eBay late shipment defect makes me want to punch a wall.

I sell $5000-$10000 per month on eBay, operating four separate accounts.  My inventory is mostly small items shipping via Canada Post oversize lettermail. My packages ship same or next day religiously.  I pride myself that I am able to achieve this each and every day without fail.

Why do I get penalized and lose my 20% FVF discount because either Canada Post delivers late or the buyer just thinks it was a little too slow for their liking and decides to mark it late. . .  Wait, I know why, some brain dead eBay executive decided "hey", "let's try this".  

I'd just like to say "hello", "it's unfair and a poor call on eBay's part, please revamp the process", it does not work as intended.

Oh, and if anyone at eBay is reading this, one last thing... Since changing my listings from USD to CAD I have lost a good 20% of my US sales which represented more than 50% of my gross revenue.  My overall sales are down approx $3000 per month since this amazing idea was hatched.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

And given your product line, you need to use Parcel Post. No getting around it like I can with single rate services.

I notice you are in Bowmanville. Have you looked into ChitChatExpress near Toronto?

I've never used them, but many posters seem very happy paying them a small fee to carry parcels to the States for USPS shipping which is often cheaper.

This also allows you to list on dotCOM in US dollars using USPS Calculated Shipping.

On dotCA, of course, we are required to use only Canadian shipping services.

There are a couple of threads on the Seller Board about them and some other similar services.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

"Oh, and if anyone at eBay is reading this, one last thing... Since changing my listings from USD to CAD I have lost a good 20% of my US sales which represented more than 50% of my gross revenue.  My overall sales are down approx $3000 per month since this amazing idea was hatched."

I would suggest listing on eBay.com in USD and move your listings in bulk via Turbo Lister or do a combination of listings on eBay.ca and eBay.com.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I notice you are in Bowmanville. Have you looked into ChitChatExpress near Toronto?

I've never used them, but many posters seem very happy paying them a small fee to carry parcels to the States for USPS shipping which is often cheaper.

This also allows you to list on dotCOM in US dollars using USPS Calculated Shipping.

Chit Chat Express has branch offices in Pickering and Markham.

There is also Stallion Express in Markham.

-..-

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Useful clarification.

I'm in Victoria (and formerly Ottawa) , so I know of CCE only from posters here.

There is a CCE in Vancouver, which I gather used to be Bookstotheborder.

I've heard similar businesses exist in Montreal and in Calgary. Any further information?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I do use Canada Post parcel with eBay shipping every day for items of higher value.  It's the items I sell that retail at say $5-$10 that ship oversize lettermail or US small packet where the issue arises. There is no low cost shipping available Canada-USA with tracking for low value items, small packet is my only available option. I get penalized if the shipment takes longer than expected simply because the buyer reports it as late.  What irritates me is that eBay bases this rating on the buyer stating if the package arrived on or before a certain date. Buyer states lettermail packet arrived late, I get penalized... Same package shipped with tracking, buyer states arrived late but tracking proves I shipped in 1 business day as in my shipping policy, I do not get penalized... Also, let's just say the package arrived in buyer's mailbox on Friday but he/she didn't pick it up until Monday...oops, 3 days late, better report it late....just sayin... Who makes these idiotic policies?

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I tried this option however it does not work with Canadian shipping services.  You cannot use calculated shipping so everything has to be listed with either free or flat rate shipping.  Might work for some sellers but it won't work for my inventory which I sell worldwide for the most part.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I do know of these services, as stated though it's the low value items I sell $5, $10, $15, that simply are not worthwhile to ship with any sort of tracked shipping method.  Also I was contacted by these people asking to be an agent for my shipments to USA but I would have had to deliver my parcels to their drop off location every day, 40km from my home.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@toolsnparts wrote:

I sell $5000-$10000 per month on eBay, operating four separate accounts.  My inventory is mostly small items shipping via Canada Post oversize lettermail. My packages ship same or next day religiously.  I pride myself that I am able to achieve this each and every day without fail.

Why do I get penalized and lose my 20% FVF discount because either Canada Post delivers late or the buyer just thinks it was a little too slow for their liking and decides to mark it late. . .  Wait, I know why, some brain dead eBay executive decided "hey", "let's try this".  

I'd just like to say "hello", "it's unfair and a poor call on eBay's part, please revamp the process", it does not work as intended.

Brain dead, no. American eBay exec, oh yes. eBay execs at HQ look at the US shipping market and then apply that to the rest of the world. The one size fits all approach.

For your light weight oversize lettermail items increase the handling time from one day to 2 or 3 days to increase the delivery time. For Canada your lettermail option is showing 3-7 days for anywhere in Canada (a case of eBay using Canada Post's overoptimistic delivery range). The minimum is okay but the maximum is not.

I have the same issues with Small Packet Int'l to Australia. The shipping time range estimate that eBay gives does not match actual times. So far these year (I've been asking my Aussie buyers when purchases arrive), the minimum time is eBay's maximum. The eBay estimates to Europe, however, do match with reality.

It would be nice if sellers could override the time estimates if they are proving to be incorrect. Perhaps by adding a time estimate adjustment of 1 to 10 days when eBay gives an estimate for an untracked service. So for example, you could have +3 adjustment and have 3-10 days for Canada delivery instead of 3-7 days.

