711431311998.png

Even with that increase in 2000 USPS was still dirt cheap.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 35 of 44
latest reply

I was waiting for a few of these comments, keep looking, whats old is new again, lol

Message 36 of 44
latest reply

Many days I wake up wishing I was new again!!! 😉😉

Message 37 of 44
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

ebay 2000.jpg

Anyone remember these, alomst 1/4 of a century...

@brettjet38 

I've been on eBay just a little over 20 years. First time I heard they were even a thing. Strangely there are copies available/sold on eBay. Find them between issues The New Yorker and Town in Country under solds.... but not valuable enough to get excited.  Were they one of the first "things" under options and perks eBay suddenly discontinued? Hope when the aliens do finally arrive that is not the first thing they see!!! 👽🛍😕

Message 38 of 44
latest reply

And this was the way we used the site until 2002 and I do remember using this, LOL

OH and this is a great site go look...

https://www.webdesignmuseum.org/gallery/ebay-in-1999

ebay-1999.png

Message 39 of 44
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

And this was the way we used the site until 2002 and I do remember using this, LOL

OH and this is a great site go look...

https://www.webdesignmuseum.org/gallery/ebay-in-1999

ebay-1999.png

😱Are you suggesting what we have now is a downgrade? At least back then they attempted to welcome new users!!

Message 40 of 44
latest reply