Worst weekend ever for sales.

I only sold 3 CD's over the weekend, 1 to Denmark, 1 to the UK and 1 to Germany.  I guess all the US and Canadian buyers were out trick or treating.    Normally I have 7 to 12 sales over the weekend and maybe only one would be international.  

How did you fare?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Over seventeen years selling on eBay. Over 106,000 transactions. 

So far sales are more or less even (~14%) for each day of the week.  On the long term average, there is no noticeable increase or decrease on weekends or holidays in the number or value of daily transactions.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

No sale days.....

For me

A few years back  it was about 35 no-sale days each year.... one no-sale day every 10 days for 12 months.. three  no-sale days per month

In 2015... after 10 months there have been 57 no-sale days....

But sales have been good....Why?  Because I have been working my inventory... Adding new categories....complementary to my major category of inventory ...... with good sales in those new categories..

and... deleting dead inventory... constantly

One has to constantly work and rework one's inventory.

The best run for sales  was back in the spring of 2009....  42 days of sales every day...... and that was followed by 4 days of no-sales..

Patterns of sales happen... nothing is perfect... 

The craziest sequence of no sale days.....was ...

No sales on Monday and Tuesday.... One low value sale on Wednesday, followed by no sales on Thursday and Friday.

Fretting over no-sale days does not work....

Adding new inventory... adding new categories of inventory... complementary to your primary category  will work.....

New inventory provides a good source of sales.....  and then the old inventory wakes up and buyers buy......... with good sales  at a good value. 

and then everything happens..... 

This past weekend was one of my best in the past two months....  The last 7 days have been very, very good...  and with all of this  there were no sales on October 29 and 30!

No sale days give me time to rest, relax and list more inventory on eBay....

September and October have been  very good...

Lots of new inventory

Lots of new listings.

and...this .... in spite of the fact that Turbolister died for me..... and I now list using Auctiva....

and  ... Auctiva is so much more easy to use....  and with lots of new options to list on eBay...

There will always be no sale days... look at the reality of 365 days... not two no-sale days on one weekend....

and here is the math

If one averages 2 sales a day for 365 days..... and one has 10 sales in one day.....  There WILL be no-sale days...

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

OP..

Ask yourself

What inventory can I find  that would complement my selling of CDs

Music books??   Books about the singers...  the musicians....  all related to the CD's you sell.

They come to buy a music book or a book and they buy a CD...

What can you do to create more sales?...

Start slow... carefully .....and add a new reality for your buyers.....  complementary to what you  are already selling...

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

It was an average weekend for sales for me although I did have more U.S. buyers than Canadians and that's a change from the past couple of months. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I find that on eBay it's feast or famine and there is no explanation for the fluctuations that I can see.

I have noticed one pattern though.  In the morning between about 6:30 and 8:30 I have more sales than at other times of the day.

I picture my buyers sitting with their morning coffee after they wake up and before they have to get to work to do a little shopping.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:
I find that on eBay it's feast or famine and there is no explanation for the fluctuations that I can see.

I agree.  What happens this year or this month is completely different than last year or last month.  Back to school September sales are terrific one year and crickets the next.

After a slow summer in 2014, I had the best October in my 9 years of selling (on both selling accounts) ... about 55 items which is a lot for me.  This October, after another slow summer, my sales were the lowest ever ... again on both selling accounts (a total of 10).

Just when you think that you should start selling a different product altogether, sales pick up.

Like cumos said, I'm always looking to add relevant items, and I'm consistently reviewing titles, pictures and descriptions to make sure they are attractive, descriptive and competitively priced.

It's discouraging, I know, but that`s the sales game.  Plus it doesn`t help when there are major glitches.  Was it Saturday night (or Friday?), that both eBay and PayPal were non-functional.  Sellers couldn't list and, more importantly, buyers couldn't purchase.  It wreaked havoc on sellers who had hundreds of auctions ending in that 2 to 3 hour period.

Anyway, musicyouneed, keep your chin up!  And I'll keep both of mine up Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I should have added that eBay is so slow today, it's actually painful.

I have three browsers open, jumping back and forth from one to another, and it's taking about 30 minutes to relist each item.  The bulk editor isn't working with "system error" messages.  Honestly, in the last two hours, I've managed to relist 4 items.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

I should have added that eBay is so slow today, it's actually painful.

I have three browsers open, jumping back and forth from one to another, and it's taking about 30 minutes to relist each item.  The bulk editor isn't working with "system error" messages.  Honestly, in the last two hours, I've managed to relist 4 items.

That's another thing that has been extremely annoying -- actually on and off for a few months now.  I find eBay excruciating slow, jerky, unresponsive and really quite infuriating to try to work with at times.  

This has led to me to wonder whether buyers are getting fed up too.   Honestly, there are so many other online buying sites that scroll quickly and smoothly, provide better (and faster) search results, and quicker access as one clicks through to other pages.  

