managed payments

So...I like listing on .com because USD is stronger than CAD . Plus when listing on .ca Ebay converts to usd for any US customers. And thats a huge red flag for buyers in my opinion. US buyer is looking at your listing and see's $67.83 and is like " Why such a weird price ohh they must be in europe ill go onto the next one."

The only reason i do like listing on .ca is the app is soo darn convinent and fast. But with managed payments am i still allowed to list on .com ( my store subscription is on .com too) and does ebay just convert like paypal used to and charge 2.5%??  Or can i not be paid in USD anymore because i am transfering to a canadian bank account?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

managed payments

@itolduandso 

Don't be too hard on the reps, in this instance.

Most people can't understand why they are not getting the mid-market exchange rate when they change money.

And Ghu help the poor teller who has to explain that if you buy money it will cost you more than when you sell money.  ( Or is it vice versa?)

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

Probably not.

Most of those work with mid-market rates which:

• deal in interbank transactions in the millions of dollars/euros/yen
  • the buy/sell rates are different from each other
  • the actual amount that will be turned over will vary slightly depending on the financial institutions handling it.

And once the person notices the difference, it takes a lot of explaining to convince him that he is not being cheated. The worse the spelling, grammar, and heavy use of exclamat!on marks and ALL CAPS the more difficult it will be.

If the customer is in the USA and buys in USD I think he gets charged in USD and no thought is required on his part.

Which is a Good Thing, whatever happens on the Canadian seller's end.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

"eBay transactions for Alberta the tax has now changed to VAT"

LOL, yes, they think Alberta is a member of the EU Kingdom and just became independent because of the Wexit.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

The transactions I noted the 5% conversion fee were related to sales not involving ebay. I have ads on a message board where there are no fees at all. Buyers simply contact sellers directly and the sale is completed any way both parties agree to. A recent example was a buyer sending me a WU MO in the mail. There is no state sales tax involved.

Here are the numbers. The price including shipping is $55USD.  Buyer enters $55 in his PP acct.  PP converts it and gives me $63.75 CAD, (then deducts the transfer fee of $2.66CAD).

63.75/55=1.159.

This was on a day when the mid market exchange rate was 1.209x for most of the day.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

@itolduandso wrote:

The only reason you list on .COM if you can is because the payout is in USD.  If you list on .CA then the payout is automatic in CAD and you don't have the option.

The fact the US is bigger shouldn't impact your sales, in theory at least, although there have been anecdotical reports with some saying listing on .CA gives more visibility for their items to US and some saying in contrary. The proof is in the pudding, unless somebody takes the major effort to do a A/B testing for both scenarios. Another impact could be of course the USD/CAD fluctuations affecting the selling.

I haven't see any report saying 67.85 are better than 67.83 just because rounder number. Buyer on ebay buys the cheapest/fastest/most reliable option regardless of how round the number is.

That said, national sentiments may play role, if you sell to US, they may prefer by from US sellers.

Not sure if this is coming into play or not but by doing a quick check of my listings on dot com I see the selling price shows in Canadian with the associated price in USD. For the shipping options they ONLY show in CAD (C). A buyer would only see the shipping in USD when they got to making payment part of the program.  That weird (higher) dollar (C) amount for just the shipping could be having a direct affect on whether they choose to buy or go to next. Not saying it's causing all the confusion, but maybe some of it with more folks now shopping online!!

It shows similarly on dot ca for a Canadian buyer shopping with a US seller. We just may be more adept at understanding exchange rates and the cost involved with buying Internationally. It would be like a US shopper suddenly having to pay for customs fees on anything and everything they bought from Canada. Can you imagine how well that would go over?😨

-Lotz

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

The USD/CAD selling price ratio requires brain effort and unnecessary slows down the buyer. What's the point of showing the information, it's unnecessary and too much information. It could play a role in particular for a new buyer in the US purchasing on Ebay for the first time may get worried there are hidden charges and fees and end up paying more. Canadians are used to doing conversion all the time and we have the numbers in the head.

Just think of some trivia interviews of random people in the US who were asked what is the capital of Canada (some suggesting Montreal) or to name the countries north of USA and some suggested Russia was North of Canada (well likely poles shifting was taken into consideration too).

Familiarity, ease and convenience is what most marketers would highlight are importat to prevent shopping cart abandonment.

I don't think many US shoppers go to shop on Amazon.CA, even if it had products listed that are not available on Amazon.com. 

Last technical question is I am wondering if there is a difference how items are displayed on the US ebay.COM if:

1) Canadian buyer registered on ebay.CA lists on ebay.COM

2) Canadian buyer registered on ebay.COM lists on ebay.COM

In both scenarios the billing and listing currency is USD always.

Likely will be showing same way but I am still wondering if Ebay doesn't show the CAD some place.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

managed payments

I looked at Paypal fees and maybe you are right. It might have been something like 3.5% plus 1.5% or they have also personal payments 5% for consumber transactions and there is different schedule for commercial transactions for business accounts. Maybe you take a look if you see anything there, otherwise I would contact PayPal to ask them explain, you have right to know.

Consumer

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Business

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees

Message 27 of 27
latest reply