wrong picture in ad

add1956
Community Member

I have a buyer that is claiming an item is not as described and wants a full and total refund because one of the two pictures in the ad were not of the item being sold. However, the title and the written description describe the item EXACTLY. Is he correct or

Should I:

A) deny the refund

B) return the cost of the item but not shipping

C) return everything

The item is not expensive enough for me to pay for return shipping. $10.50

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: wrong picture in ad

The correct answer is:

d) give full and immediate refund with apologies for the mistake.

As a seller you are 100% responsible for inserting the wrong image in your listing. The buyer should not have to pay for return shipping.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

"The item is not expensive enough for me to pay for return shipping. $10.50"

So the buyer gets to keep the item for free even though (assuming he could read) he got what he wanted and bid for.

I don't think he has a case and is using the pic to get a freebe.

At the most I'd refund the bid and tell him to ship the item back at his expense if that's according to your return policy.

I had a similar complaint that went to the higher courts and when the buyer found out to return the item he would have to pay for a shipping service that had tracking he backed off. The item was a repo however the buyer didn't read the description. 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

If the item is not worth you paying the $10.50 return shipping it is not worth the buyer paying it either. Were I the buyer and you tried to pull that  I'd leave appropriate feedback and DSR's.

As a seller I'd refund immediately and apologise for my mistake.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

"Were I the buyer and you tried to pull that I'd leave appropriate feedback and DSR's."

I doubt Add1956 was trying to pull anything. The wrong picture was an honest mistake.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

"The wrong picture was an honest mistake."

I think most sellers will agree it was an honest mistake.  It is a mistake nevertheless by the seller and the buyer should not be out one penny for a mistake by the seller.

We all have to accept responsibility in life when we make mistakes.  In this case, it will cost the seller a few dollars. Nobody else should have to pay for that mistake.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

We all have to accept responsibility in life when we make mistakes. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Sorry forgot the quotes.

The seller should also remember, if being adult about errors is not enough, that the buyer can leave feedback and Detailed Seller Ratings describing her feelings about the transaction.

Is your business worth $10.50?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

So no matter what Femme it's a gotcha no matter if it's $10.50 or $150? There is no principle as far as the seller is concerned? The one I described earlier was $75 and I wasn't prepared to let it go because the buyer didn't read the content.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

The seller gave conflicting information in their listing...one picture didn't match with the info given. In a perfect world the buyer would have read everything and then asked the seller about the conflicting info. But ultimately the seller made the mistake so they are responsible for it.

If you put new in your title and then put repo in your description, you wouldn't feel that you were responsible for it? Or if you put a picture of a brand new, never used item and put repo in your description...it's up to the buyer to catch that mistake too?

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

This "Is your business worth $10.50?"

if you believe you're business is worth more than I think you should get him to ship it back than refund and pay for it all if u think it's not worth it than give him the item if you don't think it's worth getting it back. Honestly how much do you think you're losing i'll just assume 20$ if you are paying 10 for shipping back to you and it's a 10$ item also if you have insurance jar than i'm sure you aren't actuley losing that much you just lost you're insurance jar fund which was put aside for these cases!

Good luck!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

"If you put new in your title and then put repo in your description, you wouldn't feel that you were responsible for it? Or if you put a picture of a brand new, never used item and put repo in your description...it's up to the buyer to catch that mistake too?"

You're making assumptions, there was no mistake. New was not in the title. Repo was in the description which the buyer failed to read I guess.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Or if you put a picture of a brand new, never used item and put repo in your description...it's up to the buyer to catch that mistake too?"

You're making assumptions, there was no mistake. New was not in the title. Repo was in the description which the buyer failed to read I guess.  

The picture was not correct. That's not an assumption. My point is that if there is conflicting information, the seller is responsible.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

"Or if you put a picture of a brand new, never used item and put repo in your description...it's up to the buyer to catch that mistake too?"

Yep, here's a repo, can you tell if it's new or a repo? This was a reissue in 2006 by the Heddon lure company. A new repo!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply