eBay ending FVF promo 6 weeks earlier

Signed to a FVF promo for trading cards in march and it was supposed to last until september: 

The Promotion will begin on March 8, 2023 at 00:00:01 ET, and will end on September 30, 2023 at 23:59:59 ET, for listings on www.ebay.ca (“Final Value Fee Promotion Period”).

https://pages.ebay.ca/promo/2023/0308/fvf.html?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&emsid=0&mkcid=27&bu=45159115387&osub=...

Today. I received a message from eBay and they randomly end that promo 6 weeks earlier:

Earlier this year, you entered into a special Final Value Fee Promotion available to select trading card sellers for a brief period of time. We are writing to inform you that this promotion will be terminated effective August 16th, 2023.

This means that the Promotion discounts will no longer apply after this date.

Anyone else have their promo randomly ending earlier? I know they add the small term in the bottom that they can end anything anywhen for any reason. But really, doing that is truly a no respect from eBay and show how the platform cannot be trusted. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: eBay ending FVF promo 6 weeks earlier

I got the same email. Disappointing that it’s ending 6 weeks early.

Might have something to do with this email I got a few days ago. Not sure if it was sent to select people but it looked like a generic email targeted at a group of people.

“ I’m the Category Manager for Sports Trading Cards at eBay. I consult with our top sellers of trading cards on the site. I wanted to reach out and let you know that your successful business on eBay has not gone unnoticed. We are grateful to have you as part of the family! I would like to see if you would be open to meeting and discussing the opportunity of amplifying your business further on the site. My goal would be to prepare you for the prospect of a contract with us in the upcoming year wherein you would receive better selling fee rates, access to dedicated customer support, as well as events and promotions that feature you and your amazing business. Please reply to my email as soon as you are able to and we can schedule an introductory meeting.”

I sent an email to ask for more info about it but have not heard back. But I would tend to assume that this promotion that’s ending early was a test for whatever this select group might get down the road. Who knows with eBay these days
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

33nhl
Community Member
It's all about the $$$$ Ebay has been loosing $$$ way before the promotion so they cutting benefits to try and recoup losses.
Personally I can care less any more I sell more offline on Facebook Market Place or Facebook groups.
I been on Ebay 20+ years and fees costs just pushing me out of listing on Ebay although I tried for 1 year a store subscription cause after Ebay stopped the 100k free monthly listings had to sin up for store to keep all them listings active, but has not made big difference in sales rate, and will be going back to the free 250 listings in January and only way I will be paying the over charged fees rates is buyer going to pay more for items I will have for sale listed on Ebay or they can buy for less on my Facebook and save tax on purchases
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Personally I can care less any more I sell more offline on Facebook Market Place or Facebook groups.

I'm a born seller using ebay and unfortunately i slowly move to that too! It's more trouble but i can sell like 15-20% under the price i ask on ebay and make the same profit. That's ridiculous. Ebay don't understand how large the market is outside the plateform, just because of their abusive fees. Not even talking about taxes now on everything. That's a few hundreds bucks of sales i'm doing elsewhere because of it, and more to come. I was all-in on ebay but at some point i must admit i'm getting robbed. The plateform is unreliable. Just trying to grind our pockets at the maximum. They are testing our limits. It's run by snakes and rats. This promo ending early and not respecting the time stated is just another proof of it. 

this email I got a few days ago. 

Really unfortunate they select sellers like this and discriminate some others. I sold over 1000 items actively in the category on ebay past 2 years. Did not received a single negative feedback, neither a single defect. And i did not received any message. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@regs43 wrote:

I got the same email. Disappointing that it’s ending 6 weeks early.

Might have something to do with this email I got a few days ago. Not sure if it was sent to select people but it looked like a generic email targeted at a group of people.

I agree that the early cancellation is probably more to do with a change in strategy on eBay's part to promote the category than it has to do with any sort of financial hit eBay Canada may have taken from this promotion.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I asked more questions about what a person would have to do to join into a contract with ebay for the select email I got regarding a discount.

It was only for 1 quarter (would be revaluated and maybe extended) and the discounted fees were similar to what this current promo trading card sellers were getting. BUT you had to meet with a growth analyst to get the promo, so no thanks I am not wasting whatever amount of time of them telling me to promote listings which costs more to save 2% lol.

So as I figured ebay ended this promo early so they can offer this new promo of a similar value to select people with a few other stipulations.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply