item not received request refund will come from ebay?

a buyer has opened a INR request because the item is stuck and tracking is not updating. I spoke to a ebay rep on chat and she told me that because it's not my fault, i will not be forced to refund the buyer and ebay will pay the buyer on my behalf??? is this true or is she talking out of her behind?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: item not received request refund will come from ebay?

Lol  have not heard that comment from customer service before.  No, it's not true. eBay does  not refund the buyer when a package gets lost.  It's up to the seller to do that.   However, if the buyer opens an inr and the seller doesn't prove delivery and doesn't refund...eBay will refund when the buyer asks them to step in. Of course they will then take that money from your account and you will get an unresolved case defect.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

when refund is given do I at least get the ebay fees back or no?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If you voluntarily give the refund, yes, most of your fees are refunded.

If eBay forces the refund, you don't get your fees back. And Defects can lead to higher fees in future, restrictions on the number and value of your listings, or even a closed selling account.

When you refund, tell the buyer as pleasantly as you can, that she can return the refund when the shipment arrives or you can reinvoice her when tracking shows delivery.

This works about half the time.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

how do I reinvoice someone and what is the method to have refund returned?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

You can't have the refund returned.

If the buyer has advised receipt after receiving the refund:

If you are NOT on Managed Payments, you can send them another PAYPAL invoice so they can pay again. You can get their email by replying to the PAYPAL  message you received when they paid.

If you ARE on Managed Payments you can just make up a special only for them eBay lot that they can purchase and pay for again. Once they pay you just mark it as shipped and all is well after that. (you will lose the eBay fees but you would have gotten them returned if the return was handled properly).

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

what do you mean return was handled properly? and how do I make a special only for them ebay lot?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@chengda85 wrote:

a buyer has opened a INR request because the item is stuck and tracking is not updating. I spoke to a ebay rep on chat and she told me that because it's not my fault, i will not be forced to refund the buyer and ebay will pay the buyer on my behalf??? is this true or is she talking out of her behind?

Have you had any updates with tracking on this shipment? Sent one(Xpresspost) around 26th of May and same thing with eBay/CP tracking. Crickets for updates. It may be that CP is NOT 100% compatible with ALL international postal services.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Hi @chengda85 

Properly means that you did the refund and eBay didn't make it for you. If you process the refund you get your fees back, you don't if it is a "forced" refund.

Creating a special lot for a buyer is the same as for a regular buyer, just advise the buyer of the item title and number so they can buy it. Theoretically someone else might but it won't have any (valid) pictures etc so there's no real reason why. 

Here is a link to a sold "special lot for PARTIALBUYERNAME" I recently did up...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203307849292?hash=item2f5617964c:g:ejUAAOSwMTFeN1gK 

I just a picture of something unidentifiable.

PS Note the wording in the description, it is amazing how many views these lots get......

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Personally I wouldn't use the "special lot" or "private listing"  wording , just the customer's name.

That almost totally avoids the bottomfeeders Searching on those words for deals meant for others.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

can I just ask the buyer to send me money through paypal?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@chengda85 

You can, but they will need your email address to do that, and to know how to "Send money" - at least in my crowd there's a portion that don't know how to do that.

If you email them they'll have your email address. I'm not sure if you'd be able to send your email address to them via eBay messaging with the "rules" in messaging preventing us from including address information in messages. Having said this I think Tyler or someone said that it is not caught by the bots if it is to do with a transaction, which this is.

I've always handled it by sending a PAYPAL invoice.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply