"The refund you sent didn't go through". Why?

I received a return item from the buyer. eBay calculated the amount that I should refund. Following the issue refund process, at the last step for refund, eBay keeps giving me the error message "The refund you sent didn't go through". What happen to eBay now? I have enough money in Paypal to pay back the buyer. I have tried both eBay.ca and eBay.com and get same error. 

If I go directly to Paypal and refund, would I get my fees back? The refund is 20% less original payment, without showing the eBay calculation, and there is no space in Paypal for entering this calculation. They buyer maybe confused.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: "The refund you sent didn't go through". Why?

I couldn't decide on using .com or .ca.

I use both and the basis on which I choose a site is shipping.

If the item can ship LetterMail/Light Packet (under 2cm and 500 grams), it goes on dotCOM.

If it has to go parcel, it goes on dotCA, where Calculated Shipping is available.

My items are too different from yours for my sales experience to mean anything, but over the past few years I have noticed a drop in US sales which has been offset by an increase in Canadian and overseas sales.

But mostly I believe that has to do with dissatisfaction among buyers with the Global Shipping Program.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You should have the buyer's email from Paypal as well as being able to contact her through eBay messages.

Use both to ask if her PP ID is correct.

If she doesn't have an actual PP account the money may have gone to her credit card directly, but that message would not have shown up in that case.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

There are some cards its impossible for paypal to send money back to.   The only way is for the buyer to have a paypal account and send money to their email as a new transaction

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You should check to make sure the refund didn't go through. I had a return request, I did a refund instead of return, when I went to submit it, an error message came up that the refund didn't go through. When I checked my Paypal account and sold section in Ebay, the refund did actually go through.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Same thing happened to us today.  Went to do the refund for the return and got the error message saying it didn't go through with a suggestion to do the refund directly through PayPal. We have not done that because I am not sure the return request will be closed if we do it that way.

When we checked our PayPal account I was sure the total funds amount had gone down but did not see an individual transaction saying a refund happened.

I guess I should contact eBay

@olderbetterever wrote:

I received a return item from the buyer. eBay calculated the amount that I should refund. Following the issue refund process, at the last step for refund, eBay keeps giving me the error message "The refund you sent didn't go through". What happen to eBay now? I have enough money in Paypal to pay back the buyer. I have tried both eBay.ca and eBay.com and get same error. 

If I go directly to Paypal and refund, would I get my fees back? The refund is 20% less original payment, without showing the eBay calculation, and there is no space in Paypal for entering this calculation. They buyer maybe confused.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thanks to all that have been very helpful. I would like to update what happened to the refund process.

After trying to send refund that was not successful, I checked my Paypal account to confirm no money was sent out.

In order to avoid multiple refunds, I decided to call eBay for help and let them know my refund link error message.

I were told eBay would send refund for me and the case would be closed. I were given a Paypal reference number.

That didn't show up on my eBay or Paypal as "refunded" neither. It still has the link for "issue refund" for a few days. There was no money came out of my account. Meanwhile I have been updating my buyer about the refund process through eBay message. 

Until two days near the deadline for refund, I kept getting reminders from eBay to "issue refund". I were really hesitating if I should make a manual refund. Since I left it for eBay, also to avoid duplicate payments,  I decided not to do anything and wait. I know eBay has my record of calling for help and all the messages I had with the buyer regarding the refund process.

Right after the deadline, eBay sent me two messages: one mentioned that a refund was sent on behalf of me. My Paypal account showed money has gone back to the buyer 100% instead of what was supposed to be 20% less (amount calculated automatically by eBay) as if I could send it on my own using the link. The other message said the case is closed (instead of 4 days waiting).

Now I believe all that eBay issues are related to the automatic programming that is not working instead of the problem on the buyer's payment method. I have set up my account to accept buyers with verified Paypal accounts and Paypal payment is my only accepted.

My account also has other issue with responding to buyer's questions. Even though I click the link for "answer buyer's question" and answers are sent more than once, the marker "unanswered questions" in bold red keeps and stays on my listing. It won't go away no matter what I do. 

Perhaps the issue lies on my eBay account that was originally set up at eBay.com and my accounts are in US dollars. Now I am listing at eBay.ca using Canadian dollars. 

I don't know how long eBay will come to fix my account. Meanwhile I am very disappointed. I still don't know if the above refund issue would have any effect on my seller performance. Another thought is, should I go back to eBay.com and list in US dollars. 

I used to have both US and Canadian customers in a 50/50 ratio. Now I seem to have only Canadians. I don't sell a lot. I plan to list more for sale and subscribe for a store. The problems with eBay has put me on hold as I couldn't decide on using .com or .ca.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I couldn't decide on using .com or .ca.

I use both and the basis on which I choose a site is shipping.

If the item can ship LetterMail/Light Packet (under 2cm and 500 grams), it goes on dotCOM.

If it has to go parcel, it goes on dotCA, where Calculated Shipping is available.

My items are too different from yours for my sales experience to mean anything, but over the past few years I have noticed a drop in US sales which has been offset by an increase in Canadian and overseas sales.

But mostly I believe that has to do with dissatisfaction among buyers with the Global Shipping Program.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Right, most of my items can't be shipped in letter mail. I am moving some items to the dotCOM and see how it goes. I do find it difficult to provide calculated shipping and taxes for Canadians.
Luckily, my US bound packages are handled by a courier company that delivers in bulk to cross the border and use USPS, so my costs are actually better than shipping within Canada.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

So you can use domestic USPS shipping rates for your US customers and a flat rate for the much fewer Canadian customers based on massaged Canada Post rates?

I'm going to assume you and your accountant have had a chat about GSP tax credits for exports.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

No. I am not aware of GSP shipping credits. When I use a courier like UPS or Fedex, they charge me the HST full amount. Now, I only pay the shipping handling company a handling fee + USPS postage. All ends up better than Canada Post. This won't work if I ship within Canada.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

After some work re-listing a few items at dotCoM. My number of views on these few items are horrible. It is only 5 days though. I am not sure if it is due to the holiday or something else. I will still leave it there and observe for longer period like 30days. If it is still bad, I will have to move them back to dotCA.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

As a note, my recollection is that normally for me (in the stamp world) easter weekend is slower.

However this year it has been abysmal! Especially the last 3 days, my worst three days in a very long time....

I only sell on .COM and I have a number of "sponsored" items running. The views are trending down the last few days on them as well.

Hopefully today is the day things pick up again!
Message 12 of 12
latest reply