-..-

For your lettermail stuff you can list those on eBay.COM in US$ and use flat rate shipping choices (and have better delivery time range choices).

Here's a list of current shipping choices when listing on eBay.com for the Canadian seller (who ships from Canada)

To the USA
All flat rate, no calculated, with expected delivery time.

Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)
Standard Shipping from outside US (6 to 10 business days)
Expedited Shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)
Flat rate Freight

---

Outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable.

Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

-..-

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I totally understand what you mean and how you feel! I did not sold a whole lot of items these last 3 months and the feedback I received is even more rare too. I just got my first defect a few weeks ago. Since this % is based on the feedback left and not total sales, another 2 defects like this, and I loose my discount on fees. That is so unfair! As if we could control how fast the postal system carries mail. 😞

Received a survey today from eBay. I immediately responded and told them that this system is totally insane and stupid. Don't know if it will do any good, but at least I was able to vent and told them what I am thinking.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I do use eBay shipping with Canada Post expedited parcel for all purchases with a higher value.  As stated my low value items ship in Canada oversize lettermail and for USA I use small packet lettermail, light packet & small packet air, all of which are not tracked.  My issue here is that I send out the product same or next day EVERY TIME using the shipping service stated in the ad and on eBay shipping.  If the package arrives late, IT'S NOT MY FAULT!  I get penalized anyway, this is my issue...

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Thanks for taking the time for the response. I do appreciate it.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Thanks, I too received the survey minutes after posting my beef... I guess venting may be of some value after all.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

What this always boils down to, is without tracking ebay doesn't believe we shipped it on time..

But they will always believe a buyer who says it arrived late..

Plain and simple it is all about the buyers..

And yes Canada post need a cost effective way to track small packages of low value, for around 3-4 dollars..i mean the ones that can go in a letter carriers bag.. they are going to all the same houses anyway..

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

• Since eBay and Paypal both accept Confirmation of Delivery, which is not the same as tracking,
  • and since letter carriers have a barcode reader in their bags anyway,
  • and since there is a bar code (for internal bookkeeping) on any service that uses a label anyway

I don't see why it would cost as much as $3-4 CDN ($2.25-$3USD) to add Delivery Confirmation to all 'package ' rates within North America.

Maybe we should suggest it to Canada Post, or better yet to CUPW as a bargaining chip.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Totally agree with you.

I received a defect for late shipment even though I shipped 1 day after the buyer paid an item.

When I contacted the buyer, he stated that he never stated the item was late.

But because I did not have  a tracking number,ebay in their wisdom decided to give me defect.

But here's the worst part .

I phoned in and was told that the defect would be removed. However  it would take 24 to 48 hrs.

Three days later I called and asked why the defect was not removed.

Spent another 1 hr. on the phone and was told by one of the supervisors that it would not be removed.

How can they tell you it would be removed and then not do it ?

A verbal agreement is binding. I wish I had the money to take them to court.

TFurthermore this whole late shipment defect is  a total farce and an excuse for ebay to remove your 20% discount.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

I had 2 light packet, that were held up at customs, marked late by the buyer. He knew they were held up because he told me when I asked.

I tried to get Ebay to remove them and was told to live with them. No tracking, no removal.

I agree 100% with you as do many other Canadians that have to live with US policies and Ebay could care less.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@toolsnparts wrote:

I do use eBay shipping with Canada Post expedited parcel for all purchases with a higher value.  As stated my low value items ship in Canada oversize lettermail and for USA I use small packet lettermail, light packet & small packet air, all of which are not tracked.  My issue here is that I send out the product same or next day EVERY TIME using the shipping service stated in the ad and on eBay shipping.  If the package arrives late, IT'S NOT MY FAULT!  I get penalized anyway, this is my issue...

That is because Ebay equates late delivery as late shipping to penalize more sellers.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:
  • Since eBay and Paypal both accept Confirmation of Delivery, which is not the same as tracking,
  • and since letter carriers have a barcode reader in their bags anyway,
  • and since there is a bar code (for internal bookkeeping) on any service that uses a label anyway

I don't see why it would cost as much as $3-4 CDN ($2.25-$3USD) to add Delivery Confirmation to all 'package ' rates within North America.

Maybe we should suggest it to Canada Post, or better yet to CUPW as a bargaining chip.

CUPW likely wouldn't care. With the current workload and remuneration structure for carrier route deliveries they are likely to have zero sympathy and no perceived incentive towards anything that would increase their workload. CP could meet consumers half way and at least offer an acceptance scan. They have already implemented workarounds for international registered mail, so why not do something on behalf of their domestic customers?

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@cosmosmusic2011 wrote:

Furthermore this whole late shipment defect is  a total farce and an excuse for ebay to remove your 20% discount.

The unfortunate bit is a very large portion of the ebay sales volume originates in markets where tracking is pretty much standard. In those markets it completely makes sense to have a mechanism in place like this to weed out the bad sellers and derank them in search to ensure the best consumer experience. In markets like Canada it makes less sense since there are any number of categories where tracking is the exception rather than standard. When you ship with untracked services life on ebay can be a bit of a pain. Since moving everything to USPS shipping 90% of my headaches with selling on ebay are gone, but that is an extra 150-175 km of travel a week so no free lunches as it were.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply