custom form to USA

land1435
Community Member

Hello all,

i am planning to start selling through ebay now and need to understand how custom form works.

say, if i ship 2 dvd items in one package & write as '$10' in custom form as value and say i sell this for $25 to buyer, what exactly should i write in custom form when shipping as small packet from Canada to USA?

what explanation i should give & ideally how much import tax i pay? can someone pls explain this?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

custom form to USA

If you sell it for $25USD, you mark the equivalent amount in the box that says $CAD (~1.39x).

You don't pay import tax, the importer does (buyer).  Don't worry about costing your buyer extra, US citizens can import up to $800 duty free.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

Oops. Move along, nothing to see here. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

thanks for your instant response.

So, what exactly am I supposed to write in form and where? 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

If you use Paypal shipping labels all that will be filled in for you.

If you are using postage stamps and the stick on label the PO gives you the places to fill in are pretty obvious.

One newish introduction is the Harmonized System for identifying goods.

For DVD that number is 852340.

Just write it anywhere it will fit, on the label or on the package.

Most customs officers are literate.

It's really not rocket surgery.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

If you have a Canada Post Solution for Small business account you can go into the Canada Post site and do a mock-up shipment for the USA using the item's details, dimensions & weight, etc follow through until you get to the part for filling in the customs info and you can see exactly what needs to be filled in...

Be sure that whenever you are doing up a label for shipping outside Canada that you mark the reason for item's export as "sale of goods" or similar...

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

@land1435 

You can either use the tool at the canadapost website for generating the customs form or the clerk can print for you when you drop off package. 

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/cdc?execution=e1s1

-Lotz

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

sorry again. 

Attached is what Canada post asking me to fill in.

can someone pls let me know exactly what i need to fill in say, I sold a Used DVD item for CAD-15.

I have already filled in '15' in Declared value column. 

Then, what exactly i need to say that I ve sold this item to someone  ?

Also, should we attach any paypal transaction proof to tell them this is the amount we are selling it for? 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

@land1435 wrote:

... should we attach any paypal transaction proof to tell them this is the amount we are selling it for? 

That label is all that is required. No additional sales proof required.

For example:

used dvd - (country of manufacture) - value

Other documentation line: print Sale or Sale of goods

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

There’s an example of a filled-out Canadian CN-22 here:

https://knit-a-square.com/how-to-post-your-squares/

The difference for you is that the item would not be a “gift” (leaving all those boxes unchecked will be enough indication that the package contains merchandise ) or a commercial sample, and would have a declared value.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

a commercial sample is generally defined as sample merchandise = NO value so in case of a claim with PO, there'd be no value to be claimed.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

thank you.
Now, i have Ticked 'Other Documentation' & written 'Sale of Goods' and put exactly sale value as i received in paypal. Then, I presume no need to attach any print out /proof of that transaction if that value is $10 to $75? Or it is mandatory that I need to attach paypal proof if i am declaring 'Sale of Goods'? If so, where to attach exactly? Pls note i do all these manually and i do not use ebay Shippo or whatever.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

For the value don’t use the PayPal amount as that may include shipping and taxes. Use the amount that you sold it for on eBay.   I always include a packing slip inside if the package do that the buyer know who the order is from but that is not mandatory.   

You really should get a free online small business number so that you can use online shipping sites.  It’s not only convenient it can be less expensive.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

Here's the Small Business Solutions link:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page?

As pjcdn says, it's free to sign up and you get some discounts on some services.

Including the "business only" Expedited service.

The past couple of Octobers that has included free parcel shipments.

You don't have to be a formally registered business. Canada Post doesn't care if you are shipping dozens of packages daily or just a birthday present to you favourite niece in Fort George once a year. 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

The form is the only thing required for low cost sales.

If going to the USA the value has to be above $800us before customs starts wanting additional documentation.

-..-

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

custom form to USA

Thank you. Very clear now. 

Message 16 of 16
latest reply