%age of Sellers Who Have Switched to Managed Payments

Has anyone seen statistics regarding the percentage of sellers who have switched to Managed Payments?  Over the last few months, I've noticed that sellers have received a variety of dates by which they need to make the switch.

And to anyone who has not made the switch by the deadline date, did you have any problem cancelling all your listings?  Or were they cancelled by eBay?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

I doubt that there are any statistics available for us to see.

So far I haven't heard of eBay ending listings if a seller isn't registered when they are supposed to be but then the seller isn't able to edit current listings are start new ones.  That doesn't necessarily happen right after the deadline date though. 

There doesn't seem to be one way thing are happening. I've also read about US sellers whose money is being held in MP because those listings show they are in MP.  I'm not clear if those sellers have refused to sign or if they started but didn't complete the process or ??

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Thank pj.  This is not simply a matter of my being stubborn (well, partially), but there is so much going on in my life right now, with family and health, that I simply can't add Managed Payments to the mix.  So I'll play it by ear and see what happens.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

Has anyone seen statistics regarding the percentage of sellers who have switched to Managed Payments?  Over the last few months, I've noticed that sellers have received a variety of dates by which they need to make the switch.

And to anyone who has not made the switch by the deadline date, did you have any problem cancelling all your listings?  Or were they cancelled by eBay?

Thanks.

340,000 is the highest count I can currently locate dated Oct 29, 2020. There was a similar link floating about with a meter but unable to locate. It may be hiding somewhere on the dark web.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2020/10/29/ebay-adds-hundreds-of-thousands-of-sellers-to-managed-paym...

-Lotz

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Some interesting ... and funny ... comments in that issue.  I do get that newsletter, but I don't remember reading that.  But I've learned that for every negative response or seller who says they're going to quit eBay, there are probably a 100,000 who won't  I really don't know what I'm going to do.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

There will be some numbers released on the 28th when eBay issues their Q1 financials. It won't likely breakout specific numbers for Canada, just a worldwide number.

In the last release (2020 - Q4) it states "1 Million+ migrated", given they have really cranked up the migrations over the past couple of months that number may be double for Q1-2021.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

Some interesting ... and funny ... comments in that issue.  I do get that newsletter, but I don't remember reading that.  But I've learned that for every negative response or seller who says they're going to quit eBay, there are probably a 100,000 who won't  I really don't know what I'm going to do.

Yes, definitely a good place as a resource for information. I truthfully can't say that keeping a running visible number is a good or bad thing. In some circles it might be considered good advertising and in others, bad.  I've yet to see a discussion where the majority of folks were saying it's(MP) the greatest thing since sliced bread. For some it may be, others, It is what it is, others it could be too much work to switch 1000's of listings  over to a different site and lastly "just taking the plunge". (I could use my own meter for the number of times sellers have shared the plunge statement.) Cut and dried either you do or you don't and live with the consequences. Like some of the horror stories we've been reading where everything possible that could go wrong, did go wrong. All could have been much better addressed if sellers had ALL the info with questions answered before needing to sign up vs after the fact. Many of those questions, still haven't been answered. Hmmm, almost 3 years later?

-Lotz

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

I signed up for MP last Thursday, care to guess what has happened to my funds? 

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Oh-Oh!

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

My "deadline" is April 29. I haven't signed up yet. Strangely, I didn't sell a single thing since I got that email. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

I know I'll try to pass that date just to see what happens.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

April 29th deadline for self also and I highly doubt that I'll continue listing beyond that date,

as I  will be focusing my time & efforts on my other selling venue...

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@jt-libra wrote:

I don't know if that figure could be expressed as a percentage, at least not accurately.  It would be impossible for a computer program to tell the difference between a seller on hiatus and one who's completely dropped out, for starters.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

That's true.   I thought perhaps eBay would throw out a number, whether accurate or not, in order to light a fire under the rest of us.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

All could have been much better addressed if sellers had ALL the info with questions answered before needing to sign up vs after the fact. Many of those questions, still haven't been answered. Hmmm, almost 3 years later?

This is the biggest question in my mind.

Why, if you are determined to follow a path, not let the users know all the ins and outs?

There will still be complaints, but here and there suggestions about problems that never occurred to the designers.

Neither eBay nor Paypal reportedly wanted to continue in business together, so that was not going to happen.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

That's true.   I thought perhaps eBay would throw out a number, whether accurate or not, in order to light a fire under the rest of us.

I don't think "peer pressure" is really what should be influencing sellers to make the switch to Managed Payments.  I'm still surprised when I see posts from sellers who feel they're being forced by eBay to switch to Managed Payments when these sellers believe they have a perfectly servicable payment faciliator already in place for their sales and they should somehow be able to keep that payment facilitator while eBay moves on and dismantles most of its connections to PayPal.  

Wow, that was a mouthful.  Apologies.  What I should have said in fewer words was that what should be influencing sellers to make the move to Managed Payments is the fact that PayPal simply won't work on the site in the future in the way that sellers have grown accustomed.

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Received this today and I'm unsure of the future with them. This seems to be leading into a tax grab for Justin.

>>> You have missed the deadline to register for managed payments and effective today your ability to create new listings will be disabled. To re enable your listing capabilities complete the registration. If you do not register by May 20 your ability to revise and relist items will also be disabled <<<

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

????? There is no connection between MP, eBay & "Justin", so have no clue regarding your opening statement...

eBay's message is loud & clear/plain & simple=Sellers either sign up for MP or will not be allowed to continue to sell on eBay

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

My MP deadline for my selling account was April 19 and today April 20 then sent an email saying they disabled new listings and I have to register for MP.

I was prepared for this. I have a free checking online bank account and registration was smooth. Whether I get paid smoothly in the future is another matter!

Weeks ago I had verified my name and address on my eBay accounts and the bank account to make sure they were the same.

The adventure begins!
Message 19 of 35
latest reply

I'm happy that you are happy with proceeding with MP and continuing on with eBay. My adventure with eBay will be ending and further adventures elsewhere will become the new chapter in my online selling...I too prepared for my future online selling endeavours = 2-1/2 years ago I prepared for the inevitable MP and I am ready to make my exit from eBay and continue my selling elsewhere...

Message 20 of 35
latest reply