okay right ya....

So had a item pulled today for  identifying the particular color of a part. 

A part on an item that helps define the item, that color being part of the description of the item

has a specific name, it being that color.

So if I can not call it (color)what it is, HOW IS THAT NOT MISLEADING  buyers????????

Calling it what it is isn't, how is that "NOT MISLEADING"  

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

okay right ya....

know it all too well and it occurs on other selling venues too...can't use the color " ivory" as well as a few others that are "banned" by some sites. I sell hand knit items and often it is very frustrating trying to describe the actual and most appropriate color for an item, even when the yarn color is commercially known and branded using that specific named color. Usually have to go with the best similar descriptive color...

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

okay right ya....

So 

what happens if I call it, not what it is, but an acceptable to ebay name,

the buyer, buys it ,as being that name (okay lets call it white).

gets item, and it is not as named, because ebay (has deep identify problems) would NOT let me accurately describe the item correctly opens as significantly NOT AS DISCRIBED claim ,claim it is not as offered i.e.: being white when what arrived at his door is the item, but not the described color, but is that other color, that can not be named. Does the buyer have cause for a claim of SNAD. 

Yup I being difficult, but pushing for a answer. 

or should i just send the meds to ebay? 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

okay right ya....

There are many synonyms for ivory.

EBay prohibits that particular word because of CERTES  protections on elephants- although I believe it also extends to walrus, narwhal and mammoth ivory.

https://thesaurus.yourdictionary.com/ivory

The best and most accurate would be "cream" or "creamy" in my opinion, although I learned a new word "fulvous" which would probably be a very poor keyword in Search.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

okay right ya....

It is not illegal to sell antique Ivory in Canada or even pre-1990 ivory.

Until a few years ago it was legal to sell antique ivory in the US as well.

I've often wondered how eBay Canada deals with this and if they pull every item which uses the word "ivory" like eBay.com does.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

okay right ya....

yes, and I usually use cream-colored, off-white, aran, etc...

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

okay right ya....

@in-need-of-cash-too 

Would Alabaster, Chalk or Cream Colored work for your item? Another suggestion is Pearl/Mother of Pearl, but even those have been known to cause grief. There are can be issues if you used  Light or Dark as part of the colour description in an older listing.  I've come across a number of my listings where Item Specifics got magically modified when eBay started updating certain categories dropping that part of the color in a newly created field.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

okay right ya....

@sylviebee 

Similar to the same brouhaha Canadian sellers have if they try to sell anything connected to Kuba(Spelling intentional). Totally legal for a Canadian to go there. Still considered an embargoed country in eBay's eyes. If something is considered perfectly legal in Canada a Canadian seller should not be blocked from selling to another Canadian

-Lotz

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

okay right ya....

Until a few years ago it was legal to sell antique ivory in the US as well.

As eBay is a US company they go with US law.

And the legal department probably told them to err on the side of caution about ivory sales, because ... how do you prove it's antique?
My eldest sister inherited our aunt's ivory necklace (Auntie Liz died in 1949) but she won't wear it nor does her daughter want to inherit it.

Basically, ivory looks best on the elephant.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

okay right ya....

elephants, no argument, same with narwhales and all beasts of that adornment. 

But we not talking about the article, we are talking about the color.  

there has to be a rational reasonable acceptable alternative...

cheers all 

on a lighter note  "go wash your hands".  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

okay right ya....

@femmefan1946 

I got grief awhile back for trying sell products made BY Ivory. Just makes ya want to shake your head!!! Like whodda thunk it??

-Lotz

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

okay right ya....

I've often wondered this as well - is it accurate to say eBay prohibits the selling of Ivory whether or not it is legal or illegal in ones Country?

That said there is a lot of ivory for sale on eBay. I don't know how folks get away with it, I always get flagged for ivory items that aren't even ivory.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

okay right ya....

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected 

@sylviebee 

To my thinking they've bypassed by using words like artificial, simulated or faux as part of the description / item specifics. The bots are not perfect. Almost hit or miss. In some cases they (the seller) may be unsure or alternative, being creatively sneaky.  Then there is the part about interpretation and mixed signals from eBay Help & CS.  On the flipside, it's not easy to be 100 % knowledgeable on every listing one creates. All one can do is as much research as humanly possible or ask around whenever in doubt before hitting the old send button.

-Lotz

Message 13 of 13
latest reply