I really can't account for the unprecedented "dead zone" I'm currently in.  The summer was unusually slow, then in September I saw a sudden rush of sales.  Since then there has been virtually no activity (which is extremely odd for me, since the autumn has for years been my busiest season).  

I know I'm a very small store in comparison to some, but what is frustrating is that I'm listing more than twice the number of items as last year, new types of items as well, yet selling a quarter of what was the norm a year ago.  If maintaining 100% FB, no defects, TRS (US & Global), offering free shipping, running discount sales, and listing more items and variety than ever isn't doing the trick, then I'm out of ideas....Woman Frustrated

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

"actually on and off for a few months now.  I find eBay excruciating slow, jerky, unresponsive and really quite infuriating to try to work with at times.  "

Somehow, I do not have any of those problems.  Could the slowness be location related?  Have you checked with your internet provider?

Anyone else experiencing the same problems?

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

That's another thing that has been extremely annoying -- actually on and off for a few months now.  I find eBay excruciating slow, jerky, unresponsive and really quite infuriating to try to work with at times.  

Ditto.

I thought it was time to buy a new computer but maybe it's the site.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Somehow, I do not have any of those problems.  Could the slowness be location related?  Have you checked with your internet provider?

I doubt it's location-related.  I'm semi-rural, but certainly not in a remote area.  There is excellent high-speed internet service here, and I have none of these frustrating problems on other sites anyway.  I've experimented with three different browsers.  The issues don't change, but of them all, the problems are worst with IE.  

I should add that it's not the same level of dysfunction on eBay every single day, nor is it always exactly the same problem.  Occasionally there's a good run of a few days or a couple of weeks where things seem to work as they should.  However there are also frequent "clumps" of days where extreme slowness and jerky function is a big issue, especially in trying to work with Selling Manager.  Perhaps there's a lot of backroom work going on with SM at the moment in eBay's attempt to replace it with the new Hub come February. 

My laptop is less than a year old, so I don't think I can blame the slow functioning on an antiquated computer.  I can only conclude the problem is within eBay itself.  There are days lately that it's been so bad I've just thrown my hands up and given up trying to work with my listings.  

When I have time to go and get a snack and a fresh cup of tea, come back to my computer and find the page I'm attempting to work on still hasn't settled, there are some real problems.  As I said, I have no such issues on any other site.  

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

"I can only conclude the problem is within eBay itself."

Frankly that conclusion is the problem

If it were correct everyone without exception would have those slowness problems.  I definitely do not (I use desktop).

If it is not your computer or your operating system, the problem of slowness to specific sites can often be identified to the internet provider routers.  Next time it happens, once you identify eBay is slow and other sites work fine (including your internet provider website) you should contact your provider and have them take a look at the problem.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

If it were correct everyone without exception would have those slowness problems.  I definitely do not (I use desktop).

Are you using Selling Manager, or SM Pro?  What OS is your desktop computer running?  

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Yesterday Turbolister was down for much of the afternoon/evening, there was a problem with it communicating to eBay. It was an actual problem, don't know what they did to fix it but just another of the problems it seems these days....
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

I doubt it's location-related.  I'm semi-rural, but certainly not in a remote area.  There is excellent high-speed internet service here, and I have none of these frustrating problems on other sites anyway.  I've experimented with three different browsers.  The issues don't change, but of them all, the problems are worst with IE.  

I should add that it's not the same level of dysfunction on eBay every single day, nor is it always exactly the same problem.  Occasionally there's a good run of a few days or a couple of weeks where things seem to work as they should.  However there are also frequent "clumps" of days where extreme slowness and jerky function is a big issue, especially in trying to work with Selling Manager.  Perhaps there's a lot of backroom work going on with SM at the moment in eBay's attempt to replace it with the new Hub come February. 

My laptop is less than a year old, so I don't think I can blame the slow functioning on an antiquated computer.  I can only conclude the problem is within eBay itself.  There are days lately that it's been so bad I've just thrown my hands up and given up trying to work with my listings.  

When I have time to go and get a snack and a fresh cup of tea, come back to my computer and find the page I'm attempting to work on still hasn't settled, there are some real problems.  As I said, I have no such issues on any other site.  

rose-dee, you've summed up very nicely the issues I too am experiencing and the frequency with which they occur.  I use a desktop, laptop and iPad, all of which are fairly new and which I ensure are always up to date.  I don't travel to strange sites Smiley Happynor do I download from sketchy or potentially harmfurl websites.

I would never contact my internet provider, MTS Allstream, as Pierre suggests, because I know the first question they would ask is -- are you having issues with any other website -- which I am not.

Sellers across this country have complained about these types of issues and these individuals are using countless different providers so, like you, I am of the belief that it's an eBay website problem. 

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

I agree, there have been a ton of people saying that they have been problems with various ebay programs and/or the site in general. But it is bizarre that not everyone experiences the same thing as I haven't had any site problems at all. However, I don't do brand new listings on ebay as I use Auctiva so obviously I wouldn't have problems with the syi form in that sense.  But I do relist and use sell similar on this site and haven't experienced any problems that some others are mentioning.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply