"Watchers" not showing in listing

Recently the subject of "watchers" not showing in listing, was brought up here.  Someone said they would only show, if there were 5 or more.  I currently have a listing with 6 watching, they do not show in the listing, only on my home page.  Other like items from other sellers, show at least 5.  So, what's going on.  Even if, as someone said here, it makes no difference if there are watchers or not, it makes a difference to me.  Obviously, we are not all treated the same on ebay.  

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

After my post here, the "watchers" mysteriously appeared in the listing.  The item sold, so I do believe that when an item seem interesting it may promote selling.  

Aside, there seem to be no reason for not showing all "watchers".  Why only 5 or more.  Wonder what genius decided that.  The constant nonsensical tinkering with selling formats is enough to drive a person crazy.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It seems that ebay has established a new benchmark when it comes to watchers (5 or more). 

Why that is remains a mystery and I believe there is still desirability in a item having 1-4 watchers from a selling perspective.

On the flip-side I prefer to buy an item with little to no watchers if my purpose is for resale down the road.... out of sight, out of mind.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Congrats on the sale... I've a few auctions running with 4 and 5 watchers, no watcher info appears on any of the listing pages which is a shame.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Found several listings in category "womens fur coat" with 2+ watching in red.  This showed on the listings in the category, not on the actual listing.  ie. listing 173188726093 several listings from this seller shows 2 +and 3+ watching.  They are located in Marrocco, so don't know which ebay site they are using.  It appears, there are different types of "watch" notices.  Mine did not show in red.  If I thought I'd get an answer, I'd bring this up on Wednesday.  Can't think of any sensible answer though, so will probably just let it go.

Aside, I would think  an advertiser, ebay, would do anything to promote sales, here it seems the opposite is true.  Limiting searches, and prevent views, does not seem proactive.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

they started us in USA in late Jan. The affect on us has been devastating 70%

south with higher priced one of a kind items suffering most.

Here is a post from a USA seller we found very informative:

Hello, here is all I know about this so far

This started being implemented on Tuesday 23rd of January 2018 (USA)

I have recently been informed by an ebay rep that the removal of watchers is in fact a trial (or had been relabeled "a trial" due to the overwhelming negitive responce) (this explains why unlike other changes, this change has not yet had 100% confirmation of being permanent)

it is being left this way for research purposes in order to gauge the reaction from sellers, buyers, and its effect on sales.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I expect they will review the effect this had before deciding whether or not to show the watchers again.

There is no known deadline to this trial, I wish I could find out more, If they have already decided never to show watchers again they should make a formal announcement so that I can make plans to sell elsewhere. Because I am now making around $10 in a 10 day time frame instead of the $1700 I made in the 10 days before the watchers were removed.

I hope they do bring the watchers back because it is essential for the many items that are priced depending upon their percieved popularity at any given time, which is something buyers of antiques and used luxury goods like to have data for , the watchers provide that data. it is similar for rare and high value collectables as well as used designer brands. (I have given all my most powerful arguments such as this to ebay which have all been written down and been passed on for review) so I will have wait in hope.

The best advice I can give to other sellers who are suffering from this is to call ebay with details of how it is affecting them and ask for their complaint to be passed on to the relevant department.

( don't be put off because others have already said the same thing, its about numbers rather than the originality of your statement)

I am pleased to report that buyers are also complaining about this, which is really good of them considering they have a lot less to lose financially from this problem ("trial")

The results are in for me: the money made though my ebay accounts is less than 5% of what it was with watchers over the same time frame (barely enough to cover listing fees), if they don't put watchers back on the item view page my ebay accounts are basically finished!

for anyone reading also google the following " ecommercebytes 1517174414 " and read the article "ebay makes unnanounced changes to item page" useful information there and some good readers comments from other concerned sellers.

(flame icon) 3 watched in last 24 hours: Ebay are still showing this allert on the view item page (Directly below the title in BOLD, RED, and with a HOT FLAME!)
MAJOR CONTRADICTION! they either want buyers to know about watchers or they don't?!

Plus lots of my items have 10 percent of the sale price donated to charity. These charities are now suffering an unnecessary loss in donations since this problem is killing my sales! (and likely 1000's of other charity sales who rely on the watch number displayed to boost sales, resulting in potentially hundreds of thousands of pounds not going to good causes)

It is a major issue because displaying the number of watchers should increase the frequency of sales as well as the average price because it shows when an item is popular, (popularity, competition, and a sense of urgency should trigger a person to buy an item more quickly)

Buyers so used to seeing the number of watchers on items will assume an item with no watchers is priced too high or is simply no good. This will be the case for all sorts of items until ebay start having the number of watchers displayed in the listings again!

I can't sell anything especially my higher price items which rely on the "social proof" confidence formally provided by the watch number being displayed,

I have been slowly bulding my experience on ebay for 10 years, I had just recently got to the stage where I was selling about $2500 a month and was excited about the future. Since the watchers are no longer being displayed I have made just $10 after fees!

I hope ebay can make a clearly worded formal statement as to whether or not they have made the final decision on this

Thanks to everyone here who has called in to ebay about this 

Also  "WATCHCOUNT" streams data straight from ebay so we know it's not a glitch.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

"Buyers so used to seeing the number of watchers on items will assume an item with no watchers is priced too high or is simply no good. This will be the case for all sorts of items until ebay start having the number of watchers displayed in the listings again!" 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

"Perception is everything"
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I'm Having the same issue as you, with  my watchers not showing up on my listing as well. We all know how critical this element is to prompting that I gotta buy it now response from customers/buyers on eBay, as they think it might not be there when they get back, they buy it now!. This is a win win for the seller & eBay, we both get paid ... isnt this the point of selling on eBay having all these features & them working correctly, weather automated by eBay or our own free will like promoting our listing, using the stores and its tools, est. these tools are there to help the seller and for eBay to make money and sell, sell, sell like it was designed to.

So why is the watchers not showing on the my listing? Is it a Glitch? Is it only for some users and not others??? ... Can I/we the ebay community, who's sales make eBay what it is. Without any sellers what would eBay be? and without eBay where would the sellers be... probably on Amazon (Jokes).

But seriously eBay Do us right as sellers! we spend a lot of time doing what we do! we just what all/as much advantages as we can get. is that to much to ask on behalf of all the sellers on eBay, that the site work correctly glitch free?

Show our watchers on our listings ... That's all I/we want! Will you help us?

Maybe after i leave a message my watchers will appear to like my friend posted earlier ... 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Sadly a management decision made with no thought to how it would/could affect sellers.  Never did understand the rationale behind this "change". For me, when an item eventually(eventually the key word) arrives at that magic 5 number, it sells within a week. Religiously!!!! Am I allowed to say guaranteed? With OOAK items its a magic trigger for an item. Especially if it was listed ages ago.

-Lotz

PS.  ZOMBIE THREAD from 2018.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 11 of 11
latest reply