downside to part refund if buyer hasn't opened a case

A buyer had a problem with a purchase,

he asked for a partial refund to settle.

I don't agree there was a problem with it, but 

the amount is about half the shipping cost I paid.

So the part refund is much better than a return from a SNAD claim.

But... he hasn't opened a case in either ebay or paypal.

I'm getting the feeling he doesn't want to.

Is there downside to issuing a part refund if he hasn't opened a case?

I'm thinking if he opened a case requesting the part refund,

then I agree, it is then final.

Should I ask him to put his request in a case in the ebay dispute resolution? or no?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

There shouldn't be a problem.

I have given partial refunds on occasion without an issue.

Check the buyers feedback to make sure you are dealing with a straight shooter.

When you refund via PayPal through the specific item in question leave a note in the comments section, "Partial Refund as requested".

If there's a problem you have the message saying the buyer requested a partial refund and the PayPal transaction details.  

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

It’s a valid question. I’m of two minds on it.

On the one hand, a partial refund is quick. Easy and over.

On the other, eBay tracks cases and asking the buyer to officially open one puts them on the radar for that as a modus operandi.

I have to think that if the buyer was a chronic abuser of partial refund requests, the only way eBay would note it is if every partial refund from followed a case.

By circumventing the process of opening a case, a buyer can fly under the radar for awhile which isn’t good for anyone here.

But skipping the case makes things easier for you too. So.....?
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

The bottom line is the buyer being reasonable or not....

Is the buyers request for a partial refund valid.

If the request is unreasonable then ask the buyer to return the item and open a INAD claim through eBay.   

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Another thing to consider is if the buyer knows the way to open etc a case.

I know in my world I have had buyers that have very marginal understanding of how the process works and reach out the only way they know how.

Same as silver, I've partially refunded directly via paypal a number of times with no official case and no negative repercussions to date. (But I am in the "safer" stamp world)
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

In a situation such as this I always request that the buyer open a case via eBay.

You have nothing to lose if the buyer opens the case and there's a chance that the buyer won't do so.

That is, if there really is something wonky going on then the buyer might be intimidated by the formal process and opt not to pursue the matter.

If it's a legit request it's more likely that the buyer will opt to open a case.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

I personally prefer to settle 'out of court', but like ricarmic, I am in low fraud categories.

Just a note, when we say 'check the buyer's feedback' what we mean is his FB Left for Others.

Look for notes like 'thanks for settling this' , 'works well to solve problems', 'corrected error with refund', thanks for partial refund', etc. Indications that he asks for partials on a regular basis.

And then decide if Homie gonna play that game.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @heartovermind - you've been given some great information here already, but I just want to chime in and say that if you do issue a partial without a formal return/request opened on eBay to make sure that you're issuing a refund via the original PayPal transaction (ie: do not do a 'send money'). 

That way if you request a partial credit of your Final Value Fees with CS they can see that you did indeed issue a partial (they have no way of seeing a proactive transfer, just actions taken with an eBay purchase). 

This also helps prevent double dipping that can occur if you 'send money' and the buyer then opens a claim with us. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Buyer refused my polite prodding to begin a request for  part refund
in either ebay or paypal.

Said paypal doesn't do part refunds if the pmt was funded with
a c.c.

Said ebay resolution ctr is only for full refunds,

Buyer insisted I send him through "send money".

I said wasn't comfortable with that.

Now he files a return request. 

1) if I choose option "offer a part refund" instead of
accept the return, if buyer refuses, will ebay let him keep the item?

2) if I choose accept the return, do I pay for shipping only first?
how do I do that?

don't I wait for item to be returned before refund?

I think I was scammed here folks. Glad I didn't "send money".

Kick in the pants: buyer buys but has sold 100s of items. 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Will you sell the item wIth ease if it’s returned? What kind of postage losses are we talking about?

My gut tells me to accept the return request and get your item at least back. I suspect there’s nothing wrong with it and your buyer was angling for a steal of a deal with the emphasis on steal.

Yes, this puts you out Return postage with tracking, the tracking part is imperative or he doesn’t have to send it back at all and you’ve forgone the requirement to see tracking that says Delivered before you’re obligated to refund.

I think the buyer thinks you don’t want to bother to do that and he’ll get his better deal via partial refund one way or another.
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Also: you only pay Return postage if it’s being filed as a Return for Not As Described (NAD) or your Remorse returns are also free returns which very few of us offer.

What reason did the buyer use as per the Return request?

And, yes, if it’s a return paid by seller, send them either the label or funds via PayPal service to buy label. Then refund in full ( price plus original postage) for NAD or price only for Remorse only when it is Delivered and you can vouch it’s intact.
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Is the buyer located in Canada or the USA? You can print those Return labels straight through Shippo.
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

buyer is in the US.

I did not use shippo for the sending label...

I am wondering if I am able to purchase a return label only

I've never had a return... if I click accept the return will ebay,CA give me the option of a return label sent to them from ebay?  or does it require me to upload a label? then i'd better have the pdf label ready

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

postage is about $50 Cdn

will resell item at least double that, but more impt, I dont want the buyer to keep it/resell, at some point you cant let him get away with it.  you can't give in to a scammer on an item over $100

he claims  one part of the item does not work properly... it was checked before it left.   he says he can fix it for about $30 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Is this a unique piece? It’s not possible your buyer also had his own to sell. Is the ‘required $30 fix’ something that can be demonstrated with a photo? What you’ve told us solidifies the reasons I am fairly certain I’d want the item that I sent him back if it were me.

I’d accept the Return, and send a Return label. You aren’t required to do it within seconds of accepting the return request and I’m pretty sure (although not positive) you can still find a way to print a Return label through finding the transaction in your Shippo log. I haven’t had to do it myself but I saw it being done during a Shippo webinar offered by eBay that I did.
Message 15 of 24
latest reply

The immediate return label only works for USA to USA transactions on eBay.com, I thought I read.

If the Shippo Return label won’t work, you may also research the exact USA to Canada shipping cost via USPS and use PayPal to Send Money for that amount to the buyer. Send Money for a Service though, not as a gift. That way, using money sent for a service, I’m led to believe you have recourse through PayPal if the buyer were to pocket the money instead of purchasing a label to return. With money sent as a gift, you’d have no such recourse.
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
Send Money for a Service though, not as a gift.

Money for a service is not refundable on PayPal (I was scammed once, so I remember quite well). You have to choose "Money for goods".

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

OoOoOoOoOoH, I did not know there was a difference. Thank you for noting that.
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

So your buyer is either trying to actively scam you or is oblivious to how PayPal works.

If you do a partial refund and he paid by CC, in the e-mail that PayPal issues regarding the refund, they clearly state the refund goes back on whatever source the funds came from. 

I know this from personal cases where I have had partial refunds when I paid with CC.

So that part is plain wrong.

On the eBay returns side of things, eBay gives you a chance to offer customer a one time partial refund to keep item, but customer can refuse this. So, if he opens a case, you can offer him $30 that he needs to fix it. If he refuses, then you can request he return the item for a full refund. If you can't send a label, double check with eBay (Perhaps tyler@ebay can verify) you can if I recall manually send funds via PayPal so buyer can purchase postage. 

I know in the past when I have bought items from US sellers there is an option for the seller to say they cannot print a label, but I'm unsure how eBay would proceed after that.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

I've read on one of the forums that
if responding to the Return request,
I check the button that says offer a part refund,
then if the buyer says no, ebay
immediately decides he can keep the item,
he is refunded all. Not the outcome we want.

I saw a video made by a high volume seller
telling to check the button to accept the return,
but offer the part refund in the text with that.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply