eBay Managed Payments Sucks the Purpose Out of Selling by Taking 70%

On April 6, 2021, I received an eBay notice that if I don't sign on to eBay Managed Payments by April
29th, "your ability to create new listings, as well as revising and relisting your items will be disabled."

In this same message eBay states that by signing on to Managing Payments "Most sellers will pay the same or less than before". I just put that to the test on a $10.00 sale:

According to eBay, Final Value Fees will change to a single bundled fee of 12.35%
(Note: this is the variable percentage for non-Store sellers in most categories. There’s an added  .30 cents processing fee per order.)

EXAMPLE 1:

Existing eBay/PayPal model before "Managed Payments":
An item sold on eBay for $10.00 with a very realistic $15.00 shipping across Ontario (can be higher for other provinces). The Buyer pays a total $25.00.

eBay Final Value Fees on Item:  $1.00 + $0.13 = $1.13
eBay Final Value Fees on Shipping: $1.50 + $0.20 = $1.70
Total eBay fees = $2.83

PayPal fees on $25.00 if the buyer is Canadian = $1.03
($.30 processing + $0.73 on $25.00 @ 2.9%)

Total combined eBay / PayPal fees ($2.83 + $1.03) come to $3.86

After fees and shipping on a $10.00 sale, the Seller takes home $6.14

EXAMPLE 2:

eBay's NEW Managed Payments model:
$25.00 combined total ($10.00 item + $15.00 shipping)

Fees* on $25.00 are as follows:
3.25 HST (13% if in Ontario) = $28.25
3.49 eBay Final Value Fee ($28.25 + 12.35%)
0.30 eBay Processing Fee per order.
= $7.04 fees paid to eBay through Managed Payments

* eBay will charge an added 0.04% to sellers who are NOT power sellers.

So, after fees and shipping on a $10.00 sale are deducted, the Seller takes home $2.96
The Seller will have paid eBay Canada approx. 70% in sales.

• eBay's Managed Payments is a 2-step process that may take up to 5 business days (1 week) before the funds are physically deposited to the Seller's bank account. Compared with PayPal, if I transfer funds from PayPal to my bank, the funds are deposited the next business day.
Phase 1 of eBay's the payout can take up 2 days. Phase 2 may take another 1-3 days.
Technical issues can screw up a transfer of funds (buyer end, eBay end, or Seller end). How will eBay protect the Seller if someone claims they didn't make the purchase or purchased in error, and the item is already shipped? To maintain "Top Seller" status items must ship within 24 hours. Many will be losing that status. Who wants to take the loss of an item shipped before the funds are deposited? I don't earn enough income to pay out of pocket for casual losses. Remember, on a $10.00 sale, Sellers will earn less than $3.00 using this new model, even though the Buyer has paid $25.00 and is what they will be refunded. Anyone who needs funds in hand to pay the shipping must delay shipping for up to 5 Business Days (1 week) for this cumbersome method to complete its process.

• Slower deposits. Plop. Plop. Plop. 30 items can have 30 separate deposits, or 100, 167 and so on. Plop. Plop. Plop. Or we can bundle. How long will our buyers be willing to wait until we ship because we're waiting on processing? It would be longer if we're using the "bulk" method. Single deposits? Some banks and credit unions may want to add surcharges due to increased activity.

• No more buying from our accumulated funds. If we wanted to use funds from our accumulated sales to buy something, there's no longer a way to do it. If I were saving up to buy something at $75.00 it would now have to come directly from personal banking. Plop. Plop. Plop. An added discouragement. Once the
funds from my sales are deposited in my bank account it gets earmarked for a bill payment in real life. Period. No more setting a little aside to treat myself down the road. NO more joy of shopping on eBay.

This is a sham. On a $10.00 sale, eBay is hiking their rates by 50% or more.

To receive $2.96 on a $10 sale, I won't be giving eBay Canada access to my personal bank account AND my SIN. I'm not willing to jeopardize my bank account or gov't ID for this.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: eBay Managed Payments Sucks the Purpose Out of Selling by Taking 70%

Someone needs to start a petition

Bring  Back      " PAYPAL "

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Why not you?
Message 22 of 25
latest reply

l8e123
Community Member

Wow!   It's even worse than I thought, when you break it down like that.  I won't even be arriving at that way of being ripped off by ebay since I can't get verified.  I have been trying to do that since the end of June.  That's right June.  I filled in my bank info, chose personal account and sent it off.  Nothing happened.  I phoned after a week and was told I needed to send a voided cheque to prove I had this bank account.  The same bank account ebay has taken their ebay fees from and Paypal made deposits to , or taken money out of, for 16 years.  This was the beginning of a five month long nightmare.  This nightmare will finally end soon, because I am going to walk away from my ebay store and leave my sales for those months  I sold stock, but didn't received a dime, in ebay's coffers.  They told me months ago that they have no way to send my the money that is in my account, and that after I don't get my bank account verified, that after 90 days, that money will be sent to the Canadian government.  Ebay is telling me that they have no way to send a cheque, make an e-transfer or use Paypal, they still use it for some things, to send me my money so I can close my store.  Really!  This is so ridiculous I would laugh if I wasn't so angry and upset by this entire mess.  So the Canadian government is set up to refund ebay sellers?  Why would the Canadian government get involved in accepting money from ebay US and dole it out to the correct people?  The logistics just don't jibe here.  And of course nobody at ebay can tell me which department at the Canadian government will received my money, or even a phone number I could call - because there is no such thing.  I bet ebay will make a lot of money because many people will not be able to verify their accounts and the money held from their sales will go to ebay.  I have been told that I need a US account to receive my money, that I don't need a US account to receive my money, I have been told that my browser is at fault, or my bank, that my bank has the wrong swift code, or router code, or I have an old account, or it's my browser, or that I chose to be paid in US funds when I verified, although there is nowhere to chose that option.  THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT EBAY CUSTOMER SERVICE PEOPLE DON'T HAVE A CLUE, THEY ARE NOT TRAINED!  They are a stupid bunch mostly.  If you speak to five people maybe one of them will be able to help you.  They work from a script and they all say the same thing, how they care, how they will help, etc.  Since calling them, and this is only since November 1st, I have spoken to 14 reps, and been hung up on by them on November 1st, 9:30 am, the 2nd, 2:30 pm, the 3rd 12:35 pm, the 4th at noon, and November 6th at 6:21 pm.  No idea how many times I have been hung up on or given the wrong information since I started calling them at the end of June.  I know that I have tried to verify my account at least 25 times now, with their help or on my own, with a voided cheque, with a statement, tried my business account, etc.  Now my password is not recognized and since November 1st nothing has been done about that either.  I HATE EBAY!

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

So true Ebay is going to implode with this set up.They should have kept Paypal.So easy and simple.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 25 of 25
latest reply