managed payments

So...I like listing on .com because USD is stronger than CAD . Plus when listing on .ca Ebay converts to usd for any US customers. And thats a huge red flag for buyers in my opinion. US buyer is looking at your listing and see's $67.83 and is like " Why such a weird price ohh they must be in europe ill go onto the next one."

The only reason i do like listing on .ca is the app is soo darn convinent and fast. But with managed payments am i still allowed to list on .com ( my store subscription is on .com too) and does ebay just convert like paypal used to and charge 2.5%??  Or can i not be paid in USD anymore because i am transfering to a canadian bank account?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

managed payments

marnotom!
Community Member

You can still list on .com under managed payments. You have two options for how your payouts are handled:

1. You may have eBay convert your payouts into Canadian dollars before depositing them into a Canadian dollar chequing account (the conversion charge being bandied about on these discussion boards is 3%)

2. You can open a US dollar chequing account with a Canadian financial institution and have the bank/credit union/whatever convert the funds when you withdraw or transfer them. Study the fee schedules for these accounts carefully as not all Canadian-based US dollar chequing accounts are created equal.

If you plan on listing on both .ca and .com with the same ID, you will have to choose one type of account to handle payouts from both eBay sites.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

Thanks, ya i already signed up and put canadian funds and i see i cant change it now

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

You can still list on both sites.

However: MP fees for sales on .COM are 0.2% higher than for .CA (for most cateories). The .COM rates increased this spring, while .CA rates remained the same.

Paypal has increased their conversion rates for US/Cdn balances to 3% (up to 4% for other currencies). eBay uses 3% for Cdn/USA payout conversions.

You can set up MP to use either US$ or Cdn$ for payouts (sales in the other currency will be converted).

Is their any particular reason you have a store on .com ?

-..-

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

USA has 330 million ppl...canada has 38.. 10 times the customer base

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

The only reason you list on .COM if you can is because the payout is in USD.  If you list on .CA then the payout is automatic in CAD and you don't have the option.

The fact the US is bigger shouldn't impact your sales, in theory at least, although there have been anecdotical reports with some saying listing on .CA gives more visibility for their items to US and some saying in contrary. The proof is in the pudding, unless somebody takes the major effort to do a A/B testing for both scenarios. Another impact could be of course the USD/CAD fluctuations affecting the selling.

I haven't see any report saying 67.85 are better than 67.83 just because rounder number. Buyer on ebay buys the cheapest/fastest/most reliable option regardless of how round the number is.

That said, national sentiments may play role, if you sell to US, they may prefer by from US sellers.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

The last few times I've checked, PP has charged me 5% for the currency conversion. On top of the fee for handling the transaction.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

AFAIK the foreign conversion is 4%.  Is it possible the 5% might have been sales tax if you sell to US state where ebay collects the tax?

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

@museumrarities wrote:

USA has 330 million ppl...canada has 38.. 10 times the customer base

Store on .CA or store on .COM -- both allow you to list on either site and you get the free listing allowances on both sites.  The main difference is that the monthly fee for a store is cheaper on the Canadian side.

-..-

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

"The only reason you list on .COM if you can is because the payout is in USD.  If you list on .CA then the payout is automatic in CAD and you don't have the option."

I am registered on .ca with MP in $US to my US$ account.  It does not matter if a listing is on .ca or .com, the payout to me is in $US.   Perhaps you meant to say that the .ca listing is auto in $CDN and that is not an option. 

The actual payout from either site is in the currency you registered for.   The .ca $CDN listings get converted by Ebay to $US.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

@a52split 

There are two fees- one is the currency exchange- the difference between the two currencies

For example today the loonie is worth* 57p sterling and 67c in euros.

Then the financial institution charges a service fee.

Both PP and MP use 3% as their service fee.

I suspect the 5% is either the currency exchange itself or the exchange** PLUS the service fee somehow amalgamated.

