eBay letter for reducing import charges

Reduce duties & taxes on cross-border transactions

Dear Main Street Member:

Nearly 100% of commercial sellers on eBay export and eBay is a top ecommerce destination for buyers across the globe.

Unfortunately, Canada's customs laws – namely Canada's customs de minimis threshold – make it difficult for eBay users to buy and sell internationally. Canada's de minimis threshold was set 30 years ago and is among the lowest globally. It is a major reason eBay sellers struggle to accept returns from international buyers and it causes the government to lose revenue. Click here to learn more about the issue.

We at eBay believe strongly that Canadian law must be updated to reduce the burden on Canadian consumers and businesses. If you agree, join the Canadian American Business Council in urging Canadian Finance Minister Bill Morneau to raise the de minimis threshold by sending him a postcard.

Participation is easy – just click the link below to send your postcard. Together, we can make a difference.

Send a Postcard Now!

Sincerely,

Andrea Stairs
Managing Director
eBay Canada

Well this is what i get yesterday whats your opinion guys 

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: eBay letter for reducing import charges

Two hundred drive across duty-free allowance? Not to my knowledge.
Message 21 of 65
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifcrc-rpcrc-eng.html

< 24 hrs $0

>24 hrs < 48 hrs $200

>48 hrs $800

Changed early this year or late last year

Message 22 of 65
latest reply

Right. Those of us that do daytrips bring nothing back duty-free. That allowance extends only to people who've taken an overnight vacation. Or more.

Message 23 of 65
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifcrc-rpcrc-eng.html

< 24 hrs $0

>24 hrs < 48 hrs $200

>48 hrs $800

Changed early this year or late last year

Changed in 2012

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/new-duty-free-limits-will-challenge-canadian-retailers-1.1197319

Message 24 of 65
latest reply

duty-free threshold on items brought back to Canada with you:

Under 24 hours: limit is $0

24 hours to 48 hours: $200

Longer than 48 hours: $800

Note to self: finish the reply, before getting a snack in the kitchen... Smiley Embarassed

Message 25 of 65
latest reply

It had been that day-trippers could bring back $50 worth of stuff (but not booze or cigarettes) free. But if you went over that $50, you paid for all of it. Back in the day. No more.
Message 26 of 65
latest reply

This will kill Canadian company like i said .I know many companies that hold the licence for the brand name items and at the same time the American chain stores import directly from USA avoiding Canadian company.This kills jobs,and does have effect on all the social programs offered in Canada.There was many times that American presidents had a campaign BUY AMERICAN> Guess why.If you are importer any way you must pay all the duty and taxes up front.The population in Canada have a big impact on this too
Message 27 of 65
latest reply

You may be right but the Average Online Shopper doesn't care to think that far ahead. They want some toy and they want it for less than $30 including shipping. Will they buy it from me for $30 CAD with free postage and no sales tax (I haven't reached the level to collect and remit it) or will they go to the USA seller who's got it listed for $5 USD and $15 postage. It depends on whether they've recently had reason to worry about import taxes. And how much they're willing to sacrifice speed of delivery for savings, real or imagined. They're thinking in the moment, not about the future of Canada as we know it.

While I may agree with you, we know most people will look at this as what is best for them, not what's best for us as a whole.

Message 28 of 65
latest reply

I live in Canada and i do pay taxes here so i rather make the canadian economy move then others.When i order something from outside i pay the price .And should be this way to protect the canadian jobs.People should start think wisely .SUPPORT CANADIAN BUSINESS.
Message 29 of 65
latest reply

The buy American slogan relates to products MADE in the US, not just those sold from within the US.

Im not specificallly for one side of this discussion but I am just pointing out that there is more than one side to it from an eBay seller point of view.  Femme brings up a good point too when she mentioned that we may have lost a number of Canadian buyers from eBay altogether because of the gsp and the low tax threshold.  i do think that a lot of the buyers who were complaining about it were purchasing collectibles that aren't necessarily available here.

Message 30 of 65
latest reply

The River has its own system of collecting import taxes on cross-border transactions which is far superior to the GSP. If eBay lost buyers to the GSP, it was the fault of eBay, not the de minimus.
Message 31 of 65
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
The River has its own system of collecting import taxes on cross-border transactions which is far superior to the GSP. If eBay lost buyers to the GSP, it was the fault of eBay, not the de minimus.

How does amazon do it?

Don't get me wrong, eBay has made tons of mistakes with the gsp.  But I've started to make purchases from many other sites and the fact that they were precharging me with tax/duty DID make me hit the back button and never go back to that site.  In some cases if the threshold would have been higher that wouldn't have been as much of a problem.  Again...in all of those cases, there was no Canadian retailer that supplied those items so purchasing them would not have taken away business from a retailer here.  Obviously that isn't always the case.

Message 32 of 65
latest reply

The River USA charges sales tax on your order, based on cad equivalent, and takes absolutely nothing as a handling fee. If they, after conversation, have discovered the buyer paid so much as a Canadian penny more than required, it's sent back as a refund.
Message 33 of 65
latest reply

Moreover, the costs are clear on checkout and you can toggle back and forth between your addresses to see which is more cost-effective. It's flawless customer service.
Message 34 of 65
latest reply

Yes I have had refunds from the Japan River too for something like 20 cents they overcharged. For large heavy item, River + DHL + tax might be cheaper than Japan Post rates for EMS.
Message 35 of 65
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
, we know most people will look at this as what is best for them, not what's best for us as a whole.

And that is the way of the world.  I can't blame them, just like I can't blame eBay for trying to change what Americans believe to be an insignificant and even inconvenient little country.  I just hope the Canadian government will have the sense to do what is best for Canada.  Whatever that may be, I am not saying it is one thing or another.  But I do believe this 'import limit' issue is rooted in the pursuit of more money for eBay & the US economy and little else.  I think Canada should decide only what is best for Canada & the Canadian economy, make a firm decision and bring a final end to it.  

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Moreover, the costs are clear on checkout and you can toggle back and forth between your addresses to see which is more cost-effective. It's flawless customer service.

Funny how it is that eBay seems to think the way to lure and hold onto buyers is by throwing up more and more ads and listings in their face.  "Customer service?  How do you spell that?"   🙂  

Message 36 of 65
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I'm still wondering how the GSP was  so suddenly able to stop charging import fees.   In my category that is now the norm.

eBay did lose Canadian buyers because of the GSP, and that damage is done, but the program is nothing like it used to be.

Message 37 of 65
latest reply

Jus back from Maui, and I notice that if Canadians are out of the country for 7 days or more, that duty free limit rises from $20 (postal) and $200 (48 hours) to $800.

Message 38 of 65
latest reply

I believed that changed a few years ago.

How was Maui?  

Message 39 of 65
latest reply

I just purchased some artwork on the River's U.S. site after doing a thorough search to see if I could purchase it in Canada.  Unfortunately I could not find it for sale here.

I almost backed out of the purchase when I realized they collected import fees/duty up front.  However, I really wanted the picture so I went through checkout only to find that the charge is minimal and they promise to refund any difference between what I paid and the actual import fee.

Not only that...they stated that if it cost MORE than the amount they charged me that THEY would pay the difference.

I was impressed.

Message 40 of 65
latest reply