eBay letter for reducing import charges

Reduce duties & taxes on cross-border transactions

Dear Main Street Member:

Nearly 100% of commercial sellers on eBay export and eBay is a top ecommerce destination for buyers across the globe.

Unfortunately, Canada's customs laws – namely Canada's customs de minimis threshold – make it difficult for eBay users to buy and sell internationally. Canada's de minimis threshold was set 30 years ago and is among the lowest globally. It is a major reason eBay sellers struggle to accept returns from international buyers and it causes the government to lose revenue. Click here to learn more about the issue.

We at eBay believe strongly that Canadian law must be updated to reduce the burden on Canadian consumers and businesses. If you agree, join the Canadian American Business Council in urging Canadian Finance Minister Bill Morneau to raise the de minimis threshold by sending him a postcard.

Participation is easy – just click the link below to send your postcard. Together, we can make a difference.

Send a Postcard Now!

Sincerely,

Andrea Stairs
Managing Director
eBay Canada

Well this is what i get yesterday whats your opinion guys 

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: eBay letter for reducing import charges

I have to agree that the competition does a much better job of collecting the import fees than does eBay, just as you mentioned. I almost never buy from them and ask to ship to Canada but I have about a half- dozen times and they make it painless. There are lessons to be learned there. 

Message 41 of 65
latest reply

westernstargifts wrote:

I almost backed out of the purchase when I realized they collected import fees/duty up front.  However, I really wanted the picture so I went through checkout only to find that the charge is minimal and they promise to refund any difference between what I paid and the actual import fee.

Not only that...they stated that if it cost MORE than the amount they charged me that THEY would pay the difference.

I've heard that before about the Amacompetitor (haven't actually tried it), that they are very forthright in their presentation of fees and in no way leave a buyer feeling overcharged or that something sneaky is going on.  If eBay wants to make itself more popular with buyers and insists on clinging to that GSP, modelling that particular aspect of the other site would be a good place to start, imo.  

Message 42 of 65
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

@westernstargifts wrote:

I almost backed out of the purchase when I realized they collected import fees/duty up front.  However, I really wanted the picture so I went through checkout only to find that the charge is minimal and they promise to refund any difference between what I paid and the actual import fee.

Not only that...they stated that if it cost MORE than the amount they charged me that THEY would pay the difference.

I've heard that before about the Amacompetitor (haven't actually tried it), that they are very forthright in their presentation of fees and in no way leave a buyer feeling overcharged or that something sneaky is going on.  If eBay wants to make itself more popular with buyers and insists on clinging to that GSP, modelling that particular aspect of the other site would be a good place to start, imo.  

Amazon, LL Bean, Lands End, NewEgg, Tiger Direct and I could go on and on.....

All do a form of GSP and none of them (to my Knowledge) use Pitney-Bowes. I'll say that this type of International shipping does not work very well with a "marketplace" like eBay but can work quite well in a single merchant situation. If nothing else the time and cost to move product from seller to hub and then export puts eBay at a distinct disadvantage. Add to that the lack of knowledge by sellers who sign up and the crazy system PB has for determining their shipping estimates. It does create some bargains under the right circumstances I suppose.

Anywho, back on topic, raising the free allowance is advantageous for eBay, Canadian buyers, Foreign sellers, and the few Canadians who drop ship from the USA. One thing to remember it would have the same effect for all of eBay's competitors.

It would do nothing for Canadian sellers on or off eBay, on or offline.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 43 of 65
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

That cross border presentation only occurs if you buy directly from AZ or from sellers who rent space in the AZ warehouses. And it only applies to some products. It's made possible because AZ handles all the money from start to finish plus they are in control of shipping from warehouse to customer. None of which happens on eBay.

ebay's GSP claim is that you won't pay any additional fees on delivery.

But your point about showing the details is important -- it should have been available to see from the start -- so much for duties, so much for taxes and so much for GSP processing & delivery. Rather than one vague lump which makes it very difficult to see when things get screwed up.

Side story: A number of years ago one of my suppliers used to use DHL to ship to Canada -- start of one year the values for duty/taxes/processing  became just a total with no breakdown (the DHL excuse was the Canada Post form had changed and there was no space to do a breakout). But the totals looked wrong for some reason. I already had low confidence in DHL as they'd managed to screwup the price drops in the GST when it went from 7% to 6% to 5%. I talked to the CEO of my supplier, who has great teeth for this type of problem -- and shortly thereafter DHL was managing to break out the numbers again. Turns out they'd screwed up the provincial tax rate and increased the processing fee.

And the only way to see that was to have all the info available.

Most people won't bother with GSP details -- but the details should be available, so buyers can have the ability to do validity checks.

-..-

Message 44 of 65
latest reply

I 'liked' ebay Canada about two months ago on Facebook and things periodically show as Sponsored Links in my Newsfeed.

This topic came up on Monday where usually I see something about ebay Deals. 

