help on shipping aluminum lightning truss

i have sold two five (5) ft long  box (10 inch x10 inchs) style aluminum lightning trusses  these are used and will be shipped to  a vancouver theatre company  from toronto-- i need to find a shipper  who is reasonable priced - they weight is about 60 lbs for both units  what if anyone knows is shipping cost  est. wise  -- the items are 90 percent sold  but they want me to cover the shipping costs - new these are over 1000 dollars us  for the pair i selling them for 500/600 dollars canadian -- any advice will be appreciated - which shippers should use ????i have no experience shipping items this big--

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@dobo5250 

You could try comparing Purolator, DHL or ICS Courier. All will ship across Canada with ground rates. Confirm on any oversized charge with their online rate calculator or call them directly prior to booking a pick up. Links below. With most couriers you can do a one of without setting up an account. 

https://www.dhl.com/ca-en/home.html?locale=true

https://www.icscourier.ca/support/faqs.aspx

https://www.purolator.com/en

https://www.purolator.com/en/shipping/purolator-specialized-services

-Lotz

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Hello

You may want to try Chit Chats.  I do not know what the size limitation for their shipping criteria, but they have introduced some new lower  rates for point to point shipping between their stores (Customer has to PU item at their store).

Good Luck

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Are the dimensions the packed boxes or before packing?  You may want to ship it in 2 packages.  One big one that size may be more expensive.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Free Shipping- which is what your customer wants- is never free.

The cost of shipping has to be included in the asking price and you should have worked out that cost BEFORE Offering the trusses.

Hindsight, of course, is 20/20.

Your buyer may be disappointed if you refuse the sale because the low cost of the used trusses is about the same as the cost of new, once you factor in the shipping costs.

Best wishes and keep negotiating.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

You could try phoning a few moving companies. One might have extra room on a truck and be willing to give you a good deal.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Yeah but....

When we move house from ON to BC, we sat in our empty new home for two weeks after the expected delivery (renting a hotel room ) while our furniture wandered across the Prairies and down into the USA.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Canada Post Expedited Parcel except they may not have Signature for this service.

5ft=60 inches plus girth =40 inches. Max is 107.8 inches so you are good.

Max weight per package is 66 lbs so you are good. 

Assuming this is an eBay sale (as this is an eBay forum) you need a Signature on delivery and a tracking number . That rules out most moving companies.  I use UPS for stuff like this which is the best deal I can find. Much cheaper to open an account with the rep 1st on the phone.

If UPS isn't cheap enough don't waste your time and list it on a local platform. Lots of theatre in Toronto.

Best wishes!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

PS. If your entire sale including item cost, pst, gst and the amount your buyer pays for shipping can be under $750 you do not need a signature for eBay protection. You may also consider @byto253 s suggestion to break up the shipment into 2 if you want to use Expedited Parcel if the total value of your sale including taxes and shipping exceeds $750.

As far as I know there's no such thing as "90% sold". That's not a thing. Nothing is sold until you have the money and the buyer has the item. Buyers of staging equipment go elswhere fast. I would create a new listing or ,if over $750 total sale amount, TWO new listings right now (today) that include a flat rate for freight and insurance via Exp parcel. These are small packages. I doubt shipping two of them via CPost will cost much more that one shipment via UPS. YThat way your covered by the eBay Protection with no signature.

Contact the buyer with the listing(s) and get their money right away. Chances are if you waste time looking for cheap your buyer will go local and your trusses will be 100% unsold.

Just a suggestion. Good luck!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I'd get the Signature option (for under $2.00) no matter what the selling price is.

It's cheap insurance when something is going to a commercial enterprise where the guy who gets the stuff may not know the guy who ordered the stuff.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

5ft=60 inches plus girth =40 inches. Max is 107.8 inches so you are good.

Max weight per package is 66 lbs so you are good. 

Those are the maximum dimensions allowed before you get hit with out-of-spec (which you never EVER want to do), but an item gets hit with an oversize surcharge if any dimension is greater than 39.4 inches. Now that we're in peak season (or will be tomorrow), that surcharge would be $25. Given the value of the sale, that's probably not a huge deal though and may still be cheaper than other services.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thank you. @flipistics 

You're right. I was thinking L + G not Max Length of 2 M. That said I've seen snow skis make it through.  I would pay the extra because if not it's either a dead deal or UPS then. 

Probably $250 to $300 via UPS in one box with sig req'd. Still likely cheaper by C Post in 2 boxes but I would take it into the depot before buying the labels . 

Maximums.JPG

Message 12 of 12
latest reply