* I deliberately did not use US dollars, because for some people a dollar to dollar exchange is confusing.
** The exchange is neither a gain or a loss just a different name - like Anastasia being called Annie by her friends. She's still the same person.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

OK, thanks, it's clear now. I don't think even ebay support understands there is a difference between changing currency between CAD and USD vs. moving from .COM to .CA.

I called 2 support people and I HAD to educate both of them about the differences between those two things.  Both support had initially no clue.

When changing the .COM to .CA store proceed with caution and verify your payout currency didn't inadvertently change.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

@museumrarities 

@itolduandso 

I had a completed sale the other day from a US buyer. He had attached a note showing what the conversion stated and my price in Canadian.  His words were "you better be charging me correctly". Contacted him directly and explained  eBay exchange rates and he was relieved/appreciative(Long time buyer on eBay). Thanked me for the clarification. If this is one customer, how many more do not ask? This was a first for me.

-Lotz

As for the note it shows up on your sold listing page but NOT with the payment.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

Your payout currency is CAD or USD?  Also I assume your account is on .CA?  Right?

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

I look at it this way, US buyer seems my item and the price is 68.13 because ebsy converts it, says to himself why the weird price? oh it must be in Europe and converted to usd oh the shipping will be to high ill buy off a US seller
Message 15 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

@itolduandso wrote:

Your payout currency is CAD or USD?  Also I assume your account is on .CA?  Right?

All listings created on dot ca in CAD funds. Always offered with as many shipping options as possible depending on item so buyer is able to make an educated comparison. It's still not helping that eBay is dropping valid services that should be visible and were offered when the listing was created.

-Lotz

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

@museumrarities wrote:
I look at it this way, US buyer seems my item and the price is 68.13 because ebsy converts it, says to himself why the weird price? oh it must be in Europe and converted to usd oh the shipping will be to high ill buy off a US seller

Back when .ca banned USD listings I switched everything over to .com to avoid this issue. In competitive categories you don't want your price wandering around with the exchange rate and your listing being the odd man out.  From experience elsewhere  with a large ecom retailer it definitely can lead to lost sales and complaints from customers.  Sensitivity to exchange rates and the perception that someone in the chain is charging an extra amount were a big source of calls into customer service and posted complaints, even when the exchange rate was actually benefitting them when the US dollar was stronger. Once we changed to direct USD billing those complaints went away.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

@hlmacdon wrote:

@museumrarities wrote:

Back when .ca banned USD listings I switched everything over to .com to avoid this issue. In competitive categories you don't want your price wandering around with the exchange rate and your listing being the odd man out.  From experience elsewhere  with a large ecom retailer it definitely can lead to lost sales and complaints from customers.  Sensitivity to exchange rates and the perception that someone in the chain is charging an extra amount were a big source of calls into customer service and posted complaints, even when the exchange rate was actually benefitting them when the US dollar was stronger. Once we changed to direct USD billing those complaints went away.

From past experience shopping online from US establishments when making a purchase it used to show the applicable exchange rate prior to making payment. Now with PayPal less in play the actual exchange rate is very well hidden and it's seen really only after the fact. Not sure if this is standard or just an eBay thing. If the exchange rate was more visible it might help clear up any confusion. Especially with eBay. Similar to tax and the applicable percentage. B & M stores those both show clearly on the receipt. Note: eBay transactions for Alberta the tax has now changed to VAT.  Is it really a Value Added and isn't it technically called GST?  🤔

-Lotz

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

Most websites will use a forex provider's API to lookup and display converted currencies on the day from their database but those vary by provider depending on what specific rate they are quoting won't reflect what you will be billed as each payment processor/gateway will have their own exchange rates that factor in their margin and any percentages that get charged to them. Often you won't see the billed amount in CAD but rather in the native billing currency. Proper multicurrency setups where you pay in the exact currency and amounts shown are the best for the consumer but many merchants often just want to stick to managing a single currency to simplify accounting and account management. 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

@hlmacdon 

So maybe a currency conversion tool would be a good concept? Help buyers with transparency.

-Lotz

Message 20 of 27
latest reply