It went over like a lead ballon with most Comments being about how s-t-u-p-i-d- ebay and its sellers are. Very disheartening. I took a screen capture of one of the only lucid comments on the post. 

IMG_8460.PNG

IMG_8461.PNG

Message 45 of 65
latest reply

@westernstargifts wrote:

I just purchased some artwork on the River's U.S. site after doing a thorough search to see if I could purchase it in Canada.  Unfortunately I could not find it for sale here.

I was impressed.

Six days later they still haven't shipped.  Just a note that says they are still waiting to find the best estimated shipping time and that I will be notified by email when it has been shipped.  I also have the option to cancel the order which, at this point, I won't do because I can't find it cheaper anywhere else (or in Canada).

Not so impressed now but will wait and see.

Message 46 of 65
latest reply

The last time I had an order that was a direct River purchase that waited a week for shipment, I complained (big surprise, I know) to them and they upgraded the speed of the postal service at no additional charge so that I would get it at the same time as if they had fulfilled it and shipped right away. Maybe try that. 

Message 47 of 65
latest reply

I thought about doing so but I didn't see anywhere to contact them.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I will take another look..

Message 48 of 65
latest reply

Found it.  Thanks again.

Message 49 of 65
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

While I agree that the $20 threshold is low, in the past whenever I did purchase something on ebay .com for under $100, and it was shipped via USPS, I was rarely charged duty and/or taxes. If I had to go and pick up the item(s), I always had my wallet out, ready to pay.

When the seller ships by courier, I have always had to pay, plus there was a huge brokerage fee as well. I learned my lesson quickly, and generally do not purchase unless the seller uses USPS. I also do not purchase from a US seller using the GSP. I know it has gotten better, but I try to find a Canadian seller, to give them the business, and for peace of mind.

There was an instance, where the Border Services over charged me on a package from France, even with the weigh-bill in plain view on the outside of the box, but was able to get a refund.

Regarding the US sellers on the river, if they list on the .ca site, they must use a courier if the item is more than $20, to be able to prepay the taxes etc., so the buyer receives the item with nothing added.

Message 50 of 65
latest reply

Yes, I am late to the party.

How was Maui?

Meh.

Not a beach person.

I liked going to the (dormant) volcano top and the Sugar Museum. And the aquarium was neat.

And now I have a helicopter ride off my bucket list.

The national food of Hawai'i is Spam.

Seriously. I bought the cookbook-- Volume 2.

Message 51 of 65
latest reply

Lol I've seen the spam offerings in their convenience stores...ugh.  I really like Hawaii but I love the beach, smorkeling etc.  Unfortunately, it's quite expensive to get there even from western Canada and the low Cdn$ makes it super expensive to stay there.

Did you take the road to Hana? 

Message 52 of 65
latest reply

Hello There,

We are going way out off the original topic. Does anyone have any other comment on "eBay letter for reducing import charges" ?

Each suggestion  is truly appreciated.

Thank you and have a good day!

Regards

Message 53 of 65
latest reply

Well thank goodness we have those looking out for any outwardly sign of verbally socializing with their peers in here. Next thing you know they will be wishing one another a respective Happy Birthday. Be warned. The end is nigh. 

Message 54 of 65
latest reply

Well......

Many people took the original 'call to arms' from ebay on this issue to be spam. So it is still kinda related. 

Message 55 of 65
latest reply

Not sure what you mean by that..

Message 56 of 65
latest reply

It's a pun. 

Message 57 of 65
latest reply

Naaw.  Well, hah, maybe two-thirds of a pun.   . . .        . . .    P - U !     :-D  

Message 58 of 65
latest reply

I want to bid on a $100 auction and $30 shipping.., sadly seller is using GSP so not only will it take addition 3-5 days if I win (they ship to global shipping place who then ships to me) but they added import charges are $70.71! That's outrageous. Shipping and import is equal to current bid. Talk about gouging Canadians 😐 eBay is **bleep** now. Last purse I bought (2 weeks ago has still not arrived) had no import fees and also used GSP so not sure why it's different. I won that Purse at $122 CAD and paid around $30 CAD shipping! 😐 There's no way import charges could cost that much. I've never paid import duties when an item arrived so how can they charge $71?
Message 59 of 65
latest reply

The de minimus threshold for items imported by post is $20 CAD.

If you've never been charged at delivery for that prior to this, you have been extremely 'lucky'.

It is better to be aware of the risk of import fees and be pleasantly surprised if you're not charged than it is to expect not to be and then be unpleasantly surprised when it is assessed as it should be. 

The law says $20 CAD is the limit by post before fees are assessed on the the whole amount. The fact is that it sometimes isn't collected. And travel by land or air, and duration of stay outside Canada affects the de minimus differently of course.

Personally, I don't object to paying import fees. Those taxes support my Canadian way of life and everything I hold dear about being Canadian. I wouldn't switch my place in Canada for anywhere else in the world. 

Message 60 of 65
latest reply